Supra question

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
B3AST said:
what kind of problems would I have if I got a turbo instead of a n/a?[/QUOTE

Nothing you and your father can't fix. Both GE and GTE engines are prone to HG problems and rod knock problems. Surf the forums. the more you read...
more_you_know1.jpg

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
crrider80 said:
B3AST said:
what kind of problems would I have if I got a turbo instead of a n/a?[/QUOTE

Nothing you and your father can't fix. Both GE and GTE engines are prone to HG problems and rod knock problems. Surf the forums. the more you read...
more_you_know1.jpg

My GE's dont do bad on HG's. Only one of my motors got a BHG at around 140K.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Find a turbo car with BHG already. I bought the one in my sig for $800 looking just like you see it. Then buy a JDM motor for $800-1000. Before installing it, go through it with your Dad and replace the head gasket, bearings, and any other wearable parts. You'd have $1000 tops in a good turbo car, and $2000-2500 in a great motor. That's leave you about $1500 to do a few mods on a properly prepaired motor. Not to mention, you'd have a spare parts motor. BHG Supras get real cheap once the uneducated find out what it's gonna cost to pay somebody to fix.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
BHG's are caused by hard driving on a tired motor, or neglect. Rod knock is caused by overrevving, or under lubrication (neglect). If you have a good platform, and a properly torqued head, the car will take care of you as long as you take care of it.

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
CtSupra said:
stay away from supras, please. you're not ready.

He's my age, his dad is a mechanic, he has the tools and our support.I own a supra, i have no one to help me when working on the car except for the tips from you guys. I dont see why he shouldnt be able to own one. Rich kid's parents these days buy their 16 y/o kids m3's and audi s4's. This kid seems like hes "in check"
-Steve

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I agree with a couple other guys who have said it before.. Don't buy the first one you see, I did this, I ended up paying $3300 canadian for an NA with a bhg... Also, do your reading, read up on what to look for and what the signs of a blown head gasket are etc etc... My dad has worked on cars since he was about 16, so that's a good 30 years, and he didnt catch it.. Two mechanics in town couldn't even tell the head gasket was blown.. I had to TELL them it was.. and low and behold they took the head off and the gasket was litteraly blown to pieces!

So.. 1. Don't get the first one you see, shop around (unless you know EXACTLY what it is and are well educated on supras)
2. READ READ READ READ

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
I would have to agree that a Mk III is probably not the best "first' car for someone, but they can be very reliable. Generally speaking, the less modded the car is, the less problems you can expect. If you must get one, try to buy one from someone older. Make sure the seller doesn't tell you "it's a V-6!" LOL!:biglaugh:Boost can be very expensive though...and addicting!
Good luck.
I used to live in Ludowici!

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
My sister bought a NA supra that was a huge money pit, BHG, etc. After watching the market for 2 months, I bought a well-built 87 for $8000 that had $20K worth of mods put into it (MHG, all the usuall stuff). Other than some starting and wiring problems I had to fix, it is very reliable and 400+ HP!

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
it depends on what you want to do (what type of racing and what type of daily driving). since there's already a lot of posts for the supra, i'll post a little about dsms.

dsms are good cars. you can get an all wheel dsm into the 12s cheaper then you can get a supra there. first gens aren't really prone to crank walk. but hey, my buddy has a 2nd gen talon with 400 ponies under the hood and he hasn't encountered crank walk yet (2 years now). the 4g63t is a great motor. you can probably find more places for performance parts with a dsm than a supra. the turbos are built better than our ct-26. their intercoolers perform better than ours.

what type of dsm are you looking at/leaning towards? mitsubishi eclipse (1990-1999), eagle talon (1990-1998), or plymouth laser (1990-1994). Eclipse has fw turbo (gs-t) and all wheel turbo (gsx), all talons, i believe, are all wheel (turbo=tsi and na=esi), and the laser i don't really know.

every car needs maintenance. when one doesn't maintain a car, it's prone to breakdown. good maintenance = good running vehicle. if you are going to get a turbo car, you are going to have to maintain it very well.

if i were u, i would get a supra. but hey that's me.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
B3AST said:
what kind of problems would I have if I got a turbo instead of a n/a?

Turbo gets you more tickets.. :naughty: ..

If you can keep from speeding every day, I can say if you are careful and do not jump on the first supra you see, it could last you a long time. My father has had 3 MK3's they all lasted over 200,000 miles! He is not into mods so they were all stock turbos, but they were CLEAN and he always got compliments!

I learned this when I got mine - If you get one with the targa or "sport" top test it for leaks! and check to see if the tool is there to remove it! I did not think to test it and it did leak a little and there was no tool. The seals are not fun to change and they are not cheap!

Whatever you decide to get be careful, don’t race every person you see, I have seen too many kids get killed in my life because of showing off. Find a drag strip close by if you have to race. Show off how clean it is on the street and how fast it is at the track.

Good luck! I have seen some nice supras for sale here , keep an eye out and ask questions here BEFORE you buy. Take a digital camera with you when you look at them and show us the pics, It can't hurt.

97TSiAWD

In need of more traction
Jul 18, 2006
Michigan
87targa said:
the 4g63t is a great motor. you can probably find more places for performance parts with a dsm than a supra. the turbos are built better than our ct-26. their intercoolers perform better than ours.
I'll agree that the 4G63 is a great motor. However, I'm not sure about the stock turbo and IC being any better than a MKIII Supra's, particularly with the 95-99 DSMs (stock sidemount, Garrett T-25 turbo). The T-25, known as the "T-too small," was good for 12psi and would usually drop off at higher rpms. The usual modding steps are intake, exhaust, IC piping, turbo. The CT-26 doesn't need upgrading as soon.
87targa said:
Eclipse has fw turbo (gs-t) and all wheel turbo (gsx), all talons, i believe, are all wheel (turbo=tsi and na=esi), and the laser i don't really know.
Close. Talons had FWD N/A (ESi for 95-98 models), FWD turbo (TSi), and AWD turbo (TSi AWD, hence my screenname). Lasers also came in all three variations (RS, RS-T, RS-T AWD). Eclipses also had the FWD N/A (GS) option.

Sorry to clutter the thread with DSM info, but I figured I would throw in my two cents since the topic came up.

B3AST

WTB a Supra!!!
Sep 4, 2006
Hinesville,GA
alright guys i did my research and I can afford a supra(with the help of my dad lol) so thanks for all your guys help, now its just time to find the right car :)

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
i agree with a lot of what was said, but i'll clarify my oppinion

First of all, it WILL require a lot of $ and attention, end of story. If you have a steady supply of money, then go ahead w/ it, but if this is supposed to be your daily driver (only car); i'd recomend a STOCK civic, or something of the sort.

that said, i got an 87 turbo when i was 17, then got a 89 turbo when i was 18. BOTH of the motors were blown. I focused on fixing the 89 turbo, and finally finished "propperly" swapping a jdm motor. But all throughout high school, i didn't even have a car that ran, but the knowledge obtained is priceless.