So I was talking with a friend about Diesels...

suav

Apr 20, 2007
Montana
I've been curious for a while, ever since seeing full-size turbo Duramax and Cummins running 12's in the 1/4... just think what it could do in a vehicle weighing half as much..

Anyone know of a turbo-dieseled Supra or Camaro ?

It's just that I sort of see gas engines as a dying breed... diesels are just so much more efficient and seem to be more capable, plus I could have one converted to run off juice from a Chinese Buffet, so fuel would be basically free...

Is this too out there for a Supra? Camaro?
Wrong forum?
Any input appreciated...

lifted

Jun 13, 2006
memphis
as far as i know you dont have to convert anything to run it off of used cooking oil. you just need to filter all the crap out of the cooking oil.

suav

Apr 20, 2007
Montana
lifted said:
as far as i know you dont have to convert anything to run it off of used cooking oil. you just need to filter all the crap out of the cooking oil.
Yeah, and heat it up to a certain temperature. I saw a Jeep CRD with the conversion done, It was breathtaking

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
PIMP My Ride did a an old school Chevelle with turbo Duramax deisel motor with Alison tranny that has something like 1400 HP and 800 Ft. Lbs. of torque. It beat a Lambo at the 1/4 mile track on 20's. It was awesome. But as TOMA70E said, the motor and tranny are both rather large, even for a Supra.

Adam

6o4turbo

It never ends...
Oct 27, 2005
B.C. Canada
Size and Weight... Definitely the two biggest reasons you don't see imports running around with bigblock turbo disel's from full size pickups in them.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
I know a few guys around here with Duramax's. They are super good at tuning. There trucks are stock all but a boost controller and an awesome tune. I think they picked up 200rwhp and 350ft.lb. just off of the laptop and boost. But yea they run 12's.

Stacy David did a show on a bio-diesel filteration thing for your garage, wasnt terribly expensive and worked awesome.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
If you had a diesel of that size in a car, you would have something to the tune of 80/20 weight dist.

Now, food for thought! Take a look at the new VW turbo diesels....

IIRC they are just under 1.5ltr, turbo, and make plenty of power. (Look up the rally car turbo diesel)

duffer26

Jun 15, 2005
Colorado Springs CO
the cummins is a 5.9L and dry weight of it is like 1200# with out any accessories or injection system on the block that is just long block my 01 24 valve fills the engine bay in my dodge all the way their is no way you could sneak that massive bastard in a soup the frame alone could not hold it and i don't think the strut towers would rip off the frame trying to hold it in the air

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I think a Dodge Caravan with a 6.5L turbo deisel in the backseat is a great idea. Now that's a sleeper :naughty:

boosted17

Jun 5, 2005
Florence, KY
I like the diesel motors a lot but what scares me is one of the big trucks running 12's or less and unable to stop all that weight! I know of a few people that have them with all stock brakes! Scary!

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Seems like diesels can run on just about anything...you can even run them on Wesson oil from costco! LOL...just don't drive it on public roads...there are some pretty hefty fines in place for not paying the road fuel tax.

I have an 82 Mercedes 300CD turbo diesel that I have thought about coverting to WVO, but I think Biodiesel is a better choice, since it's taxed and legal for use on public roads, while still being an alternative fuel...

duffer26

Jun 15, 2005
Colorado Springs CO
johnathan1 said:
Seems like diesels can run on just about anything...you can even run them on Wesson oil from costco! LOL...just don't drive it on public roads...there are some pretty hefty fines in place for not paying the road fuel tax.

I have an 82 Mercedes 300CD turbo diesel that I have thought about coverting to WVO, but I think Biodiesel is a better choice, since it's taxed and legal for use on public roads, while still being an alternative fuel...

at this time thear is no law that says you cant make your own fuel and use it TAX FREE now buying non taxed off road diesel is a dif story dont ask me why but that is the way it is at the moment
some seem to think it is so people realy get the bio industry going and what the hell free resurch then the gov can take it and tax it after it has shown a good return and feasable for a long run solution