Silicone or OEM hoses?

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
BrandonW;1165825 said:
can't you just use those spring type clamps? (not sure of their exact name but you have to get plyers to squeeze them and move them or to get them off)

like the ones that i have seen in my engine bay like the one that connect the vacuum hose to the bov

Just remember the cheapness of a lot of mark three owners (not saying that anyone who's posted is cheap) but zip ties are cheap and those metal clamps aren't as cheap. Hence why they are using a zip tie.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
im like zip ties??? why use those???

anyone know where i can get some more of the clamps im talking about? (maybe local auto store? i never checked)
and what they are actually called haha

thats the route i would take

i would rather not use zip ties, especially since the clamps im talking about do just as well if not a better job, and are made of so type of metal

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
i do have all of mine +2 extra ones haha (so i don't have to worry about not having any) i would only replace mine to look new, clean and rust free

but as far as im concerned i would not be using zip ties, i mean i really can't see them being that much money (i never priced them out or anything and i don't mean to come off in the wrong way) but i would only use zip ties as a temporary solution for a max time of like a week

how long can the zip ties even hold up in the under hood temperatures?

but if thats like the only thing you need to get your car running good then go for it but i would exchange the zip ties for the clamps as soon as i could

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Unless you actually have a strain on the zip ties, and you don't on the lines, they will last years. Just remember not to tighten them so much that they cut into your line.

Brian

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
JustinGotA1j;1165844 said:
Just remember the cheapness of a lot of mark three owners (not saying that anyone who's posted is cheap) but zip ties are cheap and those metal clamps aren't as cheap. Hence why they are using a zip tie.

well till this thread got to where it is now, i was thinking of using the zipties that Hose Techniques provided me with my MK3 Vacuum Hose Kit. Color matched zip ties and all. Figured if they provide them with their kit, that it should be acceptable for use on the car.

Last edited:

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
MA70witBoost;1166987 said:
well till this thread got to where it is now, i was thinking of using the zipties that Hose Techniques provided me with my MK3 Vacuum Hose Kit. Color matched zip ties and all. Figured if they provide them with their kit, that it should be acceptable for use on the car.

How would you rate the quality of the hoses from Hose Techniques? Do you have them in your car yet?? If so how long and and they holding up ok??

I'm thinking of ordering a set tomorrow, hopefully if you give me the thumbs up. lol

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
My main car, daily driver, is an 89 N/A. I have had the Hose Techniques hoses and zip ties on for about 6 years. I have not had any issues with them at all.

I use the zip ties because there isn't any reason to put a metal clamp on them to hold them on. It's not an issue of whether I can afford the clamps, I've just never liked them. The zip ties hold them fine.

However, if using the metal clamps is what you would like to do...I say go for it. After all, it's your car and ultimately you need to do what is going to give you piece of mind and make you happy.

Brian

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Supra469;1167598 said:
How would you rate the quality of the hoses from Hose Techniques? Do you have them in your car yet?? If so how long and and they holding up ok??

I'm thinking of ordering a set tomorrow, hopefully if you give me the thumbs up. lol

no, sorry, dont have them on my car yet. Refreshing the whole motor befor dropping it in. I'll let you know later. They should be good tho. Hose techniques makes a wide assortment of kits so they should be good.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Thanks MA70.

I called Hose Techniques and this is what they told me the 'kit' includes:

- 5' 3.5mm
- 7' 4mm
- 6.5' 6mm
- 3.5' 8mm

Does that sound correct?

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Didn't want to start a new thread, but wanted to mention that Hose Techniques is having a sale right now on their gear if anyone was looking to pick up some new vacuum hoses. Not a huge drop in price, but enough to make a difference.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
mirage83;1174371 said:
Didn't want to start a new thread, but wanted to mention that Hose Techniques is having a sale right now on their gear if anyone was looking to pick up some new vacuum hoses. Not a huge drop in price, but enough to make a difference.

Thanks for the info. I did not know about this sale.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Supra469;1168478 said:
Thanks MA70.

I called Hose Techniques and this is what they told me the 'kit' includes:

- 5' 3.5mm
- 7' 4mm
- 6.5' 6mm
- 3.5' 8mm

Does that sound correct?

yeah, that sounds about right. Ordered my Samco Sport Engine Water Hose set from Group A Supra. Should be getting those in december. Can't wait to get them on to test them. :naughty: