still dont know

supratj

god tina, eat some ham...
Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
there was a post that you were involved with, and the kid said he was running rich and somone said to measure vf and e1, so thats what i did, and compared to the table in that forum, im running rich, and if these are 2 simple electrical circiuts, why is it that i cant figure it out, i have done everything on every thread that i have posted up?? im not trying to be a dick, but im just frustrated and just cant figure it out

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Hey Supratj - looks like to me you're making progress, just take it a step at a time and you'll figure it out. JJ is extremely good at the EFI system...I was hoping he would see this thread and chime in. I do ok, but have to think about it too much ;) JJ puts it in steps you can follow and I know you'll get it licked.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
jetjock said:
Lol, don't you go bailing on me. I've ignored this thread because it violates many of my criterion for responding but I dislike seeing someone flailing around. Doesn't mean I won't bail myself though ;)

No worries...I'm not. :naughty: I responded since he is really trying...I do understand the frustration tracking stuff down in the EFI system, it can be maddening! You just have a knack for making it look simple JJ ;)

Supratj - help us out with detail of what you did, readings on specific terminals, what the car is doing. We'll do this a step at a time and figure this out. One other thing you can do is check all your vac hoses and elimaniate that as a contributer.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
One reason I stayed out. You were providing him with good info and he was making progress. And yeah, he's trying whether he makes any or not. Just that his frustration is starting to get in the way. I know how he feels though. It's that same frustration and feeling of helplessness when confronted with something I don't understand that has driven me to learn for as long as I can remember.

We'll get rid of the codes first because they're the easy part. I see no point in trying to diagnose drivability issues as long as he has codes.

supratj

Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
ok, well i have fixed all of the codes before, but for some reason, they come and go, thats what i dont understand, 1 minute no codes, the next, i have codes, at, idle, it pops every 3 seconds or so, running real rich bcuz i can smell the gas, when i start to open the throttle it continues to pop, but if i hold the throttle at a steady rpm its fine, now i adjusted the tps, vta-e2 was 1.1 ohm, idl-e2 was .5 ohm, vta-e2 open throttle was 8.3 ohm, and vc-e2 was 6.2 ohm, and from what i can tell everything is in spec, my vacuum hoses are new and right, i have checked them 3 times, i have checked all of my connections, i just replaced the o2, tps, plugs and wires, every code i fix, comes back eventually, i just dont get it

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supratj said:
ok, well i have fixed all of the codes before, but for some reason, they come and go, thats what i dont understand, 1 minute no codes, the next, i have codes, at, idle, it pops every 3 seconds or so, running real rich bcuz i can smell the gas, when i start to open the throttle it continues to pop, but if i hold the throttle at a steady rpm its fine, now i adjusted the tps, vta-e2 was 1.1 ohm, idl-e2 was .5 ohm, vta-e2 open throttle was 8.3 ohm, and vc-e2 was 6.2 ohm, and from what i can tell everything is in spec, my vacuum hoses are new and right, i have checked them 3 times, i have checked all of my connections, i just replaced the o2, tps, plugs and wires, every code i fix, comes back eventually, i just dont get it

Ok...is code 51 all you have now? And does it appear when the car is at idle, A/C off?

Did you do this (it does appear you have continuity IDL-E2)? What I'm looking for is if you still have the code with IDL-E2 jumpered.

jetjock said:
First clear all codes and start from scratch. Make sure the throttle is completely closed then check IDL and E2 for continuity. If you have it the TPS is good and adjusted right. Now place a jumper across IDL and E2 in the TPS connector. If the code is still there it's either bad wiring between the TPS and ECU, your AC is on, or you have an automatic and the neutral start switch is made. There can be no other reason for a 51 (other than a bad ecu) so it has to be one of those things.

supratj

Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
it comes on at idle or when i touch the throttle, and i dont have a/c i took it all out, and for some reason code 52 just came up, but i had already fixed that, so i just take a jumper wire and jump idle-e2 while its running or what??

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supratj said:
it comes on at idle or when i touch the throttle, and i dont have a/c i took it all out, and for some reason code 52 just came up, but i had already fixed that, so i just take a jumper wire and jump idle-e2 while its running or what??

When you touch the throttle, code 51 should come on...that is normal. And it should go away when the throttle is released. When you took the AC out, did you remove everything?

Yes, jumper it while it is running and see if the code goes away.

Code 52 is the knock sensors...did you do the re-wire on the knock sensors to ground them?

Last edited:

supratj

Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
i took the condensor, reciever/ dryier, compressor, and some of the lines off the a/c, and what you mean ground the knock sensor?? i just unplugged it and plugged it back in when i put the motor back together, didnt change anything

supratj

Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
how are they wrong, they are with in specs from the talbe that is on the cygnus tsrm, i dont see how i can be reading them wrong, and some of the codes went away by themselves, and 51 is the only one that comes back, maybe not right away, but it does come back, i do everything to the best of my knowledge of how you guys are saying to do things, and yes the codes go away for a little while, but they keep coming back, and by jumpered, you mean by a jumper wire right? no one has specified that sinse i asked earlier.. and my old tps didnt do anything when i unplugged it while it was running, i havent tried the new one yet...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supratj said:
how are they wrong, they are with in specs from the talbe that is on the cygnus tsrm, i dont see how i can be reading them wrong, and some of the codes went away by themselves, and 51 is the only one that comes back, maybe not right away, but it does come back, i do everything to the best of my knowledge of how you guys are saying to do things, and yes the codes go away for a little while, but they keep coming back, and by jumpered, you mean by a jumper wire right? no one has specified that sinse i asked earlier.. and my old tps didnt do anything when i unplugged it while it was running, i havent tried the new one yet...

Yes...jumper the connections with a wire with the ignition on and see if the code goes away.

Remember...the code 51 will appear if you touch the throttle...it should not be there while it is at idle touching nothing.

Unplug the new one and see if there is any change.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
There is no way VTA at 8.3 ohms is right with the throttle open but forget about that now.

So you didn't "fix" anything right? The codes just come and go? Unplugging the TPS shouldn't cause the car to run differently other than a change in idle. Your TPS isn't related to a rich mixture, it can't be. I'm just trying to resolve the codes before we go on.

Look, jumper the diag block with the key on and engine off. Don't press on the pedal. What code do you get? Then press on the pedal. Do you get 51 and does it go away when the pedal is released?

Unplug the TPS. Does the code appear? Now jumper the IDL and E2 on the harness connector. Does the code disappear?

Leave IDL and E2 on the harness connector jumpered (yes, with a wire) and start the engine. Raise the speed to about 3000 rpm. Does the engine cut in and out?

Last edited:

supratj

Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
ok well i just did all of that, i cleared the codes, turned the key on, and nothing, pressed the gas pedal- code 51, let off and it stayed on,reset it, unplugged the tps, code 51, jumped it, now code 41, but 51 went away, then started it, it was fine at idle, but it still poped when i pressed the gas pedal, after i did that a few times, i now have codes, 41,51, and 52

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok...when you did this:

supratj said:
now i adjusted the tps, vta-e2 was 1.1 ohm, idl-e2 was .5 ohm, vta-e2 open throttle was 8.3 ohm, and vc-e2 was 6.2 ohm, and from what i can tell everything is in spec

You were actually checking the TPS, not adjusting it. BTW...JJ is correct...there is no way you can be reading ohms...based on the numbers, I'm betting you were reading Kilo Ohms. When I put the "Kilo" in front, your numbers make sense. When dealing with this stuff we need accurate scale...OK?

I want you to check the TPS adjustment now...forget the code 41 and 52 for the time being. I'll bet you are very close on the TPS...adjust per this:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/fi/FI_103.html

Clear your codes, then redo what JJ said in post #36 and report back.

supratj

Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
ok, well, i did cut in and out, sorry i forgot to specify, and i guess the whole tsrm adjustment isn't going into my head, bcuz i thought i had done that, and the link that i was shown, everything was in specs

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supratj said:
ok, well, i did cut in and out, sorry i forgot to specify, and i guess the whole tsrm adjustment isn't going into my head, bcuz i thought i had done that, and the link that i was shown, everything was in specs

Yep...we know your TPS is good ;) You have to make sure on this stuff...it's a process of elimination. If you follow a logical order, which is what we're trying to get ya to do, it will be solved. Got it?