Stupid Mistakes I've made working on stuff, thread..

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
Back when I worked at the race shop, one of our driver's came in with his 70s ford torino, i went to go do a tune up, but then this absolutely gorgeous woman came in, and i completely forgot everything that has anything to do with carbuereted cars, and just stood over the car for 10 minutes. Then my boss came over and shouted "What the hell are you doing tim?!" and then quickly fixed what i had left to do. boy was i embarassed

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
mkIIIman089 said:
After a big down time, started it up, and it ran like shit. Come to find I was missing about 2ft of upper IC pipe, lol. Excitement got the best of me big time on that one.

hahahahahaha did this a couple weeks ago.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i think the most stuiped thing i have done whould have to be

just have a over haul on motor i tired to start it and nothign at all nothign cheak every thgin waste tons of time manule trigger starter ect got it runing then shut ti off choudl not get it started then ti hit puch the freaking cluthc in lol

caus emy old car did not have a nutral start lol

or whe i was in rush wiht doing a spetion job i forgot to tighten the shock tower bolts hit one bump bame i was like fuck ooops for got to tighten thous

or the most famus cheak for tools cheak for tools wheil driveing ding ding ding ding on the road must ahve missed one

this did nto happen to me but a buddie after cluthc job
forgo to take the ratch off the lower blancer started car oooooo teh damge it did lol still laughing to thsi day

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I know someone that dropped a timing cover bolt down inside the lower cover while putting it back together. We had to put the transmission back in the car just so we could keep the crank from turning while we took off the dampner and lower timing cover.

*Coughtimcough*

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
lol, i've pulled 2 pretty dumb things recently...

-i have a coolant leak near the firewall, so i have to fill it up every other time i drive the car, and i forgot to stick the coolant sucking thing that goes into the overflow bottle, pretty sure that was NOT good for the car, but i found it when i got home and fixed it :\

-well this isn't really a mess-up, but it def scared the crap outta me, i took off the battery terminal to check out the plug that leads to the starter, went to put the terminal back on and the alarm sounded off with my friend next to me, we both almost crapped our pants....lol

i'm sure i'll have WAY more in a few months or so.. :]

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I have a few..

I was working on a former friend's car (FORMER...if i see him again im cracking his fucking skull open, but that's another thread), and the car would just crank, start and die..

I thought it was a clogged fuel filter, so i pull off the hose and say "okay, crank it!"

got an eye full of gas, trying to put the hose back on blinded, and then running around the driveway, laughing and swearing..

also on my 240, i changed the fuel filter, so i put a bowl under the car to catch the gas, and it's all nice and dandy, fix it, and when i go for a test drive i hear a loud ass CRUNCH..

ran over the bowl, hahahah..

on my supra, worst i've done is left tools on top of the radiator support and slamming the hood down.....several times..=-O

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I usually pay an extreme amount of attention when I'm working on vehicles so I don't make stupid mistakes... So I've never left a wrench on the crank pulley, or forgot to put my oil filter on... ;)

I usually leave tools in the engine bay... recently when I drilled out all the spot welds on the battery tray and removed it from the car, there was a little pair of wire cutters under there... rusted to hell. I just laughed and said "thats where those went!"
I've blown IC couplers off, the first time is the scariest time... you take it for a drive, shift... hollow loud bang and the car dies...

Basically that's it. nothing too spectacularly dumb, because I'm always paying so much attention to reassembly to avoid such occurances.

Mk3Jesse

Fire is my friend.
Oct 22, 2006
Augusta, GA
www.myspace.com
RazoE said:
I have a few..

I was working on a former friend's car (FORMER...if i see him again im cracking his fucking skull open, but that's another thread), and the car would just crank, start and die..

I thought it was a clogged fuel filter, so i pull off the hose and say "okay, crank it!"

got an eye full of gas, trying to put the hose back on blinded, and then running around the driveway, laughing and swearing..

also on my 240, i changed the fuel filter, so i put a bowl under the car to catch the gas, and it's all nice and dandy, fix it, and when i go for a test drive i hear a loud ass CRUNCH..

ran over the bowl, hahahah..

on my supra, worst i've done is left tools on top of the radiator support and slamming the hood down.....several times..=-O

ROFL i did that but brake fluid that shit sucks.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Oh my god I could write a book on all the stupid stuff I have learned from. My all time favorite is when I changed the oil in my wifes car when we first started dating and the gasket from the old filter stuck to the block. So I installed the new filter, added oil and started the car. I made the biggest oil mess all over my parents garage floor. Needless to say my father was not happy.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
^LOL here's a stupid mistake, you didn't save your sig and upload it to your own photobucket

now you guys got my damn PB bandwidth exceeded >.<

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
finished a tranny swap, drove around for a couple days to break in the clutch, did a burn out 3 days after the swap. Go back to look at my burnout, notice a couple wrenches and a socket laying on the ground... oops

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
thought i was leaking oil from my valve cover gaskets once so i pulled a few wires to look used a rag since i was going out to dinner later didnt see any oil so i shut the hood went to dinner came home and went to sleep next day i woke up took her for a lil spin and when i came back inside i couldnt figure out where my rag was............it had been on top of the y pipe the whole time. im lucky it didnt like burst into flames or somethin.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
One time at home I did an oil change and cleaned my engine bay up really nice, then took a drive to the shop. Jose said he saw a few drips of something under the car. Turns out I forgot to put my TRD oil cap back on. DOH! Luckily it's didn't loose much oil, just enough to make a mess, but the TRD cap was gone :(

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I have one kinda like that Aaron, but mine ended better. I was working on my F-250 4x4 one summer afternoon. I took my expensive Vuarnet sunglasses off and set them on the hood. I made a run to my tire shop downtown and was coming back on hwy 99 when I noticed my sunglasses were STILL on my hood. They had slid down and were resting at the top of my bug deflector. I pulled over and retrieved them.

Thats why I normally buy cheap sungalsses. This pair of Vuarnets has been lost and then found numerous times and almost destroyed a few times as well, yet they still live on!

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
When I did my engine swap last spring, we had the motor in and ready to go in like 12 hours. That was a long day. I get everything all finished up and ready to go. I crank the car, it fires up first try. I ake it out for a drive and it won't rev past 2000rpm and my check engine light keeps coming on. So I ask some peope and the general idea is I have a boost leak. I check all my IC pipes and can't find anything. I don't check the pipe coming off the turbo, because I remember tightening it as tight as it would go. Turns out I had 2 hose clamps and one of them was the right one and one was the wrong one. I put the wrong one on.

Swapped them out and the car ran great.

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Another dumb mistake of mine..

I was pulling my auto trans out, so i lifted the rear end a littl bit, and went on to drain the oil, first mistake was when i loosend the pan bolt, it fell into the buck with oil following it, so i was like wat the hell, its dont hurt to get it later. so i let the oil drain for 30 min, then i plug it with a long piece of paper towl. so then i proceeded to start unbolting the tranny. so i let the rear end or the car down and lifted up the front end of the car to reach the bolt easier, well the peice of paper towel kept tickiling me in the face so i was like fuck it and pulled it off, next thing i know, i had about 2 quarts of oil rushing out onto my face, up my nose everything. i crawled out from under there and rubbed my face on the grass lol, i was so pissed off lol.