sound like my monitor or my vid card? Dimmness

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
OK I have a 21" CRT that now when I turn it on, is dimmed almost like a backlight went out or something, BUT it used to be if I turned it off and on alot it worked after 20 times of that. Well now it wont at all. I have a GeForce card and it WAS overclocked a little bit. Heres why Im THINKING it might be the card, because when the monitor is on, even though its dim, the control panel embedded in it is at its regular brightness when I bring it up, but the background (windows) is still dim. Sound like my card? I checked al my connections and the card isnt overheated, what you think?

If it matters its a ViewSonic monitor (a110) and the card is a GeForce FX 5700 256MB

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I would say monitor also.. mine is pooping out also. It goes blank some time. I have learned to bang it.. that last time it hit it, I hit it good and it hasn't gone out yet. I really need a new one.. but w/e. 21 in CRT is FTW

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Well, if 100% of the time the monitor's control sys pulls up full brightness, I'd lean towards something in your card. Have you checked to make sure the connection with the motherboard is secure?

Just plug the monitor into another computer and that'll tell you right away.....

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
there is absolutely no way it could be the card at fault. If it was a loose VGA connection you might see one of the colors drop out or flicker but not go dim. It's something that monitors do when they die.

If you can't throw down $200 for a nice cheap LCD, put a towel on the top of the monitor near the front and karate chop it for all you're worth. I had to do that to mine for a month until I could get a new screen :icon_bigg