Targa Brace?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
NashMan said:
scary for tall ish man to medium man i whould sell it with wraped fome around it just cause mealt to head is never a good thing
in less you were hellmet were ever you go

i think best way to get rid fo flex is this if you wana drive fast take coners fast leav the freaking top on or just get a simple 4 point cage

Oh, I fully intend on getting a 4pt cage as well as putting in the targa brace! I just hope to get the stiffest chassis I can get out of my 88 while keeping the top off for summer driving. :evil2: And I'm not a tall guy, at about 5'10.5", but I think your idea of padding the brace as a just-in-case is the way to go. Why did I not think of it?!?

I'm looking forward to seeing the different solutions you guys come up with. If I had a bit more free time, I'd likely be playing around with ideas as well! Just make sure to keep us up to date, Ideal and Weezl!!

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Neodeuccio said:
Oh, I fully intend on getting a 4pt cage as well as putting in the targa brace! I just hope to get the stiffest chassis I can get out of my 88 while keeping the top off for summer driving. :evil2: And I'm not a tall guy, at about 5'10.5", but I think your idea of padding the brace as a just-in-case is the way to go. Why did I not think of it?!?

I'm looking forward to seeing the different solutions you guys come up with. If I had a bit more free time, I'd likely be playing around with ideas as well! Just make sure to keep us up to date, Ideal and Weezl!!

mine will prob be another month before i even have a prototype...weezl however has his for sale already in the approved group buy section. they are definitley a gorgeous piece. but im not sure if its what YOU are looking for as it doesnt allow the top to be put back on with it in place.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
if you are puttign in front part 4 point it is not need in any way if you are doing teh rear section then i guess it can be used

but here is the kicker you are not aloud to race with the top off in any sort of raceing t top are aloud thou like mr2's in less you have hoop in place akak front part 4 point

just so every one know s

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
NashMan said:
if you are puttign in front part 4 point it is not need in any way if you are doing teh rear section then i guess it can be used

but here is the kicker you are not aloud to race with the top off in any sort of raceing t top are aloud thou like mr2's in less you have hoop in place akak front part 4 point

just so every one know s

I was thinking of the rear 4pt so as to not interfere with getting in/out of the car. If it were just me, I'd put a 6pt cage in, but I intend to keep this car as much of a daily driver as possibly, and my GF would kill me. And it's a damned shame you can't race with the top off, but I doubt I'll ever actually compete. I just love driving my car! :biglaugh:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Yes, I have ridden in a hardtop. My NA is a hardtop. I hear what you are saying about the whole top in/top out issues. But let me make 2 things clear.

1. My brace is not purely cosmetic and was not designed to be cosmetic first and a little function thrown in as well. It is a fully fucntional brace that has been tested numerous times on one of the twistiest roads in the area.
2. Im am NOT in anyway bashing your idea or your plan and I fully believe that there is room in the market for both of us and I fully welcome the competition. I hope your bar serves the purpose you intend for it, and I believe if you make a solid product it will do well.

Some people are of the same mindset as me and others have expressed a desire to have a brace that is permanent. If there is any information I can offer please feel free to contact me.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Idealsupra said:
all good points except one... have you ever riden in a hardtop supra? compared to a targa supra WITH the targa ON there is so much of a difference still. this bar ON with the targa on helps increase the rigidity etc....

i think your bar is great...however as you yourself have stated it is more for the cosmetic side with a little bit of function thrown in.... the one im producing will be 100% function FIRST...and it will be cosmetically appealing after.... even though it will be rather appealing when done ;)

as for the headroom.... if you can sit with the targa on in your car and put 3 fingers between your head and the roof....this bar will be fine for you....

the cutting required to make it work is minimal and wont even be noticed if done properly and the bar can be coated or padded in many ways.

putting a cage in as stated above also would help but it STILL wouldnt not help the targa body flex because it doesnt mount in the proper points to do so.

hope that info helps.
:bigthumb: always like the x-style, and your idea, is simply the best i've heard... makes sense to me :)

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
theWeezL said:
Yes, I have ridden in a hardtop. My NA is a hardtop. I hear what you are saying about the whole top in/top out issues. But let me make 2 things clear.

1. My brace is not purely cosmetic and was not designed to be cosmetic first and a little function thrown in as well. It is a fully fucntional brace that has been tested numerous times on one of the twistiest roads in the area.
2. Im am NOT in anyway bashing your idea or your plan and I fully believe that there is room in the market for both of us and I fully welcome the competition. I hope your bar serves the purpose you intend for it, and I believe if you make a solid product it will do well.

Some people are of the same mindset as me and others have expressed a desire to have a brace that is permanent. If there is any information I can offer please feel free to contact me.

sorry man what i said was misunderstood... OBVIOUSLY your bar has a lot of function.... i didnt mean it like what you seem to think i did.

what i meant was the bar im making will be slightly more structurally sound...more for the hardcore guys rather then the casual targa off days.... if that makes sense... the bar im making will use internal bracing such as the cusco bars.... and will also use an arched X pattern....so the strees will be completely centered.

anyways obviously im a fan of your product and ANYONE who steps up and makes something this community doesnt have or cold use more. so kudos to that!

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
tekdeus said:
Both of you guys might want to also sell these bars on eBay. There is a very large number of people who don't know about the forums.

I don't know how much of a market there is, but hell, I'd say it's worth a shot.

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
I'm not that tall (5'-8") but I have no headroom issues with the bar that Kyle built for me. I did have to modify both the front and rear headliner pans, then reupholster them, so I am very interested in seeing what you have designed Jayson.

I definitely wanted one that stayed on the car, that's why I bugged Kyle for a year or more to build me one, although I can see where alot of people would like to have what WeezL developed.

I doubt that you will be able to build anything more rigid than Kyle's bar though. But don't believe me, go ask him for pictures of his construction and how he built his flat oval tubing.

p414638_1.jpg

p414638_2.jpg

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Rajunz said:
I'm not that tall (5'-8") but I have no headroom issues with the bar that Kyle built for me. I did have to modify both the front and rear headliner pans, then reupholster them, so I am very interested in seeing what you have designed Jayson.

I definitely wanted one that stayed on the car, that's why I bugged Kyle for a year or more to build me one, although I can see where alot of people would like to have what WeezL developed.

I doubt that you will be able to build anything more rigid than Kyle's bar though. But don't believe me, go ask him for pictures of his construction and how he built his flat oval tubing.

p415762_1.jpg

p415762_2.jpg

That is a gorgeous brace! I love the simplicity of it! Can you leave it in while the targa's in place? And what is Kyle's handle so I can ask him about it?

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Thanks Neodeuccio, Yes the bar stays on the car while the top goes back on. It makes for another great "Oh Shit" handle.:biglaugh:

Kyle's handle is projectsupra, he's a real nice guy so I'm sure he'll share with you most of the details, but I don't think he will build anymore. They were way too labor intensive. For the flat tubing alone, he took 1" pipe and sliced it in half, welded it to the sides of 1" square stock, then grinded all of the welds down, and that was all before he even started building the actual brace. Before I painted it, I finished detailing it by molding in the welds around the gussets with fiberglass and bondo.

He's also the guy that built the T-Top MKIII using a roof panel from a Nissan Z, very talented individual.

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Rajunz said:
Thanks Neodeuccio, Yes the bar stays on the car while the top goes back on. It makes for another great "Oh Shit" handle.:biglaugh:

Kyle's handle is projectsupra, he's a real nice guy so I'm sure he'll share with you most of the details, but I don't think he will build anymore. They were way too labor intensive. For the flat tubing alone, he took 1" pipe and sliced it in half, welded it to the sides of 1" square stock, then grinded all of the welds down, and that was all before he even started building the actual brace. Before I painted it, I finished detailing it by molding in the welds around the gussets with fiberglass and bondo.

He's also the guy that built the T-Top MKIII using a roof panel from a Nissan Z, very talented individual.

any pics?