TEMS removal

hkstuner4590

Aug 27, 2007
Waukesha. Wi
Has anybody removed the Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension system (TEMS)? I was thinking of removing it and save some weight? Is it easy or hard?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Most remove it for a better supsension upgrade. You should think of going on a diet to save weight, not trying to be mean or anything, but the supra will NEVER be a light car. The bulk of the weight in the car is the actual frame.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I love how people say you shouldnt remove dead weight off the supra because its already heavy. Well removing 5 pounds off an already light car makes about just as much sense. In the end 5 pounds is 5 pounds no matter the total weight of the car to begin with. If you want to be lighter you have to take if off a bit at a time, Id think an already heavy car would benefit from all the weight removal you can. Rather than an already light car wouldnt see as much benefit since its already light....

Im not saying remove tems just to save weight but if you dont use it then year remove it and save weight.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I don't see the TEMS, when functioning, as DEAD WEIGHT. The dust covers are though, just make sure you keep the actuators clean. That's like, what? 1/2 pound altogether??

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
starscream5000 said:
I don't see the TEMS, when functioning, as DEAD WEIGHT. The dust covers are though, just make sure you keep the actuators clean. That's like, what? 1/2 pound altogether??

As I said, if you dont use the tems because you have after market shocks, anything to do with the tems is dead weight no matter how heavy...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
iwannadie said:
As I said, if you dont use the tems because you have after market shocks, anything to do with the tems is dead weight no matter how heavy...

He didn't originally say that he doesn't use the TEMS, therefore it wasn't dead weight.

Be advised, once you remove the TEMS, if they were functioning (mine still do) then you will noticed a decrease in handling response from the car.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
starscream5000 said:
He didn't originally say that he doesn't use the TEMS, therefore it wasn't dead weight.

Be advised, once you remove the TEMS, if they were functioning (mine still do) then you will noticed a decrease in handling response from the car.

Isnt there an easy wire bypass to put the tems in the stiffest mode. That way if you keep the shocks but loose the Tems at least youll be in stiff mode. Or jsut use some pliers to turn the adjuster on the shocks. If your looking for just the handling and not the comfort from the tems setup.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
iwannadie said:
Isnt there an easy wire bypass to put the tems in the stiffest mode. That way if you keep the shocks but loose the Tems at least youll be in stiff mode. Or jsut use some pliers to turn the adjuster on the shocks. If your looking for just the handling and not the comfort from the tems setup.
Yea, you can do that, :nono: but you will soon realize that they will wiggle their way back to the normal setting or worse while you drive! If you delete the tems delete the tems struts....PERIOD. Tokiko blues or kyb gt2 are good, relatively cheep, struts to replace them. Hks and blitz made controllers to lock them in stiff mode but you had to keep the tems system intact for it to work.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
all the TEMS components couldn't weigh more than 10 pounds...

it's all sprung weight too, so it's not a biggy...

Supras with good working TEMS handle and ride really well... I kinda wish I had TEMS on my car...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
ms07s said:
Yea, you can do that, :nono: but you will soon realize that they will wiggle their way back to the normal setting or worse while you drive! If you delete the tems delete the tems struts....PERIOD. Tokiko blues or kyb gt2 are good, relatively cheep, struts to replace them. Hks and blitz made controllers to lock them in stiff mode but you had to keep the tems system intact for it to work.

Lol just epoxy the screw head in place and not worry about them. When I had tems I never realy cared, It was always in sport mode never saw a need for normal mode. I switched to tokico blues and havent looked back.

Chance are if your still running factory original shocks with tems they are garbage no matter what setting they are in anyways. I can certainly see the use with new tems compatible shocks and the desire to adjust ride quality. Tems is a cool system for people that want it and have the shocks to back it up.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Epoxy the screw head in place and not worry about them? Why pay $400+ for tems struts if your going to do that! If they are original and don't work or you don't care for adjustability do this. Get some good tokico blues, remove tems actuators, and enjoy your new FIRM ride....:biglaugh:

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
ms07s said:
Epoxy the screw head in place and not worry about them? Why pay $400+ for tems struts if your going to do that! If they are original and don't work or you don't care for adjustability do this. Get some good tokico blues, remove tems actuators, and enjoy your new FIRM ride....:biglaugh:

Ya thats pretty much what I said, if you have old busted factory tems shocks set them to firmest and ditch tems. If you actually Want the tems function for what its intended for, buy new tems shocks and keep tems.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
i have the koni yellows, if you have a low drop the ride is really stiff. they were good, i liked them