strut bar...

TakeakiTheDeity

The Deity
Oct 28, 2006
San Jose
www.myspace.com
i have a question on aluminum/carbon fiber front strut bars...

you know how the strut bar for the 7M-GE is really close to the throttle body... and the throttle body tends to get very very hot.. so lyk, i was wonderin would the heat affect the bar in any way.. weither it is made from aluminum or carbonfiber...

well i guess most strut bars are pretty close to the throttle body and yea... jus wonderin if heat would affect it in any way.. thanks

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
the throttle body gets hot? touch the header and see how hot that is. as for the carbon fiber stb forget it unless you want to go custom for huge bucks (And if you can find cf)

greddy/trust make a great bar or just get an ebay special. its not going to help that much, get some coilovers or swaybars.

TakeakiTheDeity

The Deity
Oct 28, 2006
San Jose
www.myspace.com
ic... well yea.. haha im jus wonderin cause yea.. seems lyk it could f*cken melt aluminum or some crap haha... hella hot.. no way anybody would wanna touch the headers at that time...

but yea... i got a strut bar and springs and strut/shocks for a late xmas/birthday gift and yea.. plannin to put em on... prob get some swaybars later.. but yea so is it ok to put a aluminum strut on though? sould be cool right?

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
the melting Point of ALuminum is around 1,200F. Exhaust Generally dosent get that hot, but Can.

so...

Yes, you can easily run an Aluminum Strut bar without it melting.

lol

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I'd be takin a real serious look at you TB if you have to ask this. Even before I bypassed the coolant lines to mine it never got so hot that I'd worry about anything melting on it (the vacuum lines would go first by the way).

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
i have a megan strut bar on my na and its like night and day difference it handles a lot better... another thing is that if you install it on a na you have to put spacers in between the bar and the towers so your coolent hose coming off the intake mani doesnt burst! (damn that day sucked). My megan strut bar is titanium and it gets super hot but still havent had any problems with it

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
i have an ebay special, not a gigantic difference but you can feel it a little...

i had front and rears on my 240 before i got rid of it and THAT was definitely fun...!

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
2543arvin said:
is a strut bar really worth the money or is it just cosmetic?

For many people it seems to be a cheap cosmetic thing. If you have a targa it might make more of a significant differnce.

I have Tein Flex coilovers and looking for adjustable sway bars so I figure it couldn't hurt to have it all, that's why I went with some strut braces. Might as well get it all, no? :)

jdmk3_87t

Take it!
Apr 29, 2005
SoCaL
Strut bars are made to withstand heat created by the engine. Don't worry about them melting. Some bars are made out of high grade aluminum. I've heard about strut bars being snapped into two pieces because of continuous stress in turns.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
TakeakiTheDeity said:
i have a question on aluminum/carbon fiber front strut bars...

you know how the strut bar for the 7M-GE is really close to the throttle body... and the throttle body tends to get very very hot.. so lyk, i was wonderin would the heat affect the bar in any way.. weither it is made from aluminum or carbonfiber...

well i guess most strut bars are pretty close to the throttle body and yea... jus wonderin if heat would affect it in any way.. thanks

why would you want a cf front strut? isnt it supposed to be made of a very strong material like a mixture of strong metals? i mean it is supporting the whole front end of your car when your turning and i dont think cf would be very good for a front strut bar.

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
SuperSupraKid said:
why would you want a cf front strut? isnt it supposed to be made of a very strong material like a mixture of strong metals? i mean it is supporting the whole front end of your car when your turning and i dont think cf would be very good for a front strut bar.

why wouldnt CF be good?

the strongest carbon fiber is about five times stronger than steel.

Carbon fiber-reinforced composite materials are used to make aircraft and spacecraft parts and racing car bodies.

so if your asking is CF strong? Yes, Cf is Very Strong. and would make a Good Strut tower bar.

depending on the Cf used to make the strut tower bar, It would be more Efficent then the Aluminum one. but its all Depeing on what type of aluminum and Cf is made w/ the strut tower bar.

but long story short, CF strut bar would be Good.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
you are overlooking the fact that cf doesnt take shocks very well.

and yea projectsupra i agree....wow...just wow at this thread.... was hoping to head it off with my first post but {shrug}

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
MKIIINA said:
you are overlooking the fact that cf doesnt take shocks very well.

and yea projectsupra i agree....wow...just wow at this thread.... was hoping to head it off with my first post but {shrug}

Carbon Fiber Takes a Shock Very well, Im sure the strut bar's arent all Cf, they're most likely alum tubes w/ CF over them.

so yeah, The CF strut bar will Take a shock Very well

TakeakiTheDeity

The Deity
Oct 28, 2006
San Jose
www.myspace.com
nothing wrong with carbonfiber... if it was to be made of mainly carbonfiber then it sould be 3 times lighter than steel, 7 times thinner, and 2 times stronger than steel... well if its the case that the strut is covered with carbonfiber and aluminum inside.. then wats the difference?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
SuperSupraKid said:

are you thinking of a sway bar?

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Well strut bars and supras = zero effect for the same reason caster-camber upper mounting plates have zero effect.

Strut bars were developed to over come some of the weak points of a McPherson strut set up (the supra has a double A arm set up) With McPherson struts, the suspension geometry is effected by the upper mounting position, this is why (like on my BMW) you can run caster-camber plates to tweak the geometry. When the upper mounting point flexes under load it throws off the geometry.
p478361_1.gif
p478361_2.gif

Supra don't not have a McPherson strut set up, we use a double A-arm set up. Our shocks mount to the A-arm via a pivot point and not to the spindles, so you could actually wiggle the shock around and it would have NO effect on the steering and tire geometry. Our load is transfered to the A-arms and then to the frame rails. So, strut bars and supras = a waste of money.
p478361_3.gif
p478361_4.gif

Last edited: