Strange BOV problem

TomFraser

My stock BOV has failed and lets out all my boost after 1 PSI, until it actually should act as a BOV, then it is stuck shut.

I replaced with a SSQV (Real) and it does not leak out air, but it also does not blow off.

I checked the hose going to the bov and it has vacuum

what can cause a bov not to vent?

I assume the new HKS is not faulty

supra_guy

Aug 18, 2009
Illinois
Are you on stock Intercooler piping? Or do you have hardpipes? Check your welded flange that its on and make sure its welded properly. Then try recirculating it for a little bit, see if it works. If it does leave it on for a few days or so and try venting it into atmosphere again. Other than that I have no clue.

TomFraser

supra_guy;1390055 said:
Are you on stock Intercooler piping? Or do you have hardpipes? Check your welded flange that its on and make sure its welded properly. Then try recirculating it for a little bit, see if it works. If it does leave it on for a few days or so and try venting it into atmosphere again. Other than that I have no clue.

I'm using an adapter that goes from stock place on 3000 pipe to bov, that works fine...

Don't have the recirc kit, but don't understand how that would help?

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
Is it the old style (with the screw in the back) or the new style (w/o the screw). If it's the one with the screw, try loosening it. If it's the new kind, the BOV may be faulty.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Was the ssqv new, or used?

The ssqv has an internal check valve in them,
and if they were run for a long time without the little inline filter HKS supplies with them,
http://www.nengun.com/hks/ssqv-option-parts
dirt can build up in thet check valve, and cause the things not to work.
Try putting a hand vacuum pump on it.
If it will not open that way, then the problem is in the valve.
The check valve can be cleaned by taking the back off.
You will notice a nut looking thing in the center of the diaphram,
that has a set of holes drilled in it.
Under that nut is the silicone rubber check valve.

Don't try to take that apart !

But you can flush the valve with a mild solvent, and blow it out with compressed air.

Don't use carb cleaner, or anything strong.
I have used WD-40 in the past with good results.

Put it back together, and they will normally work just fine then.
And put a filter just before it like HKS wanted to have on that valve.
Even a small in-line fuel filter from a lawn mower works well as long as it has a paper ellement.

TomFraser

gofastgeorge;1390289 said:
Was the ssqv new, or used?

The ssqv has an internal check valve in them,
and if they were run for a long time without the little inline filter HKS supplies with them,
http://www.nengun.com/hks/ssqv-option-parts
dirt can build up in thet check valve, and cause the things not to work.
Try putting a hand vacuum pump on it.
If it will not open that way, then the problem is in the valve.
The check valve can be cleaned by taking the back off.
You will notice a nut looking thing in the center of the diaphram,
that has a set of holes drilled in it.
Under that nut is the silicone rubber check valve.

Don't try to take that apart !

But you can flush the valve with a mild solvent, and blow it out with compressed air.

Don't use carb cleaner, or anything strong.
I have used WD-40 in the past with good results.

Put it back together, and they will normally work just fine then.
And put a filter just before it like HKS wanted to have on that valve.
Even a small in-line fuel filter from a lawn mower works well as long as it has a paper ellement.

Golden Advice!

I sprayed wd40 right into the vacuum port with a straw, sprayed it inside on the actual mechanism of the BOV, and then shot compressed air into the vacuum port, it is starting to work slowly, hopefully use, and oil will make it work better over time

any recommendations on oiling it?

BTW: I really appreciate the assistance

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I have never oiled any of the SSQVs that I have had apart, other than residual WD-40 left behind.

Glad to be of some assistance.

TomFraser

just in case some one finds this thread in a search heres exactly what I did, and I did not have to take the valve apart

First I sprayed WD40 in the front opening where are is released, then in the bottom (boost soruce) then got a straw that fit in the vacuum port and sprayed for about 5 seconds until it oozed out, then I took a hose from the vacuum port and connected it to an air compressor and shot 90psi into it for about 10 seconds (I don't know if this could potentially break the bov, (90psi is a lot) all I know is it worked for me, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to clear it up)

BOV started working slowly, for the first 10 minutes and now works great, so if your HKS SSQV BOV is stuck shut I would try this as you have nothing to loose anyways

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Yes, 90 psi is a lot, your braver than I am.
I ussually would only put 50 psi on them.
But it worked, so all is well.

By flushing fluid through the check valve, you have cleared any debris that may have beem holding it open.

Good job !