"Sleeper" Lights questions

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
Ok so I understand that to get the "sleeper" look I pull the retractor fuse and manually set the pop height. I'd like the pop height to be about half of normal stock pop up.

My question is what size bulbs should go into it and how do you mount them properly?

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
hey, well for the sleepy eye look there are a few methods that one you mentioned and you can also buy a kit from ebay that has a adjustment.

as for the bulb the headlights are h4, if you decide to go with hella ecode or a ebay housing.

you can also do a retro fit, nsx headlights, or something custom.

search "sleepy eye"

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
arizzle;1346364 said:
hey, well for the sleepy eye look there are a few methods that one you mentioned and you can also buy a kit from ebay that has a adjustment.

as for the bulb the headlights are h4, if you decide to go with hella ecode or a ebay housing.

you can also do a retro fit, nsx headlights, or something custom.

search "sleepy eye"

Should i buy the kit or just do the other method? And what's hella ecode?

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
WaKonabi217;1346367 said:
Should i buy the kit or just do the other method? And what's hella ecode?

well the kit is usually for 240s but im sure you can re-wire it, also ecodes are housings for your headlights, factory you have sealedbeams which arn't that great and eveytime they go out you have to replace the whole thing. ecodes replace that and allows you to run a factory looking housing but a h4 bulb inside. if you do your route you will not be able to open and close your headlights.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50058

heres a headlight build that im sure is pretty easy and great looking.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
depends on the year of the car, on my 86.5 and 89, I can turn off my headlights, and as they're going down, flip the headlight switch up once, and they'll stay open half way..

on the 92, they'll go all the way down, not sure why maybe a change in wiring/relays..?

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
IJ.;1346378 said:
Single most worthless fagotty mod you can do to a Supra ;)

thats what i think also but i didnt want be mean :naughty:,

i still think the single be headlight mod is the nsx retro-fit :evil2:

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
arizzle;1346376 said:
well the kit is usually for 240s but im sure you can re-wire it, also ecodes are housings for your headlights, factory you have sealedbeams which arn't that great and eveytime they go out you have to replace the whole thing. ecodes replace that and allows you to run a factory looking housing but a h4 bulb inside. if you do your route you will not be able to open and close your headlights.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50058

heres a headlight build that im sure is pretty easy and great looking.

Ok well i'm thinking I like the kit if it allows me to still open and close my lights. I'll check out the ecodes and h4's.

However, that build was a tailight build lol. A SICK tailight build that I will probably look into later, but right now Im looking for headlight help lol.

I do appreciate you helping me arizzle, as i'm a noob to this stuff

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
arizzle;1346381 said:
thats what i think also but i didnt want be mean :naughty:,

i still think the single be headlight mod is the nsx retro-fit :evil2:

Ha, well what is the NSX retro-fit? Whats it look like i've never seen it

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
I used to watch in amazement as one of my stepsons continually went through the totally time wasting steps to do sleepy eyes to his car, all the time wondering, how could anyone want to spend time and effort to do a totally useless and ugly thing to his headlights.

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
rayall01;1346387 said:
I used to watch in amazement as one of my stepsons continually went through the totally time wasting steps to do sleepy eyes to his car, all the time wondering, how could anyone want to spend time and effort to do a totally useless and ugly thing to his headlights.

What would you like me to do? Apologize for my differing opinion...?

I personally dont like how much they pop, so I'd like to get smaller, brighter bulbs and reduce the amount the lights pop. Excuse me for thinking in a different way you do :slap:

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
I think the sleepy eye is pointless unless it's with the NSX retrofit or of similar sort. You will just reduce your amount of light by half. Besides, when it's dark out, the oncoming cars see the light, not what the light's in. Waste of time and/or money imo.

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
WaKonabi217;1346386 said:
Ha, well what is the NSX retro-fit? Whats it look like i've never seen it

survyor2's Supra - NSX retro fitted:

p1346397_1.jpg

p1346397_2.jpg

Nick Stonawski's dual Hella setup:

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

rodel's setup:

p1346397_3.jpg

p1346397_4.jpg

p1346397_5.jpg

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
Alec;1346394 said:
I think the sleepy eye is pointless unless it's with the NSX retrofit or of similar sort. You will just reduce your amount of light by half. Besides, when it's dark out, the oncoming cars see the light, not what the light's in. Waste of time and/or money imo.

Please fill me in on what this NSX retro-fit is?

EDIT: Ok, I must have been using the wrong terminology the whole time, because, like I said i'm a noob to this stuff, but ERA's pic is exactly what i'm looking to do

Last edited:

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
WaKonabi217;1346398 said:
Please fill me in on what this NSX retro-fit is?

EDIT: Ok, I must have been using the wrong terminology the whole time, because, like I said i'm a noob to this stuff, but ERA's pic is exactly what i'm looking to do

the pictures shown up from ERA are what they look like, but your going to need to cutt the radsupport and make custom mounts, and obviously use NSX projecter housings

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
arizzle;1346400 said:
the pictures shown up from ERA are what they look like, but your going to need to cutt the radsupport and make custom mounts, and obviously use NSX projecter housings

The making custom mounts I understood, but cutting the radsupport sounds hairy...lol

What does that entail?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
A lot. The NSX setup is NOT for the faint of heart. You have to butcher the front of your car- there is no way around it.

I have other things in the works, but an NSX style retro has been in my plans for a few years. I might not even do it anymore- time will tell. There are many other options that are better as far as actual usable lighting is concerned.

I've got two sets of NSX headlights sitting in my garage, I might make a hybrid setup out of them if I can, something that doesn't require any modification to the radiator support, and produces a better lighting pattern.

Edit: Let it be known that I strongly disagree with how surveyor's car was done. :nono: It looks good, but that's where it ends for me.

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
shaeff;1346410 said:
A lot. The NSX setup is NOT for the faint of heart. You have to butcher the front of your car- there is no way around it.

I have other things in the works, but an NSX style retro has been in my plans for a few years. I might not even do it anymore- time will tell. There are many other options that are better as far as actual usable lighting is concerned.

I've got two sets of NSX headlights sitting in my garage, I might make a hybrid setup out of them if I can, something that doesn't require any modification to the radiator support, and produces a better lighting pattern.

Edit: Let it be known that I strongly disagree with how surveyor's car was done. :nono: It looks good, but that's where it ends for me.

Well...hearing that i may go with the "sleepy" look that tekdeus has. Cuz I like it just as much.

Thanks all for your help

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
WaKonabi217;1346420 said:
Well...hearing that i may go with the "sleepy" look that tekdeus has. Cuz I like it just as much.

Thanks all for your help

tekdeus' headlight mod isn't exactly "easy" either.