Should I Buy An MK3?

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
IJ. said:
SSSC: Even if you have the money they're not always fun trust me on this one ;)

ill trust you one that one IJ. :naughty:

Monkey i think you should look for something else. Robert at 935 motorsports has an N/A 89. grey, and in much better condition then that red one for $1500.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
I bought mine with a BHG and blown rad so I know what your going through here. Thinking back on it I should have waited for better one but I learned alot about these cars during the process of rebuilding her. If you know how to work on them yourself and don't mind the constant lack of money, sleep, and social life it will be a great project car. But like everyone else has said, that one sounds like it needs just about everything so I would say pass.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I think supras are those rare types of cars that only make ownership worth while if you truly love the car.

I'll admit it twenty times over - Buying my supra was without a doubt the most retarded thing I've ever done. Driving it into the ground through half arsing maintenance was the second most retarded thing I've done. The third was spending probably twice the value of the car in impound fees to save it from getting crushed...

I love my car, despite my lack of time, money, space and mechanical know how, I refuse to sell it. I'm planning on dumping every penny I get from now till august on a restoration, a car that I'm not old enough to drive and have not a hope in hell in insuring when my license finally does come.

No other car compares to it even slightly in the slightest - I even bagged myself a passenger ride in a R33 skyline yesterday, a former dream car of mine, and all I could do was compare it to my rusty old $400 Toyota. What's worse is I still think my car is better.

Even as someone who loves these cars to the bone, I'm telling you not to do it. If you've had to start this thread, it's obvious that you're not "in love" with MK3s, and unless you've got "the love", this relationship will NEVER work out.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I wouldn't buy a Mk3 for less than $5000. It just isn't worth the pain in the ass factor of building the car up to where it should be. Then after you have worked forever on restoring the car you have probably spent more than buying a good condition one in the first place.

If you only have 500-1000 to lay out on a car...you don't really have much business buying it.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I started this go around with this car:

p851159_1.jpg

But I had a good motor, trans, interior to go into it, PLUS a whole lot of love. The question is not can it be rebuilt, and made into a nice car again. Rather, it is do you have the love, the know how, and the money to get it there?That's almost another one of those pick two of the three type situation. I just happened to be an exception.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
only buy it if you have always wanted to own one... if it's the car you've always wanted, all the man hours spent working on it and all the hours working to pay for it pale in comparison to how much you enjoyment you get out of having one of these beautiful machines..

Mine is parked outside my window, I sometimes just stare at it for hours... These cars are amazing, and are a blast on the street and track. But it takes a lot of time and money to be able to get any enjoyment out of them...

I bought mine almost two years ago as a stock n/a with a blown head gasket for $3300... I've put more than 10,000 into it, not including the motor that's currently in it. I have a pile of receipts for the rebuild on my engine and turbo totaling more than 8 grand. (I bought the motor off a friend of mine with 5,000 km's on it, the car was written off)...

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
If you really like them, save your money longer and find a good one off the bat. Unless you have a garage, all the tools, all the time & knowhow, and a huge bag of money.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I have to agree with most of the guys here.... save your pennies and buy a much better base. By the time you get around to getting it back to good you might as well have bought a nice one to begin with. Good luck and keep searching.

clutchgordon86

n00b-Jersey
Feb 7, 2007
New Jersey
^^^ agreed. save as much as you can. I was going to buy one for $4500, went and looked... garbage. Waited 2 weeks and picked up one for $5500. And what a difference between the cars. Get something that you can drive right away. It'll piss you off having this car sit in your driveway for months on end and all you want to do is take it for a spin.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
hey I bought mine out in the forest for 800 bucks with no engine..

I agree completely tho.. took me months to source the funds and all the missing parts to assemble the engine and install it. man did it take some endurance to see it though. now its like damn need more money to build it up.