Stock boost gauge quit working....I think?

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Well, here's the deal. It has always worked fine. I've had the car for four years. It is normally at -4, until I hit boost, then it rises like it should.
I haven't driven the car since Saturday, and everything was normal then. Today I decided to take it to work. When I started the car, I noticed the gauge went to 0 and stayed there. When I boost, it stays at 0. The car drives, idles, and boosts like it should. When I shut it off, it falls back to -4. Start it again, back to 0 again. What could be wrong? What to check first?

Thanks,
Dunckel

kawkoretsx

flatuator
Jun 26, 2007
hagerstown, MD
I'd check for cracks in the hose going to the sensor. I'm pretty sure when the gauge has power the needle will be at zero. If it's not moving, then I'd say sensor problems (bad hose or sensor). When the power is off the weight of the needle makes it go all the way down.

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
Dunckel said:
Well, here's the deal. It has always worked fine. I've had the car for four years. It is normally at -4, until I hit boost, then it rises like it should.
I haven't driven the car since Saturday, and everything was normal then. Today I decided to take it to work. When I started the car, I noticed the gauge went to 0 and stayed there. When I boost, it stays at 0. The car drives, idles, and boosts like it should. When I shut it off, it falls back to -4. Start it again, back to 0 again. What could be wrong? What to check first?

Thanks,
Dunckel

Mine did the exact same thing. My vacuum hose had slipped off was all it was. I replaced every vac line on it, and forgot to zip tie them. :aigo:

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
So it's getting a signal, it's just not getting a vacuum reading. Makes sense to me.
Would this just stop working after not driving it for a few days??
Where is this mystery hose located?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
the hose attachees to the back of the intake manifold on the little nipple there

it then T's to run across the back of the engine bay, and also to the driver's side fender where the sensor is.

boost pressure will blow em off...

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Thanks guys, I'll check for around for a vacuum line.
Another dumb question.....What does the sensor look like? It's right next to......?

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
my boost gauge reads -4 as well until i spool up and then it reads zero and then goes into boost? mine never reads 0 just ideling.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Everything looks ok so far. I did find a 3 way T fitting along the firewall that is missing a line, I think. The lines running to the intake mani are all there and on tight. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help so far.:icon_bigg
EDIT: got a few minutes to run out to the car, looked around, and found a hose hissing at me.......it's the missing vacuum hose. it works. WOOT!!

Last edited: