Some General Rebuild Questions

satori

Jun 27, 2007
Sacramento
Or not so general. I've searched but haven't got quite as detailed answers as I would like. I'm in the middle of a rebuild with Ross Pistons, ARP hardware, Cometic HG, etc. I'm shooting for 400whp.

1. How important are new rod bushings? I'm using stock rods and the machine shop checked the oil clearance and said the bushings were fine. But they have 170K mile. Should I just go ahead and replace them. I know the general answers will probably be something like "Why save $100 and risk the engine?". But has anyone really had problems arising from not replacing them, as long as they're within spec?

2. I would like to remove the crank plugs and clean out whatever's hiding in there but I'm under the assumption that you need to install new plugs. Where do you get new plugs? Should any good machine shop have new ones? How hard is it to remove them? They look like they were made not to come out.

3. I got my head and block back and I can barely feel ridges with my fingernail on both from the resurfacing. The shop said they're smooth enough for a MHG but I'm not sure. I know I should have probably found a better shop but it's too late now. I'm thinking about getting a lapping plate and cleaning both of them up. Can I use diamond paste for the head as well as the block, or should I use a different paste for the head? Something made for aluminum?

4. I got my oil pan back from the shop after a hot tank and it now has a fine layer of rust along some of the inside. How bad is this? How should I clean this up?

Just the beginning of a long line of questions. Especially since I seem to have misplaced 1/4 of the pictures I took while taking out the engine.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
1) Important

2) Toyota stock them and they're cheap

3) Diamond will do both

4) Wire brush it and give it a coat of CRC 5/56 to stop it rusting while you get the rest ready.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
satori said:
Or not so general. I've searched but haven't got quite as detailed answers as I would like. I'm in the middle of a rebuild with Ross Pistons, ARP hardware, Cometic HG, etc. I'm shooting for 400whp.

1. How important are new rod bushings? I'm using stock rods and the machine shop checked the oil clearance and said the bushings were fine. But they have 170K mile. Should I just go ahead and replace them. I know the general answers will probably be something like "Why save $100 and risk the engine?". But has anyone really had problems arising from not replacing them, as long as they're within spec?

2. I would like to remove the crank plugs and clean out whatever's hiding in there but I'm under the assumption that you need to install new plugs. Where do you get new plugs? Should any good machine shop have new ones? How hard is it to remove them? They look like they were made not to come out.

3. I got my head and block back and I can barely feel ridges with my fingernail on both from the resurfacing. The shop said they're smooth enough for a MHG but I'm not sure. I know I should have probably found a better shop but it's too late now. I'm thinking about getting a lapping plate and cleaning both of them up. Can I use diamond paste for the head as well as the block, or should I use a different paste for the head? Something made for aluminum?

4. I got my oil pan back from the shop after a hot tank and it now has a fine layer of rust along some of the inside. How bad is this? How should I clean this up?

Just the beginning of a long line of questions. Especially since I seem to have misplaced 1/4 of the pictures I took while taking out the engine.

1/. Just get the machinr shop to recondition the rod and be done with it.

2/. The crank plug do come out. I think you need an allen wrench for that.
Look in the reference section. Adjuster posted a thread on Engine
Rebuilding.

3/. Yes, you can use the same diamond paste for the block and head.

4/. It best top always have a clean oil pan or engine in general . Make sure
you clean it and clean it over and over again till its spotlesss

Cheers,
Roy

satori

Jun 27, 2007
Sacramento
Ok. I'm having new bushings pressed in. I'm thinking I will try to tackle the crank plugs this weekend. Any thoughts on the grade of paste? I figure a 6 should be good. I'll look for some CRC whatnot or something similar. Thanks. Now if my intake valves on my newly rebuilt head were sealing right...