Sound of TiAL BOV

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Boost Lee said:
An 11lb spring DOES NOT mean it can only handle 11lbs of boost.

It has nothing to do with how much boost it can handle.

Yes, I know. Thats wastegate springs:biglaugh:. TiAL recommends an 11psi spring for the amount of vacuum 7Ms make. I linked to TiALs site that recommends certain springs for a certain vacuum. Link is a PDF file http://tialsport.com/documents/w3_tial_bov50_sp.pdf

88tsupra

Mar 21, 2007
long beach
I'm running a 12psi spring on my 7m and I think its to stiff. It seems like its barely opening up. But I love it to death, happy I don't have the HKS sometimes because I can let off next to a cop and he wont know what it is.

frydryce

Nygmatic
Feb 9, 2008
Orange County, CA
88tsupra;922699 said:
I'm running a 12psi spring on my 7m and I think its to stiff. It seems like its barely opening up. But I love it to death, happy I don't have the HKS sometimes because I can let off next to a cop and he wont know what it is.

the 2j guys are running 11psi. check your boost gauge and see how much vaccuum you have. then use the spreadsheet to figure out which spring you need. I've seen TiAL's perform awesome as long as you get the proper spring.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
frydryce;922547 said:
for those of you with 1jz, what spring are you running, or do you know how much vaccuum the 1jz pulls at idle?

IIRC from looking at too_stand's 1JZ in person, and how much vacuum it pulls at idle, I'd say the 9 lb spring is what's recommended, but Mike's 1JZ was pulling around 10-15 in/Hg IIRC.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I'll go off on a likely answer that a 1JZ will be fine with a 9lb or 11lb spring.

I ran the 11lb spring in the 7M, pulling 20 in/Hg at idle. It would surge a little with anything under 3psi. After that, it was the quickest release of air I've ever heard a BOV make. :)

I'll be running the 11lb spring on the 1JZ so I'll get back with you in about a month or so with an update of how it works. ;)

-Jeff

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
20 inc of vac is ~ 10 psi... so with a 11 psi spring the valve will stay shut.. put a 9 psi spring in and it will pull the valve open and cause a leak..

frydryce

Nygmatic
Feb 9, 2008
Orange County, CA
^^^^

That's not a TiAL sound, its compressor surge. TiAL's a great product, however so many people out there have the wrong spring rate in there (probably the stock 12lb one). Depending on how much vaccuum your engine makes at idle you need to lighten the spring.

this is what a properly setup TiAL will sound like, much better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-JTfgpFKrM

I've been doing some reading around and am liking the Synapse Synchronic BOV. Its a pull type like HKS so it will not leak and it sounds like the TiAL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWRXSKYrr8A

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
frydryce;923511 said:
^^^^

That's not a TiAL sound, its compressor surge. TiAL's a great product, however so many people out there have the wrong spring rate in there (probably the stock 12lb one). Depending on how much vaccuum your engine makes at idle you need to lighten the spring....

bingo.

88tsupra

Mar 21, 2007
long beach
So, if I run the 11psi spring it would open all the way up like the one in the video. Hmm I should consider getting another spring then. I have the 7psi spring that came with it cause the seller messed up, then 12 now i guess an 11 psi soon.

frydryce

Nygmatic
Feb 9, 2008
Orange County, CA
88tsupra;924962 said:
So, if I run the 11psi spring it would open all the way up like the one in the video. Hmm I should consider getting another spring then. I have the 7psi spring that came with it cause the seller messed up, then 12 now i guess an 11 psi soon.

if you have a boost gauge, just check how much vacuum you are registering at idle. that will tell you what springrate to get.

Once you figure out your idle vacuum, use this sheet to figure out which spring you need.

http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w3_tial_bov50_sp.pdf

ILikeCarsYesIDo

Permanently Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Hayward, CA
I need a BOV that will blow off at -15 In/Hg to any +PSI level. My TurboXS used to blow off when just driving normally if I got on it even just SLIGHTLY. Now between shifts it surges and it's rather annoying as I'd like to make this 57 trim last as long as possible. During boost it doesn't surge, of course.

I've taken out one washer in the Turbo XS but that hasn't helped it at all.