Targa Brace?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I heard something a while back that I've been kicking around and trying to figure out how to do. I heard that someone had created a brace for their targa car that they could keep in when the targa was put back on. The way I figure, they would have had to strip the targa itself so it was just the top piece, but how would then attach it to the car?

Does anyone know who did this, or how it was done?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Neodeuccio said:
I heard something a while back that I've been kicking around and trying to figure out how to do. I heard that someone had created a brace for their targa car that they could keep in when the targa was put back on. The way I figure, they would have had to strip the targa itself so it was just the top piece, but how would then attach it to the car?

Does anyone know who did this, or how it was done?

I will more then likely be producing a bar that is exactly like this. it will be form fit to the roof line and will be able to be left in with the targa ON. the headliner will stay in place the only mod to the actual car to use it is cutting two oval shapes in the front vinyl type headlinder (where the sunvisors connector).

stay tuned.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Idealsupra said:
I will more then likely be producing a bar that is exactly like this. it will be form fit to the roof line and will be able to be left in with the targa ON. the headliner will stay in place the only mod to the actual car to use it is cutting two oval shapes in the front vinyl type headlinder (where the sunvisors connector).

stay tuned.

I would LOVE to see that when it's done!!! Please send pics when you get it finished!!!

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
neo, are you talking about keeping the brace in the car where the targa is kept in the trunk? i think a few people have designed one that stashes in the same storage space as the targa.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
no he is talking about a targa bar that NEVER comes off...so it increases strength and rigidity at ALL times...and you can install and remove the targa at will...

something like this:

20210271DSC01975.JPG

im taking this design and modifying it a bit so the front and rear arch up to follow the roof line...so everything will be inline and very little head room is lost.... these will stay on 100% of the time and are internally braced.

mine will be coming out in hopefully around a month from now.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Yeah, Ideal has the right idea. I'm not sure where I heard of it, it was a while back, but i think it's a great idea and I'd love to see one!

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I sat in my car and thought... that there will be too little room, when this thing's in there... or it'll look like plain crap interior..

he lives

Oct 6, 2006
Yakima,WA
I've looked into this a bit myself and think something along the lines of what weezl has done is probably the best. If you are considering making one of these be very careful with the design and how/where the welds are. I don't think anyone here wants to get a 1" bar through the head if they were ever in an accident.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
ive seen kyles car (the 1 pictured with the full time targa brace) first person and being 6'5'' i still think i could sit in it no problem kyle designed and made the brace thats in his car i think he made 1 for rajunaz(sp?) too.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
SupaMan said:
ive seen kyles car (the 1 pictured with the full time targa brace) first person and being 6'5'' i still think i could sit in it no problem kyle designed and made the brace thats in his car i think he made 1 for rajunaz(sp?) too.

correct and i will be using his bar as a basis off an improved bar that will be more structurally sound, and more cosmetically and aesthetically appealing. the "problem with weezls bars are they have to come off to put the targa on...this bar does not... and this is IMO but an X brace will be more more structural sound then the shape his make as well as the fact that mine will be interally braced.

just some info.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
SupaMan said:

How do you sit in there? ghetto style? Lean back?:icon_razz

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
scary for tall ish man to medium man i whould sell it with wraped fome around it just cause mealt to head is never a good thing
in less you were hellmet were ever you go

i think best way to get rid fo flex is this if you wana drive fast take coners fast leav the freaking top on or just get a simple 4 point cage

Idealsupra said:
no he is talking about a targa bar that NEVER comes off...so it increases strength and rigidity at ALL times...and you can install and remove the targa at will...

something like this:

20210271DSC01975.JPG

im taking this design and modifying it a bit so the front and rear arch up to follow the roof line...so everything will be inline and very little head room is lost.... these will stay on 100% of the time and are internally braced.

mine will be coming out in hopefully around a month from now.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Generation3 (currently in production and shipping very soon) of my brace will slightly smaller and lighter and the design was altered slightly to make it even more rigid. However, I never intended it to be in the car while the roof was in place. I was never fond of the X-brace design and I never liked the idea of having to cut out part of the interior to make it work. I also wanted to be conscious of taller drivers loosing head room.

Rigidity of the chassis with my design is not a problem. Ask anyone who has one if its stout. Making it a true X shape wont increase rigidity significantly, however I did base part of my design on pure cosmetic reasons.

If you plan on making your supra an autocrosser or something like that, an x-type brace that remains in the car all the times may or may not be helpful. It seems to me that when the roof is in place it would be doing the same job as the brace and you would simply be adding weight to the car. But thats just my humble opinion.

Having said that I think there is room in the market for another targa brace and I welcome the competition.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
theWeezL said:
Generation3 (currently in production and shipping very soon) of my brace will slightly smaller and lighter and the design was altered slightly to make it even more rigid. However, I never intended it to be in the car while the roof was in place. I was never fond of the X-brace design and I never liked the idea of having to cut out part of the interior to make it work. I also wanted to be conscious of taller drivers loosing head room.

Rigidity of the chassis with my design is not a problem. Ask anyone who has one if its stout. Making it a true X shape wont increase rigidity significantly, however I did base part of my design on pure cosmetic reasons.

If you plan on making your supra an autocrosser or something like that, an x-type brace that remains in the car all the times may or may not be helpful. It seems to me that when the roof is in place it would be doing the same job as the brace and you would simply be adding weight to the car. But thats just my humble opinion.

Having said that I think there is room in the market for another targa brace and I welcome the competition.

all good points except one... have you ever riden in a hardtop supra? compared to a targa supra WITH the targa ON there is so much of a difference still. this bar ON with the targa on helps increase the rigidity etc....

i think your bar is great...however as you yourself have stated it is more for the cosmetic side with a little bit of function thrown in.... the one im producing will be 100% function FIRST...and it will be cosmetically appealing after.... even though it will be rather appealing when done ;)

as for the headroom.... if you can sit with the targa on in your car and put 3 fingers between your head and the roof....this bar will be fine for you....

the cutting required to make it work is minimal and wont even be noticed if done properly and the bar can be coated or padded in many ways.

putting a cage in as stated above also would help but it STILL wouldnt not help the targa body flex because it doesnt mount in the proper points to do so.

hope that info helps.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
well all spill some beans here the best way to run a traga brace as in my own idea for safty frist and stiffing secound for big people is box the opeing webing in the coners cetp the side beams will be octgon tube instead of box this is stroung then a box, bmw and many other german cars have bena useing these as there frame rail for yeasr now fill it with fome and bang done

stiff eghouigh and if you still think is is tiwsting go get duluck bar or make center brace another week point on the supra unibody

funny part is the duluck bar is made for lettign peoepl in the back cause if ti was made in perfromace only the bar whould ahve bean rasied about i inc for it to be in max afect