scraping and clunking

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
when I engine brake or drive the car in reverse I get a scrapping noise that sounds like it's coming directly from under the middle console. My guess is on play in the drive shaft or some drive shaft component. Can anyone help me pinpoint it?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Check the driveshaft center bearing 1st...I hope that's it, the alternative is not likely to be good ;)

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
jdub said:
Check the driveshaft center bearing 1st...I hope that's it, the alternative is not likely to be good ;)

I agree, Mine did the clunk, scrape sound and my carrier bearing was toast. Dropped the whole shaft and my U joints were toasted.Long story short i needed a new d/s address the issue ASAP before it cost you big money like me.

Does you car vibrate more than usual at highway speed?Thats a good indication unfortunate for me i didnt catch it early enough.Good luck.

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
No vibration on the highway. I guess I'll get it looked at this weekend. What's a carrier bearing run money wise? Easy job? I've had the d/s down in my engine swap, it was pretty easy to get out of there.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Mine makes a scraping noise occasionaly, and the clunking is play in the differential, just about every Supra I have ridden in makes that clunk sound....I assumed the scraping was because my trans is way worn out.

I have no weird vibrations at highway speeds either.