Should I Buy An MK3?

bobdoles_monkey

Dec 9, 2007
san diego
My first time here (sorry if this is in the wrong section) and was just wondering what you guys thought about if this mk3 was worth buying or not.
$500 i have seen the car in person and done a light check out(it was starting to rain), has been sitting for little over a year, 144k miles targa, has a rod knock, several vaccum/misc hoses are missing, intercooler and some piping are in the hatch, front right brake line has been cut, passenger door lock had been broken into, no radio, very clean seats carpet dash etc.., rear right wheel is a honda wheel(no clue), hatch is missing the rear wiper and letting rain water get in, no rust in the hatch but is missing the carpet, drivers door seems a little bent and has rust on it, supposedly has a performance dp and thats all the exhaust that is there, and i believe thats it. im going to go look at it again within a few days if theres anything else i should look at? new to supras but have done some research.

heres the car:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

C

cnewingham

where in san diego are you? I would say yes if you are looking for a fun project but if it is to be your only vehicle then I say no

bobdoles_monkey

Dec 9, 2007
san diego
i gots the money but its a small flow and my dd is a saturn

cnewingham: im in linda vista, you from san diego?

is there anything else i should look for in the car? i guess if it doesnt work out i can always part it

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
unless you have like 2500 bucks layin around that you have nothing to do with but spend it on a car in the next year or so, don't buy a Supra. maintenance sucks. especially on a $500, 20-somethin year old car. then you'll want mods cause it's apparently boosted (you said performance "downpipe" so i assumed a little bit...?), and then you'll be poor.
these cars are either really high maintenance or don't really require any at all... there's not too much of a happy median and not too many people have mkiii's that require no attention. they're gorgeous and well worth the time though.
if you've got the funds and another daily driver while the Soup's in the works, do it.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I agree with what everyone else has posted... Maintenance alone is quite expensive (depending on how you look at it/how much you earn)...

You also need the time to baby and mother the car as much as possible...

From what you posted, a fuck load of things will need replacing before getting it even halfway up to scratch with most of the cars on here... And that is just the aesthetics!

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
1k-2k more will get you a much better base. You will spend more than 2k to get this one to the point of just going out and buying a $2000 car. I would pass on this one, sorry!!!

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
Haha!

IJ you are one funny man. Although it's very true.

Hey monkey, it's funny how you posted that pic. I'm currently in the market for another one and I was really thinking about getting that car not too long ago but, I'm striking a deal with suprastanger507mgte.

Listen to these people, supras are only fun if you have the money. It's a luxury. Also dont forget about preventive maintenance and insurance. It's a bitch here in San Diego. I live just south west of you in Mission Valley.

Last edited: