Seagate/Maxtor suck in big way

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
old maxtors are good, they where bought out and now suck...

western digital isn't bad either...

BZZZZZZZZZZ WRONG, optical media starts to decay after as little as a YEAR. Magnetic media is far more stable. Tape backup is still the best option, though a bit slow.

I know people that have stacks of harddrives as backup as the price per gig is better than optical media. Keep in mind externals are missing 2 key components that keep HHD's alive, one is vibration dampning from being in a heavy case, and two is lack of cooling.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Seagate makes some of the best drives available right now.

Maxtor on the other hand... I'm not impressed with.

Either way, Poodles is exactly right which is why I'm very careful with my laptop while its running, and I have all of my desktop drives either in front of a fan or at least in some sort of airflow.

Last edited:

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
mkIIIman089;906780 said:
Seagate makes some of the best drives available right now.

Maxtor on the other hand... I'm not impressed with.
Seagate owns Maxtor.

I've had at least four Seagate hard drives, and none have failed on me. You should always have you data backed up no matter what hard drive you used. Now I just need to take my own advice and get back on my automated back up system... Not simple stuff when you have 200GB+ you want backed up.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
mkIIIman089;906885 said:
To me, it means nothing. If they are still making junk then its still junk, good companies can have bad product lines.
This is true, and I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you. I've used a few Maxtor hard drives before Seagate acquired them and I wasn't impressed. I think one of them died on me. I won't hesitate to buy another Seagate hard drive but I'll never purchase another Maxtor.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
WD drives rule..

if you are good with forensic tools i will look up the programs. If its deleted these programs can sniff them out and find them cause no program or file is permanently deleted unless it has been written over by another file.

This process will be LONG cause it analysis the entire drive bit by bit.

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
Western Digital is about the worse hard drives i've ever used. I've had 4-5 die on me but they have gotten better since IBM got em now, so any after the year 2004 should be fine. I still won't trust them though =P I've gone with Maxtor all my life after that and I've never had a problem at all. You have to make sure what condition your buying the drives in as well. The only maxtor i've had fail on me was an extra backup i had and was because i dropped it from 10ft. It still works cuz takes a little long to move stuff but i need to make a backup of my backup but its still going strong after 1-2 years back when i dropped it and it clicked.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
TaSe;907005 said:
WD drives rule..

if you are good with forensic tools i will look up the programs. If its deleted these programs can sniff them out and find them cause no program or file is permanently deleted unless it has been written over by another file.

This process will be LONG cause it analysis the entire drive bit by bit.

Already started ripping cd's onto pc. No worries just really thought that I should let people know how lame they are.