tachometer help.....

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
the tach appears to be wired correctly in the jumper harness, but I still don't get a signal. I've searched with no luck, but I thought that I read there was another source to pick up a signal for the tach. Am I right?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Hmmm... both of those wires go thru the M1 cpnnector... so, I'd check to make sure that you got connected to the right ones going to the dash/guages... Rick's got them mapped out here... http://1jz-gte.us/documents/SubDocs4/IG1-1990.pdf

Is the guage cluster from a turbo? An N/A (MKIII) tach does not seem to work well with any J-series signal.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Satan said:
Hmmm... both of those wires go thru the M1 cpnnector... so, I'd check to make sure that you got connected to the right ones going to the dash/guages... Rick's got them mapped out here... http://1jz-gte.us/documents/SubDocs4/IG1-1990.pdf

Is the guage cluster from a turbo? An N/A (MKIII) tach does not seem to work well with any J-series signal.

Both are wired correctly according to that pin out, so it's a tough question I guess. The gauge is a JZ tach in a 7M cluster....

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Mark,
the smaller connector on the ignitor has the tach signal. It should be the black wire ( first one. ) Put a continiuty test probe there and then run it to the 1st connector from the left if your cluster is out.YOu should probe the black wire with silver dots on it. That is your tach signal. If you have continuity, then the tach should work.
My tach cluster is off, so I will take some pictures and post for you in a few minutes.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
p440733_1.jpg

p440733_2.jpg

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
ok so you take a multimeter and connect one lead to the first pic and the other lead to the second, then switch it to continuity. and then what?

i'm an absolute nub when it comes to wiring and my tach doesn't work either. it's a turbo tach and i outsourced the harness, didn't extend it myself.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
yeah any help with this wouuld be great..... i did up the jumper harness.... and i took it all apart to double check but its all exactly how its supposed to be...

the gas gauge works, the stock boost gauge goes up to the top because its not connected to anything so thats expected....

cant tell on the coolant temp gauge since we havent left the car idle long enough to warm up at all....

any help would be great.... i still think something else is wrong other then just tach signal though...considering the oil pressure doesnt work either :(

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I thought that I read somewhere that there is problems with the 1J tach reading the signal. Maybe I'm thinking of an NA tach. Anyway, from what I recall, someone picked up the tach signal from another wire?!?!?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
rakkasan said:
I thought that I read somewhere that there is problems with the 1J tach reading the signal. Maybe I'm thinking of an NA tach. Anyway, from what I recall, someone picked up the tach signal from another wire?!?!?

its the wire he is talking about out of the diag box.....

but i still think something is wrong elsewhere.... we can test the continuity to make 100% sure the jumpersare right with the tach signal and the oil pressure signal... if the wires connect properly then we are looking at other problems obviously lol

cormschr

Nov 15, 2005
Rochester, NY
just because there is continuity between those 2 locations doesn't mean the tach will work. don't ask me why but when i was doing the swap i had continuity there and my tach still didn't work. i had to resolve this in other ways..

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
cormschr said:
just because there is continuity between those 2 locations doesn't mean the tach will work. don't ask me why but when i was doing the swap i had continuity there and my tach still didn't work. i had to resolve this in other ways..

What did you have to do? Also, was your car a turbo or an NA previously?

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
My car was N/A. I used the 1j tach but it read way off so I got a 7mgte tach and it works fine now. I think the tach had some problems from getting shipped here.

As far as the oil pressure gauge goes, just wire it in yourself. I tried running it through the harness and I got continuity for it in 4 different wires for the dash. I just ran a wire from the sender to the gauge and spliced it into the existing wire up behind the dash. Now it works fine.

Also check the gauge itself as the mechanism behind the faceplate can pop out of joint sometimes. You can also check the resistance to the gauge on the circuit board. IIRC it is supposed to be 43 ohms.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Mark,
One thing to make sure is that all the screws are there holding the tach to the cluster. If you miss the ground/Earth screw, it will not work at all. Check the back of the cluster and for screws holding the tach in to the cluster.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
1jz tachs always work. If there is a wire (i forgot witch one) that is not going to the right pin it will make the tach not work regardless of what area you get the tach signal from. Even if you had an NA before wire is just wire to the tach in the cluster.

Feb 24, 2006
Los Angeles
i had that exact same problem a while back, i got the right pinout and everything... it was a really big headache for me until a buddy of mine that had just finished his 2j swap on a sc300 told me about the msd tach converter and it worked out perfectly rite after i installed it...

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
rakkasan did you hack your harness or just pull it through the speedo hole?
also the turbo tach might work from what i gather and doesnt always work the na does not work at all.

The oil wire there is 2 of them the same color 1 is for the switch if you use the switch wire as the sender wire then your cool if you use both you have to add 1 wire for the sender.

A lot of the time the dumb wire falls off the sender in the boot check it! if you put an ohm meter on that you should have a reading between ground and your sender especialy with the car on!