short term investment

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Whats a short term investment that'll make a decent return? I'm selling my car and will have 10k+ to invest for 6 months or so until i'm ready to buy a new car..

I was looking at the IGN Orange savings account, they say 4.5% interest and its still liquid, seems pretty good.. CDs are around 5% but arn't easily cashed out if I need it from what I hear.. ideas?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CD's are a sure thing with a good return. But I think they have to be 9 months at least. My shortest option was 9 mos. It gave me a 4% return, I believe.

4% of 10,000 = 400 bucks. :)

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I keep a money market account open, you can pull/add money as you see fit. The rates go up the more money in the account. Its not the best return on cash but it is free money with no commitment.

400 bucks a month for 10grand sounds like Alot to me or did I missread lol.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Like any short term investments? Since your handy on cars, buy a cheap car in the paper fix/clean it up and resell it, since your doing your own labor you will be making more money, I have been doing it with my dad for years, just gotta keep the cars cheap so they sell quick.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
iwannadie said:
I keep a money market account open, you can pull/add money as you see fit. The rates go up the more money in the account. Its not the best return on cash but it is free money with no commitment.

400 bucks a month for 10grand sounds like Alot to me or did I missread lol.

400 for the entire 9 month period. Not per month.

Money market accounts require a large minimum balance, dont they? The highest interest at US bank for under 10 grand is 0.5%. Are you guys sure you get more than 5% on a money market account? Or do you just have a balance of $250,000+?

Who offers accounts with more than 5% APY?!?! Show me to their doorsteps, please. ;)

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
get the paypal market thing :) ive made a quarter a month for about a year now while always having 10$ in the account Lol

daytrading is a good way to make a few bucks... or lose everything!

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Shop banks and find a good money market account. My local bank offers a higher return on the money market account than any of the CD's I could find.

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Paypal is over 5% and you have access at all times. Just make sure no one else has access. If you or a relative is active or prior military, you can get an account at USAA.com. That is the best one I have.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Element256 said:
Do you guys REALLY trust paypal with that amount of money ? tsk tsk

I wouldnt, I use my local federal credit union. Its money market is just below paypal interest but I feel much safer with the bank. I can go to any branch if I have a problem. Where do you go when you have a problem with paypal? Call some guy in india named bob smith surprisingly.