So I just got my raise at my full time job...

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
"Take care of the people and the work takes care of itself..."

This has always worked for me. Hire good people, compensate them as highly as you can and they more than pay you back for it.

$.15 per hour raise? To me that is an insult. It's like leaving a waitress a $.02 tip.

That may be a request for you to quit... I wouldn't expect you to stay after I did that to you...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Oh, and when I got the email from my Vice president I wrote back: "Ouch, when you first told me raises around here weren't that good you weren't joking were you? The future looks dim in deed..."

No surprise that I didn't get a reply back from that one eh? ;)

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
willfish said:
i think our raises are about 1.50 on average.
somes more, sometimes less
i think once i got a 3.00 dollar raise, an once got a 1.00 raise...

so go figure

Will

Back when I used to work for my dad, I would get $1.00/hr raises, your damn right that I worked hard for those raises SC ;).

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
starscream5000 said:
Oh, and when I got the email from my Vice president I wrote back: "Ouch, when you first told me raises around here weren't that good you weren't joking were you? The future looks dim in deed..."

No surprise that I didn't get a reply back from that one eh? ;)

Your reply just might be a visit from HR on a Friday afternoon with a box to pack your stuff in... ;)

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
When I went from temp. to perm. at the bookstore on campus, I went from $6.35/hr working as many hours as I wanted to then went up to $6.90/hr working only an average of 12 hours a week. Time to find a second job.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
I have sympathy too, but if you really want to get a nice raise *you* have to work for it. Do some research and see what the prevailing wage is for someone in your position. Calculate how long it would take to train a new-hire to do the job satisfactorily (and multiply that by the average training wage).

Give your boss real facts. Example: "65% of the machinists in the region make more money than I do and the jobs are in demand. I'd really like to stay with the company, but at my current wage I can't afford it. And if I leave, you'll have to train a new-hire. For simplicity, lets assume that the new hire you find is capable and reliable - showing up on time every day and working with the same work ethic I do (and this is a big assumption because you could very well end up with a lazy douchebag that costs you more than he produces). Anyway, just training him will probably cost you $8/hour training wage for 6 weeks (240 hours). That's $2000 -- and it doesn't even include your time (say $40/hour and 100 hours -- $4000). And even after all this time and money, you'll have someone who can only do a passable job."

The key is not to be advisarial, but to present your side clearly and in such a way that your boss understand the financial repurcussions of *not* giving you a good raise.

And there are plenty of bosses that just don't care. They can find someone else to do the job for the wage they pay for a few months. Those are the truly shitty jobs and you have no business staying there...

Shytheed Dumas said:
MA71,it depends on the employer sometimes. At the time of my "promotion" I had the previous several years of annual review ratings:

2001 Exceeds Expectations
2002 Meets Expectations
2003 Exceeds Expectations
2004 Exceeds Expectations
2005 Exceeds Expectations

You can't blame poor performance for my joke of a promotion, and I had let my direct chain of command know that I was overdue it. It came down to nothing more than a national manager I had met one time and who lived on the West Coast trying to meet his budget and promoting me only because others were pressuring him to do so. He was a prick, he knew it, and he didn't care. He's moved to Europe so life and opportunities are better now, and I am pushing hard for a new position which should land me a nice new salary... Fingers are crossed!

Sometimes your best efforts are unappreciated by a dick in charge, so I can say that I have sympathy for Starscream.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I've never had a raise at any real job I've had (any one that required a W2). The highest I've been paid at a real job is $22.75/hour. That was only an internship though, I should make a bit more once I'm a regular employee somewhere.

My future job timeline:
4 weeks of school
1 week spring break
5.5 months internship
1 week break
11 weeks of school
graduate
4 weeks winter break
get married
get job
live happily ever after

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
SLO-MK3 said:
Chico sucks. The cost of living is ridiculous for what this place is, and the pay is well under par.

/rant;)

The pay is shitty in all of "rural" california. But with Chico, you've got what, 15,000 college students willing to suck dick for minimum wage. So of course wages for unskilled work are pretty poor.

I don't think the cost of living really is that bad here though. My rent is $100/month cheaper here than it was when I lived in Portland, Or (and Arcata, CA and San Luis Obispo, CA). Gasoline is a few cents higher than elsewhere in the state, but everything else seems pretty normal.

saxman47

May 19, 2006
Northern NJ
swaq said:
I've never had a raise at any real job I've had (any one that required a W2). The highest I've been paid at a real job is $22.75/hour. That was only an internship though, I should make a bit more once I'm a regular employee somewhere.

My future job timeline:
4 weeks of school
1 week spring break
5.5 months internship
1 week break
11 weeks of school
graduate
4 weeks winter break
get married
get job
live happily ever after

not bad at all, sounds like a plan :cool:

what are you majoring in?

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
I havent been given a pay rise in 2 years but I have been given alot more responsibility...I dont complain about money to my employer...All the other workers seem to be bitching about money all the time.

The way I see it, it is good to be given a pay rise but I will not beg for one.
I have learnt everything...the work that guys on the production floor do upto my boss's work....

My boss is a Mechanical Engineer with a Master's degree from UC Berkely and worked for a Lockheed Martin as aerospace engineer and so have his friends and some of whom are working for NASA and big aerospace companies. I pick their brains too.

Now all he does is talk to companies for more business and shit like that...and I do all the technical shit like programming, technical decisions on reflectors and antenna, engineering drawings and more.

I am picking my boss's knowldege and skills for my experience for when I move to a big aerospace company. My boss lets me sign documents that go out to these aerospace companies and its good for me because these guys know my boss really well and will already know about me.
I could run this kind of business on my own...build everything from scratch on my own and make alot of money. I just have to learn more about business management...

So basically experience is what I want at this job. If you think that the experience is more valuable, just learn everything you can and have a side business to earn more money.

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited:

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Yep, that's where I'm at right now.

"A highly compensated employee..." So no raise this year. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Best I can do is get all the training and experiance I can before I find a new position either inside the company, or externally.

I've been here going on 11 years now. Make good money, but no raise is insulting. (I'm not the only one dealing with this new system.)

In the long run, this compensation program they are running will only hurt the company. The best talent will leave, and the people who stay will do as little as possible since they do not think there is any reason to try harder. I've seen this happen before, it's a cycle and when the pendulum swings the other way, the raises will be very good again. (I hope.)

Keep your options open, do your job, and keep your nose clean. I'm hoping for a promotion, and then I'll get a raise again. :)

Besides, as the others around me quit and move to other companies, already openings are coming around to be filled... LOL