suzuki samurai, opinions?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
hey guys, might be able to get a hardtop suzuki samurai.

need serious opinions or owner testimonials, i know next to nothing about these except what google and wikipedia turn up.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
never heard of it before, but a quick google image for those that also dont know what one is:

suzuki_samurai_big.jpg

are they as small as this picture makes it look?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
My brother in law had one, it was cute. Cable clutch, it took abuse very well. He used it to go mudding all the time, got water in the transfer case, tranny and diff so often until he finally siliconed everything... including the spark plug wires and dizzy cap

C

cnewingham

I see them in the desert all the time when I go riding. They look like crazy fun plus they are cheap on gas.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Wasnt the Samuri known for being like the worst suv for role over or something???? I say if its cheep buy it what have you got to loose???? I personally would take an old school pre 90 4runner!!! Top comes off for summer fun and they are bulletproof. Should be able to find one of those halfway cheep as well.

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
Clip said:

need serious opinions or owner testimonials, i know next to nothing about these except what google and wikipedia turn up.
oh man, my friend had a small company that made a supercharger kit and killer coilover suspension for those things back in the early 90's.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
matt, get in touch with him, see if he has any spares.

GotTurbos, this thing is basically 2 seats bolted to 4 wheels. 1500 lbs, in a ton of pics it just has 2 guys rolling them upright.

da89, the one im getting would be a hardtop. id have a full roll cage welded in, plus wider wheels and tires + spacers to handle the rollover aspects

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
da89soup said:
Wasnt the Samuri known for being like the worst suv for role over or something????

Consumer reports also settled out of court after a lawsuit was filed by Isuzu and Suzuki. Both claimed CR rigged the test to sell more magazines (consumer reports was on the verge of bankruptcy in 1988 when it said the samurai was "unacceptable").

But yes, if you take a Samurai or Wrangler and throw the steering wheel from left to right, you can get them to tip on two wheels... Their short, tall geometry also makes them extremely capable trail vehicles. They'll go farther without high centering, they'll squeeze down narrow trails, and they usually can plow through spots in 2wd where average-length vehicles get fully articulated and need lockers...

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
ma71 :bigthumb:

would you guys show interest in the build if i happened to come across one?

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
My friends got one.

I guess it does decent in the mud, its light, there good for mudding, get a winch so you can pull yourself out :)

they top out at like 60 or 65 though, atleast his does. LOL

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
A winch? shoot they're so light you can just use a come-along ;) I'd just throw some good 31's on it (not sure of your local terrain, BFG mud terrains are popular here) and maybe a front locker (that way you can still drive normally on the road in 2wd).

The biggest mistake you can make is putting too big of a tire on it for that little sewwing machine -- then you have to get gear$

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Clip said:

theyre good offroading machines...and very reliable ive heard..

suprarokie

Nov 22, 2006
Tijuana B.C. Mexico
I have ona and they are fun ive toped mine at 90mph going down hill though
other wise they are slow but realy fun and chep on gas and scince they dont have shock absorbers they jump alot i niked named mine "brincolin" cus it does jump alot whell i do recomend them and they do handle abuse real good i woulnt sell mine unless i had to good luck and if you como acros one go for it o and dont put rims to big or tires to heavy cus they have a tinny motor it whill crazy slow i recomend 15
but good luck

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
top speed is somethin like 66. if i get new wheels they'll be 15x7 or so, maybe 15x10. a friend informed me that chevy small blocks fit Very well in place of the stock engine. haha.