starting to mod

May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
hey guys. i have learned a bit since my last post, so hopefully i wont be as scorned this time around.

anyway, long story short, i am starting to mod my supra. its an 89 turbo, autu with a jap shift kit, targa top.

i want to make it stick, and am also considering putting the 2jzgte engine in there, if it will fit. i am also thinking true dual exhaust, and better turbos for the engine. any advice would be great. thanks!

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
I like your approach on dual exhuast.
however on a supra the term "dual exhuast" contradicts itself, technically. (as there is only one exhuast header)
Ive only seen one dual exhaust supra, that had a the appropriate Y adapter to make it dual. It looked cool and sounded neat.. but it was too quiet.

I like the idea though.
As far as a 2jz swap goes, i wouldn't (weird i know) suggest a 2j swap. it's not worth the actual swap itself unless you have a large budget.
My friend is swapping his 89 for a 2j and the current final pricetag is around 4,800 for 700 horse.

In my opinion the 7M is just as capable as the 2j to produce power. I guess it's preference. I'm Going to build up my 7m.. Although i do think the 2j sounds alot sexier.

as far as going all out and modding your car, i would get the simple bolt-on mods first, get exhuast, intake, BOV,boost controller, and a turbo timer, and up your boost to 8 or 9 and see how you like it.

as far as larger turbo's go, i can't help you much there, i just came from the N/A world of chevy 350's.

A 2j swap is very common, and is somewhat of a simple swap, as the 2j was similarly constructed (as well as the 5m's 7ms and 1j's)

Now, in my opinion, a cool swap would be a 1jzgte. Your sacrificing .5 litres, but your also gaining an engine that if built and tuned correctly, will rev like no tomorow. the only downside to a 1j swap is the harnesses are all made for right hand drive, thus you would have to purchase a customized harness (which is available, i just cant recall where)

i hope my opinions and tidbit of info help ya out!:icon_razz

-r

2turboZ

May 4, 2007
Buffalo NY
p662311_1.jpg

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Suprapowaz!(2) said:
This has to be a joke.
Unfortunately I don't think it is...

theciviceater89 said:
hey guys. i have learned a bit since my last post, so hopefully i wont be as scorned this time around.

anyway, long story short, i am starting to mod my supra. its an 89 turbo, autu with a jap shift kit, targa top.

i want to make it stick, and am also considering putting the 2jzgte engine in there, if it will fit. i am also thinking true dual exhaust, and better turbos for the engine. any advice would be great. thanks!
What's your budget? If it's less than $10k you are in over your head.

Dual exhaust is nearly pointless on an inline engine. Especially if you're intending on upgrading the turbos as you'd most likely be going single.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
sticking the 2jz in the car "if it would fit". You clearly haven't done enough learning yet.

and true dual exhaust? our cars only have one header?

Read through build threads, and browse through stores that sell parts for our car. That'll give you a much better idea of what the hell you want to do.

May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
once again....a noob gets owned....well...i was thinking...i will probably keep the 7m engine, it is cheaper, and i have about 5-6k to spend,

so..i mean, with that price tag, any input guys?

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
swaq said:
Make it reliable. Put money aside for gas/insurance/maintenance. Then look here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17

damn beat me to it.

okay man, you're new to cars, or at least the supra,

1) turn off The fast and the furious
2) I introduce to you... THE BIBLE (for supras) http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/default.aspx
3) READ, READ, READ, i've been around for awhile but if you notice my post count is pretty low. i'm a lurker. spend every minute ur not under the hood reading the forums. u're lucky you found this site. its #1 IMHO, second there's supraforums.com, unfortunatly the search button disappeared on that site meaning ur trolling. I'm also a socal local so i goto socalsupras.com, there's A BUNCH of other sites out there. start w/ the stickies here, there's even a sticky w/ links to bunch of other sites.
4) if you want a stick, sell urs, buy a stick, (IMHO) the price/time swapping it on a stock supra isn't worth it. (unless you have a pretty pristine car)
5) if you're dead set on keeping the stick, research the procedure, procure all ur parts you will need for it and start wrenching.
6) if you want to start upgrading before you do the 5speed swap, start w/ maintenance. NOTHING does more for your car then maintenance, if you odn't know what has/hasn't been done. do it anyway. retorqure the head, check your valve clearance, replace all the oil seals (i just went through hell cause of them)etc etc.
7) if you're dead set on civiceating, goto pepboys, buy a 3" adapter drill holes to fit you're afm and slap a 3" open filter on there. then goto the local muffler man (real shop around here) and get a nice exhaust done (research again this is a pretty vital building block) (honestly don't bother w/ "True dual exhaust, not worth it, and our cars weren't designed for it) and then you can shim ur wastegate hit about 8psi and start eating ur civics.
8) if you don't understand something in the previous bullets, READ.

and for any of the other members w/ that cute little image pointing to the "search" button, please post it for me :D

good luck my man, and welcome to the money sink.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
:3d_frown:

The auto is fine, keep the 7M spend ALL of that money you've got by bringing back into a prinstine, STOCK condition (it will take all of that money you've got, and maybe more, the stealership is bitch). THEN you can start modding.

Good luck, search, read, remember, LEARN.

88tsupra

Mar 21, 2007
long beach
LISTEN TO THEM BIG TIME

Im in the process of making my 7mgte engine reliable trust me its way more fuken worth it then straight modding it right away

Edit..i did little mods to mines now i gotta replace my plugs after only 3k cuz of oil on it and get new coil pack..gunna follow tookwik and get the is300

They know best be a grasshopper like i am and listen to the 7m masters

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
well, first off,

decide on a couple things. you seem not to have alot of money to spend,

so the more research you do now and the wiser you spend your money will put you ahead of the game.

first question, do you have the money in the bank now or do you plan to spend 5-6k all together?

best tip any one could give you while working on the supra, DONT CUT CORNERS

second best thing some one could tell you , which they have, is get it runnin it top notch condition and restore the most as possible.

if your n/a now and have turbo dreams, then dont beat on your n/a cause you probaly need her.

jdm motor's are not tight for our cars, their typicaly just as abused as usdm motors.

the best route is to rebuild what you have, throught a metal head gasket in there with the head and the Block machined to a 25RA, opt for arp studs/bolts for the head,

this will keep blown head gasket problems from showing up, unless you run a horrible tune and detonate badly .. and also cure most over heating issues people have with the 7m.

having a known good motor, and a fresh motor that is assembled correctly will save heart ach , blood sweat and tears latter down the road, even if your goal is 350whp.

also, have your head rebuilt or atleast checked while it's at the machine shop getting surfaced, this is the best time to do any work, it's not worth pulling it off latter to fix a leaky valve that was causing a compression problem or a miss..

amd once again there are sevral threads in the faq section or just across the boards that have an abundance of knowledge in them.

even a good place to look is in build threads, you will see what people are doing, and some times what doesn't work..

May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
awesome guys, thanks alot!!

about how much do you think it will cost to do the full rebuild? and ya, i have turbo, its at 6psi right now...and that is my exact goal. 350whp. i had the mhg in mind, even though it is really needed. the guy i bought the car from had just rebuild the engine AND tranny, the only problem i have now is i hydrolocked the engine, and while starting to see what the heck was wrong with it, i jacked a rod, hence the reason i have the rod knock.

but ya, for a good solid rebuild, how much cash do you reckon this will cost me? and it will most likely be 10,000 now, in the next year or so. i have about 4k right now.