Speedometer

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
my speedo has been out for nearly a year. What originally happened was after my swap (spun bearings, just put in another n/a motor) I took a trip to Tail of the Dragon, on the way up there the heat cycles caused the header to two-pipe nuts to come loose. This exposed my engine bay to the exhaust heat and my speedo cable melted. So I cut away the melted material, but it still doesn't work. I have a W58.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to diagnose this?

Last edited:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Replace whichever section was toast (upper, longer section, or lower, shorter section) with a used one. Don't forget to fill it with speed cable lube or at least motor oil to extend it's life ;).

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
ok so there was lube inside the cable housing? I am completely ignorant about how this works. So I will have to remove the cable from the cabin side and push it through the firewall?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Take ou the cluster and pull the cable out from the inside cabin (don't forget to disconnect the upper part from the lower). The upper part is the fucked piece right?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
If you have an automatic, you will have three pieces to the speed-o cable...

Just thought I'd throw that out there...

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
starscream5000 said:
Take out the cluster and pull the cable out from the inside cabin (don't forget to disconnect the upper part from the lower). The upper part is the fucked piece right?

Not certain, it's kind of in the middle? from about the point where the evap can is to down below the wheel well. I haven't seen where it disconnects?

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
well I've had it disconnected from the tranny before, I never noticed it broke into sections at all what so ever. does it differ from year to year? I have an 1986.5. Is there any after market alternative like an electronic sender?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
You can do electronic gauges, but not sure if you can rig it up to work on the OEM speedo... The speed cable is two pieces if you are using a 5spd (doesn't matter which one) look up around the down pipe and you'll see the section that unscrews to separate the two.

Imagination6788

Oct 6, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Under what section in the TSRM are the direction on how to replace the speedo? I'm not sure what section of mine is broken. It may have melted too. Peachtree is not very nice to cars, especially when they are repaving. I also need to get a new cat converter. Who knew these things were so loud even with a few small holes.