Temperature Gauge

Axis 7m

May 24, 2008
Taxachusetts
So after my BHG replacement, Bottom end rebuild and installation or my reverse glow gauges(YESSSSSS) I go to start my car and as soon as i turn the key to Accessories my temp gauge shoots to just below hot. Well I start the car and let it run for awhile nothing is overheating, cabin air is nice and warm, no built up pressure in the coolant hoses or lines. I have a brand new radiator in, but no Thermostat in the engine sooo there shouldnt be any over heating really. I read a post about ppl replacing the coolant gauge sensor. So i had another one laying around and replaced it with the one that was in. No change at all, Now after I installed the gauges the temp gauge doesnt read cold when the engine is off (have to fix the gauge) But my question is why is the gauge reading almost hot before i even turn then engine over? Maybe the ECU needs a reset? I dunno. Sorry if this doesnt make sense lol I just have everything runnin through my head just now. Thx in advance.

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
Umm so you had reverse glow gauges installed into the dash right? Who ever did the install more than likely didnt install the cluster and have the accessories on when they installed the needles back on the gauges. You have to do that for the temp, because otherwise it wont read correctly. Buy an aftermarket gauge and you wont have that problem, unless you broke the line.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Did your gauge move at all? even if it doesnt sit at cold when the engine is hot with should move up anyways. Only the battery gauge (na) and fuel guage should move when you turn the key on. Your coolant gauge should not move. until the engine is hot.

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
I had the same issue with my car. Because the gauges will cycle on start up, and the temp gauge will sit where it was when removed. So turn on the acc when the engine is cold (let it sit over night) and pull the needle off, turn the acc on, then put the needle at cold. That way it has cycled. I just opted to put in aftermarket temp gauge in a 3 gauge cluster i picked up for like 30 bux.

Axis 7m

May 24, 2008
Taxachusetts
87nasupra;1139638 said:
Did your gauge move at all? even if it doesnt sit at cold when the engine is hot with should move up anyways. Only the battery gauge (na) and fuel guage should move when you turn the key on. Your coolant gauge should not move. until the engine is hot.

Yea it moves to just below the redline. And at rest it sits just below the middle. My fuel gauge is just stuck at full aswell. But i should be abe to fix that one easy.