still dont know

supratj

god tina, eat some ham...
Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
as you all know, i just rebiult the motor, and i got one code left, i fixed all the other ones, code 51, and i just replaced the tps, and it is still poping like every 3 seconds, like its missing, i put new ngk plugs and wires, could it be my ecu???

supratj

Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
alright, well, all but the IDL to E2 read perfect, but for some reason the IDL and E2 wont read anything, and the sensor works bcuz it changes the idle when i try to adjust it, now im only getting too much fuel at idle, once i get to 1400 rpm, the poping goes away and it doesnt run rich, now could that be the ecu? or and injector stuck open and how do i check the injectors? also will a V-AFC work on my car??

Last edited:

supratj

Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
alright, well, all but the IDL to E2 read perfect, but for some reason the IDL and E2 wont read anything, and the sensor works bcuz it changes the idle when i try to adjust it, now im only getting too much fuel at idle, once i get to 1400 rpm, the poping goes away and it doesnt run rich, now could that be the ecu? or and injector stuck open and how do i check the injectors? also will a V-AFC work on my car??

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok...take a look at this:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/fi/FI_103.html

It appears the gap between the throttle stop screw and lever is too large. You should have continuity between IDL - E2 with the gap at .019 (or less)...you should not have continuity with the gap at .035.

Make sure your throttle cable has a little slack in it so it allows the throttle body plate to fully close. Keep in mind, if your AC is on, you're out of park or nuetral/clutch in, or if the gas pedal is depressed, it will show a code 51...these are all normal. Notice that all of these will open the throttle plate slightly to increase idle...thus the code 51.

I'm thinking your throttle cable is too tight or someone adjusted the throttle stop lever to change the idle, causing the throttle plate to open, causing the code 51.

I'm thinking your timing is off causing the popping....you have to make the code 51 go away 1st before you can properly set the timing at 650 rpm.

No...a V-AFC will not work on a Supra.

Last edited:

supratj

Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
ok well i dont have a/c i took it out, it didnt work anyways, but ok i guess i will recheck everything that i did last night? and if you dont mind me asking, why wouldnt the v-afc work? i know its for a v-tech, but wouldnt i just have the v-tech wires un hooked??

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Check it very carefully...this is easy to do incorrectly.

From what I've read it's a ECU problem...our ECU does not "understand" the outputs of the V-AFC.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supratj said:
cool, do you know where i can get one pretty cheap??

Not off the top of my head...eBay? You want the S-AFC II. Do a search here, there's lots of info.

djordan97

Apr 14, 2006
Kennewick WA
wow this thread just fixed one problem I've been having with a code 51. set per tsrm and the bam car can't be out of park or it will show code 51. I did an auto to manual swap and hooked my park neutral switch to the clutch safety switch on my car so I couldn't screw something up and bam reading it I figured out my code 51.

supratj

Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
ok, well i adjusted all of my linkage, and everything, no codes, but now stay running, it dies as soon as it starts basically, now when you check the resistance on the injectors, it is suppose to be like 2 or 3 ohms right? bcuz mine are just reading 0, and it doesnt make sense because im running too rich, im not sure what it would mean reading 0, bcuz im not good with electrical shit, but any help please.... i wish i had someone that lived around me to come check this shit out, but i guess i gotta learn sometime...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok...just to clarify, the motor will start, but dies right away. Will it stay running if you depress the gas pedal?

supratj

Nov 4, 2005
lees summit, mo
yeah it would, but when i came from the garage to type the last thread, i went back out to my car and checked to see if my car was running rich using the volt meter, and it was at .04, so it is rich, then i started it up, and everything was fine, idling smooth, i adjusted the timing bcuz i had no codes, and idling at 700, no poping, nothing, sounded great, open the throttle a little, and everything was fine, didnt smell any gas, so i went to take it around the block, and as soon as i got out of the garage, it started running like shit again, backfiring when i give it gas, but when i hold it at a certain rpm, its fine, doing the exact same thing as last time, now codes 51 and 52 came back up, i am seriously about to give up this shit is pissing me off, to me it seems like the ecu....