starter issues

V

vecog

HI guys i've been having a problem with my starter or starting system. 1st off my car will startup normally but after running for a while, then turn car off, then try to start again later maybe 1hr all i get is click click. you can here the solenoid clicking but stater will not turn over. i dont think it is the neutral safety switch b/c i tried starting it in every gear during incident and you can here solenoid engaging in nuetral and park but not in other gears. so I started with a new battery then a new starter, but i get the same thing. new starter consisted of remanufactered from advanced auto. i took car to toyota $ervice dept this morning and they found that one of the bolts were missing during diag, that cost me $35. took it back to meineke and they swapped out the starter and installed a new bolt i stood under car during installation to make sure. i thought i was all set to go, went to tire shop i was had to move car a couple of times (starting, restarting no issues) then after tire repair car would not start!!!!. they gave me a jump and it started as usual. that is the thing. when it clicks like that a jump will start it right up. i did explain this to toyo and meineke. they checked alternator and battery both are good. i am going to start swapping groung wires tommorow. if any one can shed some light pleese do. thanks.

V

vecog

Saturday I changed both ground and hot cables, but it happened once more that afternoon. I went for a long drive then came back home, car sat for 30 min then I went for another run and click click, but I tried it again and it worked. I ran to walgreens, went in came back out and still no problems. I'm not convinced it won't do it again though I'm sure it will. It seems as though if the car gets heated up for a while then you shut it down it for maybe 30 min it won't start. But 2hrs later it will. I think i'm gonna try some voltage test on this thing, maybe the alt is bad I don't know maybe it's working but not as well as it should. I know one thing, this is the only car that i've owned that if there isn't at least 12volt at the battery it won't say anything other car may crank slow, but not this one. The headlights and everthing else electrical will work but car will not start.

chris717

Banned
Dec 21, 2006
walnut creek, ca
my car has the same problem.. the car doesnt turn on at all has no power!!!
but when i jump the car it turns on instantly and runs great. ?????
I have a new battery,alt.
help!!!

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
vecog said:
Saturday I changed both ground and hot cables, but it happened once more that afternoon. I went for a long drive then came back home, car sat for 30 min then I went for another run and click click, but I tried it again and it worked. I ran to walgreens, went in came back out and still no problems. I'm not convinced it won't do it again though I'm sure it will. It seems as though if the car gets heated up for a while then you shut it down it for maybe 30 min it won't start. But 2hrs later it will. I think i'm gonna try some voltage test on this thing, maybe the alt is bad I don't know maybe it's working but not as well as it should. I know one thing, this is the only car that i've owned that if there isn't at least 12volt at the battery it won't say anything other car may crank slow, but not this one. The headlights and everthing else electrical will work but car will not start.
It still sounds like a low battery. I know you said you changed the battery. It takes a lot more amps to start than your lights and such. Is your fan belt loose? That would cause the battery to not fully charge. Maybe drive it for a while then take it to AZ or someplace and have them check the battery and the charging system, since you said that's when you have he prob. after driving about a hour. Check your belt first, I thought my battery was bad one time, took it to have it checked and it was fine, ended up the belt was a little loose.

V

vecog

ok i just ran outside to check the alt belt- nice and snug, battery sitting@ 12~13v, tried to start and click click. tried again nothing , wiggled key a bit and boom it starts. does'nt make sense.does this sound like ignition switch? I will try to check the relay tomorrow though.

Ok this is random, but i have a range rover that is an electrical nightmare....It would do the same thing except everything, lights, all would go out....wouldn't even click nothing.....roll it a few feet, then it would start right up.....my problem was the power wire going to the starter was corroded on the inside and had wore a hole in the wire and it would ground out on the side of the engine...before it could make it to the starter....if it doesn't do anything, try wiggling that power wire...and at night time turn on your car(or just turn on the ignition) and wiggle that wire, or anything else, and see if you get some type ark....You should be able to see something, if there is anything going on....

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
a few uk guys have had this problem aswell. they have all fitted a "starter relay mod" apparently some supras came from the factory with a relay fitted in one of the footwells others did not. ive never had any issues with mine but i guess maybe ill do this mod aswell.

apparently its to do with one of the cables to the solenoid degrading over time.

search for it on www.forum.mkiiisupra.net

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
All Supra's will use a starter relay as the wiring from the switch can't carry enough current to run the starter.

The problem being the way Toyota have done it there's about 15' of cable from the relay out to the starter and over the years it corrodes and resistance goes up throw in a dirty erroded contactor in the starter and you get troubles.

I run a relay right at the starter no more problems (well right up until an intake manifold blows up and takes the relay out but that's another issue ;) )

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Ive been having a starting issue too. Mine has been going on for over a year.
It wouldn't start after driving for awhile in the heat. Ive been through the starter and starter relay and an ignition switch new battery, now am running an Optima red.
The problem got so bad in the last week that I had to install a remote toggle switch to start the car with the key on. Works like a champ but didn't fix the existing problem.
Well tonight after putting in a new head unit and running new RCA cables to my amps I figured since I was allready sweaty then I should try some things on this starter issue.

This is the schematic I used.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=038
On the schematic it shows the main power to the ignition switch goes from the battery through a Fuseable link 2.0 then to a FL ALT 100 then to a 40A FL AM1 which is in the fuse box in the engine compartment. I pulled the 40A and saw the contacts were corroded, cleaned and treated them put it back in and its fine now. This gripe has been kicking my ass for a year and it turns out to be something so simple. Now I can start the car with the headlights on, AC on high and stereo blasting away no problem.
Ill keep the toggle remote for doing compression checks :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Finnon: Yep in the old days ALL the current for the starter solenoid went through the Key switch.......

Modern cars use tiny wiring and switches that can carry enough current to switch a relay and as cars get older even these unstressed switches can have issues.

V

vecog

Thanks for all the info, i will take a look at the solonoid mod and try that this weekend. Ill keep you guys posted the progress. thanks again.

Kris

Oct 14, 2007
cedar hill, tx
plaaya69 said:
Check the wire that comes from the battery and then goes to the starter. It may be bad. I have the same problem sometimes.

I have similar starting troubles with my 89 Supra. After installing a new battery, car would start a couple of times and then nothing. Installed new sparks plugs, replaced battery cable positive connector and cleaned/debrided ground connector and chassis mount, but car still wouldnt turn over. Car can be started using jumper cables off of another running vehicle.

I disconnected positive battery cable, put current meter in-line and it pegged! I cant see anything wrong with the starter cable, but maybe its corroded inside the jacket and shorting to the ground cable? I could check for a short between pos and gnd in this starter cable. Based on the starting system schematic - it looks like checking for continuity back to the starter should be an open. Does this sound logical? Any other ideas?