Sound Deadening Weight & Measure!

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I just completed the removal of 100% all the sound deadening on an 1986.5 Supra

I put it all in 1 box and the total is 55 #s exactly

This is what all the sound deadoning is from.

Padding
firewall
passenger side kick panel
floor mats driver side & passenger side - front & back.

Tar
under speaker pods
around spare tire
under back seats
infront of back seats over the tunnel all the way to the front of the car.

Last edited:

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
ya... having to deal with the excess noise for only 55lbs... I would only remove it all if i was trying to make a track car.. completely gutted interior.. caged, with only 1 seat and no original dash... lol.. THEN saving that extra 50lbs is worth it...

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
its not really that loud inside i had most of mine removed before my tranny went kapots on me and its just a little bit louder.

Bathory

Apr 25, 2006
Massachusetts
removing the sound deadener most certainly is worth it, the increase in cabin noise is negligable. Pray tell, what will removing the sound deadener cause to rattle? The carpet against the floorboards? I dont think so.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Isn't 100lbs = to 1/10th thru the 1/4..................so 50 pounds equals what???????? a liscence plate length? And you won't even be able to hear your buddy congratulate you on the way home.

I sometimes believe we get a little carried away with weight savings. If it's that big of a deal, buy a honda.........don't destroy your Supra.

I do admire the fact that you did the actual weighing of the parts, instead of guestimating like most weight savers do. I've seen the weight deadening material guesstimated at 200 pounds before. Maybe you will discourage someone else from doing this by showing a true weight.

Bathory

Apr 25, 2006
Massachusetts
Yea, scraping useless tar off the floorboards will destroy supras, but parting them out because they have a bit of rust on them will not...

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
half the people in here probably havent even ridden in a Supra with no sound deadening. The question that hasnt been answered though is why did you do it?

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
THERE IS HARDLY ANY ROAD NOISE all this talk about lots of road noise with sound deadening is myth put carpet back in and most people didnt even notice the incress and those who did were the ones who helped me pull the stuff out.

worth it

to me yes because i need to take it out so i can FG my sub into my back seat area and the noise difrence is so small its worth the weight savings

for those looking for the whole stock thing drive with someone whos done it and make the opinon for your selfs