still not starting, tried everything

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
well this has been a problem for almost a YEAR now... the begining of this problem is on http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16046&referrerid=2944 but i'll sum it up...The car was hooked up with reverse polarity and current flowing the wrong way since that the car hasn't started, I checked and it's because it's not getting a spark. The 7.5A IGN fuse in the driver kickpanel blew everytime you tried to turn it over and i traced that down the ECU, Got a used ECU and that fixed the problem but still no spark and all fuses are good..PLEASE let me know if you know of any way i could test this to see if something else is wrong

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
^^He's probably checked all of his fuses by now.

I'm guessing that having polarity's reversed would heat things up a bit? Maybe you have some melted wiring somewhere that you aren't seeing? I would go around with a multimeter and check everything that's needed to start...cps, coil packs, igniter, alarm computer?, spark wires..(and of course check all related circuits/wiring).

What codes are you getting?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Fried voltage regulator? Do you have power when the ignition is just turned to Acc.? Are you still blowing fuses? Have you tried bypassing the security system's starter disable?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
The simplest thing to do is start at the plugs and work your way backward.
No spark at the plugs, check the cap and rotor, no power at the cap, check the coil/coils. No power going to the coil? check the voltage regulator...etc

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
EFI did blow at first but hasn't gone since It has some power when it's on ACC like headlights and alarm and int. lights but not radio or power mirrors, seats, windows, locks etc. It will crank all day long but when I grounded out the sparkplug it wouldn't spark.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
okay...check all ignition circuits and wiring from the ECU to the spark plugs, and you should be able to find at least part of the problem. Also, I bet jetjock's TCCS Checker would help you out quite a bit...:biglaugh:

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
but i washed/waxed vacummed put together the interior etc. etc. and then took it for a drive and realized a/c doesn't work and the radio doesn't work. I was too pooped to dig in the drivers panel fuses but I hope it's just that what other fuses could it be besides the raido fuse in the driver kickpanel and the one in the engine bay and for the A/C just the one in the passenger kickpanel

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
where is the passenger kickpanel located on a 87? It's not just right down along the side like it is on the driver's side. Also both of the raido fuses are good so....now what...it's an aftermarket cd player and I'm going to pull it out and check if it's getting power or if it's the cd player itself

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
Thank you Nick M....actually I took it to a mechanic and got charged $186 and they magically got it running through "adjusting settings" and then it wouldn't start again a few weeks later and i was back to the orignal problem

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
the1andonly0032 said:
Thank you Nick M....actually I took it to a mechanic and got charged $186 and they magically got it running through "adjusting settings" and then it wouldn't start again a few weeks later and i was back to the orignal problem

There are no settings to adjust, unless you have some piggy back. And you didn't say he ASE in electrical/ electronic or engine performance, which is drivabiliy, not aftermarket.

Why did you not go back if was not repaired correctly the first time and you were charged money?