sloppy shift

Spoolish87

Aug 21, 2012
Tn
my 87 supra seems like its hard to get into gear sometimes, specially going from neutral to 2nd, it doesnt grind at all so its not my tranny grinding, i changed the gear oil, no metal in it, so im pretty sure no metal is grinding, any ideas or hints to help fix?

Spoolish87

Aug 21, 2012
Tn
yeah thats what i was thinking also, but hoping it wasnt lol, it shifts fine from 1st to 2nd just going from neautral or 3RD down to 2nd its rough

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Mine does the same. Syncros are worn for second.

IF you slow down enough it should go in fine from 3rd.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Try not to rely on your synchros so much, and you'll be a smoother driver. :)

All about timing. ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Mr Bojangles;1870087 said:
Yeah, a little rev matching on down shifts will help your synchros a lot.

Plus it's fun.
One downside though... if your exhaust is loud enough to hear much, it seems like everyone thinks you're trying to race them. Then it becomes a game of the gap in traffic that you can downshift and not entice anybody to do something stupid. :p

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
te72;1870398 said:
One downside though... if your exhaust is loud enough to hear much, it seems like everyone thinks you're trying to race them. Then it becomes a game of the gap in traffic that you can downshift and not entice anybody to do something stupid. :p

This.....you don't even need a loud exhaust. My Celica's exhaust is pretty darn quiet and people still are hopping at the line >_<. Had some guy in like an 80's sunbird one tire fire off the stop light beside me the other day :nono:

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but get some redline MT-90 if you haven't already. Everybody who has used it swears by it, and for good reason. I was having the same problem as you until about 2 weeks ago. I put in the redline oil and was really really impressed by how much better it is. No more grinding for me. Hope that helps.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
kelson;1870439 said:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but get some redline MT-90 if you haven't already. Everybody who has used it swears by it, and for good reason. I was having the same problem as you until about 2 weeks ago. I put in the redline oil and was really really impressed by how much better it is. No more grinding for me. Hope that helps.

I'll second that. The stuff ain't cheap but it's much less than refreshing a tranny. I was amazed at the results as well.

Spoolish87

Aug 21, 2012
Tn
thanks i will have to get some of it and try it out, and yeah my exhaust isnt to to loud but i still have ppl trying to race all the time once they hear my BOV tho lol specially little hondas

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I had same problem.. kinda.. 1st is a tough shift.. 2nd same..
Went Redline fluid.. has helped, but still stiff shift. I ignore it. Our first 2 gears arent really that hot on the R154 for off the line racing... I concentrate on 3-4-5 (race from a roll). Saves tires too.. lol.

Redline MT helped, but didnt solve it. Our cars deserve the best.. and I think that is the best fluid for the tranny.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I haven't gone over to Redline MT-90 yet but from what I hear from others it's nothing short of amazing. I always heel-toe rev match to save my tranny, cause I don't want to pay money to get a tranny refresh anytime soon lol.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
216k before the trans fluid was changed during the winter i almost could not go from first 2 second no grind until the trans warmed up (for all i know original trans fluid) after the build i did the trans fluid im at 231k now its just fine hot or cold even if i have to go from 2nd to first using mt-90

plus seemed like changing the rear fluid and the friction modifier after it started making noise made it even better? or might have just been me there ha

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
radiod;1870430 said:
Had some guy in like an 80's sunbird one tire fire off the stop light beside me the other day :nono:
Dude, people in J-body GM's will race anything. I should know, owned one for 5 years... was a piece of crap, but was a piece of crap for a LONG time. ;)

Grandavi;1870484 said:
Our first 2 gears arent really that hot on the R154 for off the line racing... I concentrate on 3-4-5 (race from a roll). Saves tires too.. lol.

Redline MT helped, but didnt solve it. Our cars deserve the best.. and I think that is the best fluid for the tranny.
Running MT-90 on my car, no complaints in nearly 3 years of running with the stuff. Any bad shifts were 99% my own fault.

As for our cars 1st and 2nd gears, I have to disagree with you man. Most races, I usually kill people off the line, but I do seem to have an affinity for it too. If they haven't caught up by the end of 3rd gear (feels slow to me), then I've always won. :)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
te72;1870784 said:
Dude, people in J-body GM's will race anything. I should know, owned one for 5 years... was a piece of crap, but was a piece of crap for a LONG time. ;)

Running MT-90 on my car, no complaints in nearly 3 years of running with the stuff. Any bad shifts were 99% my own fault.

As for our cars 1st and 2nd gears, I have to disagree with you man. Most races, I usually kill people off the line, but I do seem to have an affinity for it too. If they haven't caught up by the end of 3rd gear (feels slow to me), then I've always won. :)

I have always wondered about that. If I were to try to speed shift from 1st to 2nd, I would grind. So.. i dont do it. Always wondered what it would be like if I could.. lol.
Is it a HUGE job to redo the syncros or is it a full rebuild on the R154?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Not really sure. Mine came off the JZA70 my engine came from, had a documented 67k miles on it, so it is fairly fresh still. Only grinds a bit on rare occasions, or if I don't commit fully to slamming it through the gears...

To answer your question though, a Mk3 can be properly quick if driven with quick feet and hands. ;)