Spec Clutch vs R154 Bellhousing

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
So i bought the Spec Stage2 clutch from DM which came with the
OEM Clutch disk, i was currently in the middle of installing it and when i
put the clutch in and spin it, the outer clutch hits the Bellhousing?!

Is this normal? i pulled out my dremel and kinda made my own little grooves inside the
bellhousing so it doesn't hit "AS" bad but it still hits, should i be worried about this?
Call DM or what?

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-stage2clutchkitforr154.php

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
IJ.;1579778 said:
Something drastically wrong there, I wouldn't run it until you correct whatever the issue is.

First time installing a clutch but i highly doubt im doing something wrong? slide it on, then slide the clutch fork into
place, spin it and clink clink clink.

Also, with the center release bearing on the Pressure plate it kinda moves around if i put some pressure on it, is this normal?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
IIRC if you press the pressure plate all the way into the bellhousing, it will hit the bellhousing, but after the clutch fork is installed, and the pressure plate is slid forward, to bolt to the flywheel, you can see there are no clearance issues.

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
Yep, you need to bolt it up to the flywheel. If you notice, the center hub can be slid around, once you bolt it up, it will be fine.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
mkiiichip;1579821 said:
IIRC if you press the pressure plate all the way into the bellhousing, it will hit the bellhousing, but after the clutch fork is installed, and the pressure plate is slid forward, to bolt to the flywheel, you can see there are no clearance issues.

reincaster;1579903 said:
Yep, you need to bolt it up to the flywheel. If you notice, the center hub can be slid around, once you bolt it up, it will be fine.

Ahh ok!, Thanks for the replys guys i appreciate it a ton.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
BUT WAIT!!!!!!

Seriously, you mentioned that you have "Dremeled it out so that it doesn't hit "as bad". I have very serious concerns that you have perhaps weakened the bellhousing and the multipurposes that it performs for you.

Have you created any weaknesses in the bellhousing by doing this that may not be immediately apparent without further thought. Not the least of which being the strength of the bell housing and it's ability to support the motor, it's torque, it weight and it's ability to protect you should the clutch ever fail and come apart inside of it?

Have these dremel mods created any potential stress point that may eventually lead to failure through cracking, shearing etc.

Any damage to a bellhousing is generally considered to be a very bad thing, even a nick or slightly minor scratch is correct me if I'm wrong grounds for replacing the bellhousing in normal circumstances?

I know that magnesium doesn't like to be modified with anything without very likely compromising the structural strength of the piece. AS far as I know none of the ribbing and supporting metal of the bell housing is "extra" or "not needed" bits that can safely take being slightly trimmed with a dremel in any way shape or form.

Even if it seems fine and great now, depending on the cuts and how deep and how they are shaped, sharp endpoints for example may in the near or distant future completely fail on you leaving you in a fairly dangerous situation.

Just a thought I had. Perhaps I am simply being paranoid, but just because you are paranoid about something doesn't mean your nessecarily entirely wrong about it either.

Just a thought.....