strongly considering going 1jz just had a few questions

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
after long and hard consideration im pretty sure that i wanna go a 1jz swap in my 89 supra turbo. i heard that with all 89 supras 1jz dont swap directly into all of them b/c of a crossmember. the 1st half of 89 supras used a different crossmember than the 2nd have of 89 supras and up. how do i kno when they switched to the different crossmember? also i wanted to know how much whp could a 1jz hold on stock internals? i know some mods and tuning will need to be done in order to achieve a safe amount of power but i just would like to know what they can run without opening up the motor and rebuilding

i would eventually like to do a single turbo and make 500 wheel horsepower with a 1jz. is this a realistic goal on stock internals? if not im still sure i wanna go 1j

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
If you have square motor mounts then you'll need the BIC adapter brackets. The round motor mounts are the newer ones.

500WHP is very realistic on the stock internals.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
BIC mounts are 180 IIRC, i have the mounts and they look great. I have them on my motor and i will be dropping this bad boy (1J) in soon enough. It is a headache to do because i haven't done everything i need but it will work.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
correct square mounts equals old shit

round mounts equal you spending less money

BIC mounts are 175 shipped and i have them on my 1J in my 88 and they work like a charm...even came with hardware

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
sounds great exactly what i was hopin to hear but just outta curiousity what is the max hp u could make out of a 1j at the wheels with stock internals?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
to the guy who said something about the older mounts being shit, the square mounts are much better than the round mkiii mounts. (the 2jz mounts are another story all together...)

the square mounts last much longer and are stronger. the later round style motor mounts are very prone to tearing.

not like its a big deal, but arent you glad you know? :)

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
500hp is easy on pump gas. Thats what my setup is built for. Technically im already there, because im 420whp at 12-14psi.

Stock internals break the same as the 2JZGTE. The stock rod bolts pull out at around 1000whp.

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
Ric said:
500hp is easy on pump gas. Thats what my setup is built for. Technically im already there, because im 420whp at 12-14psi.

Stock internals break the same as the 2JZGTE. The stock rod bolts pull out at around 1000whp.
I just saw a 2j lose a rod bolt and destroy the motor. 750whp and it let go.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
kwnate said:
I just saw a 2j lose a rod bolt and destroy the motor. 750whp and it let go.
What was he revving it to?

I've yet to hear of anyone making <600whp break the 1JZ bottom end from anything other then user error. I have also yet to hear of anyone breaking the bottom end from power at all, but then again, I don't hear about a lot of 1JZs.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
ok now i heard of guy sayin they can swap a 1j is 1 weekend. is it that easy? then just plug and play when it comes to wiring? also i havent read anything on the 1j having cooling issues and head gasket problems like the 7m but are there any weak points in the 1j?

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
i also just read about hydro fans and electric fans. still unclear which is the better choice and what is the cost difference

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It is not plug and play, but if you buy a clip from www.driftmotion.com you can also let him do some of your wiring for you for $85.00 and it was well worth it. It took me longer than a weekend to do my swap, but I took my time and replaced alot of items. It wasn't necessary, but I went with a single turbo instead of the stock twins.

There is all kinds of information on this swap in the 1jz section, if you'll search for it. Here are two links that might help you. One id Josh's and the other is mine. Good luck.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34669

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29117

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
how much more difficult is it goin 1j without buying the clip and just buying a jdm motor and tranny with ecu and wiring harness? i belive the average price for them is arond 1800 as opposed to the front clip for 2700.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
#1StunnaVic said:
how much more difficult is it goin 1j without buying the clip and just buying a jdm motor and tranny with ecu and wiring harness? i belive the average price for them is arond 1800 as opposed to the front clip for 2700.

To put it short, buying an engine with just an ecu and harness will end up being about the same as if you had just started with a clip.

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
#1StunnaVic said:
sounds great exactly what i was hopin to hear but just outta curiousity what is the max hp u could make out of a 1j at the wheels with stock internals?

I've heard of a guy in Florida who has made over 1,300 hp to the wheels on stock internals. However, he was running alcohol. I'm sure this took lots of tryal and error but I think it's doable. A 1J bottom end might be the toughest to come out of Japan. Just like every other motor though, it has to be taken care of though. So if you're carefull, I think the potential is there to acheive these levels of power to a stock bottom end. I've also heard of another who is running over 800 hp on high octane fuel. Note: this is info I heard from others and have not had the pleasure of witnising myself. You should be fine at 500hp. That's where I am. No problems so far.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I have had 5 people so far this month call me because they bought a 1jz engine set from someone who said it would work in a Supra and they were wondering why the harness is different then the Supra and how they didn't get a map sensor or ignitor. Don't get duped into buying a Soarer engine and thinking it will drop right in to a Supra. Don't buy a Supra engine set with a cut harness, the harnesses new are going for over $500. Harnesses, ecu's, map sensors, and ignitors are getting harder to find and more expensive each day. Do yourself a favor and buy a Supra clip, reguardless of who you get it from. You will save money and headaches in the end.

I do the 1jz adaptor harnesses for $100 now, but that is only labor, you need to supply the connectors from the clip dash wiring, and the dash connectors from your old 7m engine harness with at least 12" of wire attached.

daneyan

Banned
Sep 1, 2005
South Florida
Shadow said:
I've heard of a guy in Florida who has made over 1,300 hp to the wheels on stock internals. However, he was running alcohol. I'm sure this took lots of tryal and error but I think it's doable. A 1J bottom end might be the toughest to come out of Japan. Just like every other motor though, it has to be taken care of though. So if you're carefull, I think the potential is there to acheive these levels of power to a stock bottom end. I've also heard of another who is running over 800 hp on high octane fuel. Note: this is info I heard from others and have not had the pleasure of witnising myself. You should be fine at 500hp. That's where I am. No problems so far.
that guy your talking about is Smiley from fort lauderdale, the motor did put down 1300hp to the wheels on a stock block. the guys from cn ran 685 rwhp on a stock block 1jz for years till he sold it to a punk in miami who ran it on low oil and spun a rod bearing.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
bigaaron said:
I do the 1jz adaptor harnesses for $100 now

My bad Aaron, I keep forgetting about inflation............:biglaugh:

Definately buy a clip from someone and not just an engine off of eBay. I suggest driftmotion, but the decission is yours. I went with them and have never regretted it one bit.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
daneyan said:
that guy your talking about is Smiley from fort lauderdale, the motor did put down 1300hp to the wheels on a stock block. the guys from cn ran 685 rwhp on a stock block 1jz for years till he sold it to a punk in miami who ran it on low oil and spun a rod bearing.

As far as I'm concerned that mystery FL 1300hp 1j car doesn't exist.

I know you FL guys have seen it supposedly but "I was there" isn't evidence for me.

A dyno sheet removes all doubt. Doesn't have to say what he's using since he seems to be so tight lipped about what he has but that's too big of a claim to not have anything at all to back it up.

We've got a 1000+hp 1J car in socal too, you know.