Sound question

CBurgs'88

Apr 14, 2007
Detroit
I'm currently putting a new sound system in my supra since none of my speakers work anymore; and I want to finish it before my interior goes back in. I looked at the threads on this forum, and everybody has something different to say.

I have an '87 supra with the 4" pods and don't want to buy the 6" ones. I want a setup that is loud yet clear. I am planning on hooking the speakers up to an amp and also having 2 10" subs running on another amp. I am hoping to keep the cost under $1000.

My question is what qould be the best thing to do, buy 4 4" speakers for the front and rear, buy component speakers for just the front and coaxials for the back, or put coaxials/components in the front and make a speaker box in the back for bigger speakers (like 6x9)?

I have been looking at the Alpine SPS-10C2 speakers, does anybody know if they're any good for what I want?

supra1988

Just Along For The Ride
Jan 22, 2007
PA
Hey,
I have been doing autosound for almost 10 years now. Point blank, what you need to do is this. Go to an autosound store and listen to different component set until you find one that you like. Do not worry about putting rear speakers in the car... it has a small cabin space anyhow so they are not needed. Think of it this way. When you sit in the driver's seat and close your eyes, it should sound like the band is on your dash playing a concert for you. When you go to a concert, you don't hear the band coming from behind you. Get a 5 1/4" component set for the fron and make a baffle(3/4" wood) to mount the new driver where the old speaker pods were. You could even get a really nice set of coax speakers for the front as well. A really good company for highs is Diamond Audio... check them out, they are frickin awesome. Then add your subs to the rear. If you are trying to stay at $1000 or less, I would do a nice set of fronts, a single sub in the rear, with a nice 4 channel amp to power it all. 2 channels for the highs, and the other 2 bridged to run the sub. We have a small cabin space in our cars and they do not require alot of speakers to get a good sound. This setup will get you a nice clean sound for you inside the car. If you are trying to be heard coming a block away, then disregard everything I said.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
supra1988 said:
Hey,
I have been doing autosound for almost 10 years now. Point blank, what you need to do is this. Go to an autosound store and listen to different component set until you find one that you like. Do not worry about putting rear speakers in the car... it has a small cabin space anyhow so they are not needed. Think of it this way. When you sit in the driver's seat and close your eyes, it should sound like the band is on your dash playing a concert for you. When you go to a concert, you don't hear the band coming from behind you. Get a 5 1/4" component set for the fron and make a baffle(3/4" wood) to mount the new driver where the old speaker pods were. You could even get a really nice set of coax speakers for the front as well. A really good company for highs is Diamond Audio... check them out, they are frickin awesome. Then add your subs to the rear. If you are trying to stay at $1000 or less, I would do a nice set of fronts, a single sub in the rear, with a nice 4 channel amp to power it all. 2 channels for the highs, and the other 2 bridged to run the sub. We have a small cabin space in our cars and they do not require alot of speakers to get a good sound. This setup will get you a nice clean sound for you inside the car. If you are trying to be heard coming a block away, then disregard everything I said.

Tell me about it

I used to run a pair of IDQ CD-1 v.1 and you talk about getting loud.. Those got LOUD.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Hey,

AMEN to this reply, I concur 110%!!!

The subwoofer you already have is actually a pretty decent one, and is versatile enough to handle a good range of music. If you're looking for something that produces HUGE bass and EXTREME lows for bass music, hip hop or electronic / synth music, you may want to look elsewhere... but if you want something that can easily manage and sound good with rock, pop, hip hop, dance, etc..., react well to fast-beat music and offer pretty good overall quality (while not requiring tons of power or space), yours should do you fine.

Good luck man,

-James

My setup is below:

Attachments

• 2636692_20_full.jpg
    2636692_20_full.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 19

CBurgs'88

Apr 14, 2007
Detroit
Thanks for the help. I know feel like I know alot more about sound. In my current DD (2000 cougar) I have sony xplod 6x9's up front and 2 12" P2 subs. It sounds okay, but I wouldn't buy Sony speakers again. I think I want to do better in the supra, though. I'll probably just do like you said and get some diamond audio components.

For a custom speaker box in the front door, can it just be rectangular or does it have to be something else?
Also, if I went coaxial instead, would diamond audio still be the way to go?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I'm doing custom pods on my 4'' ones, so that i'll put 6 1/2 or 6 1/4 in the front and also mount tweeters on the door triangle, leaving the stock rears :D
Hope it will sound good :)