Squeak Squeak goes my wheel

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
So when my car is cold I have this rather annoying squeak comming from the front passenger side (best I can tell). It's dependent on the speed of the car and not rpms and when you come to a stop the noise will stop. So I know that it is not a belt. It does not sound like a wheel bearing (rocks or marbles clattering as I have experienced in other vehicles). I replaced the pads and rotors about 2 months ago and this started about 2 weeks ago. I don't know if it is break related or not? The anti-squeal piece for my brakes was not there when I did the brakes, but I thought that was to only stop squealing when braking (an issue I do not have)?

Any ideas out there? Thanks for the help, you guys have been a wonderful resource.

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
yeah that bolt on the bottom and the pin on the top that the caliper slides on to. there is a special kind of lube that you must use, I think Permatex makes some.

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
MA70Supra88 said:
yeah that bolt on the bottom and the pin on the top that the caliper slides on to. there is a special kind of lube that you must use, I think Permatex makes some.

Special for the car or in general? Pick it up at the local parts store?

Thanks for the help.

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
kelner said:
Special for the car or in general? Pick it up at the local parts store?

Thanks for the help.
special just as in it is made for brakes. i got some at Napa, it was near all the RTV sealant and stuff like that. It's only a couple bucks.

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot this weekend. It seems to be getting worse. Can any damage come from this? I just took lunch from work and it kept on the whole 15min drive to and from (30min total) where I went to eat.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
yes id say just use a bit of copper grease. perhaps if you have the time and money you could buy a calliper reseal kit from toyota aswell. I know there cheap enough. iirc there £30 in the uk.

1 other thing you may want to try if this doesnt cure the problem.

Remove the pads and check them for heavy glaze. if present a bit emery paper will cure it. Then cut a grove into the pad with a hack saw. across the narrowest part of the pad. ive done this before aswell and it seemed to work well. (i didnt do this on a supra though)

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
ive always used the gray permatex anti-seize on the caliper slides. my brakes are squeaking like a houseful of mice in a tornado every time i stop. with the brembo rotors and porterfield pads, i had expected this so im just dealing with it, but i think im gonna try some disc brake quiet and check it all for glazing.

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
It seems to have stopped for the moment? which is weird, braking seems fine. There was an extreme drop in temp today (20 degrees or so)

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
it's been on and off (more on than off tho). Anyways my friends say it sounds like it's comming from the driveshaft? Any chance on ujoints or loose driveline causing this sound?

EDIT: I'll br brief my roommate is trying to sleep. I haven't been able to grease the brake shims yet, which I still plan on doing, but fun, girlfriend and school come first.