Rod knockin blues

Nov 29, 2006
Vacaville, CA
Well it finally happened after the BHG I had 2 years ago my 1990 supra has rod knock. im thinking of either parting it out OR doing a rebuild. I have another 1991 supra in the garage that needs to be finished being slapped together so I don’t have to ride my motorcycle in the rain.

How much am I looking to spend by doing a stock rebuild with an upgraded oil pump a MHG and cleveite bearing?

Yes I did do a search im just not proficient with it.

Topher E

Trance Head
Aug 4, 2005
Vacaville
If you do the top ned you might as well replace the rings and clean the block out. I wouldnt think it would be too costly on parts but machine work might kill ya.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Machine work usually runs $300-1200 depending on how much work needs to be done and of course the actual machine shop you bring it to. A gasket kit is in the $300 range. The rest just depends on how in depth you want to go. You can usually reuse the rods and pistons, but some people replace them anyway.

suprapower1221

Jul 5, 2006
pa
i wouldnt reuse old rings. you will have better compression and there pretty cheap. You can buy new pistons and rings for like 150 on ebay. gl with the rebuild.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Rings are cheap. Pistons can get expensive but aren't too bad. Personally I would never reuse rings unless I was 100% sure they were in perfect condition.

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
johnathan1 said:
What caused your rod knock?

He had a bhg 2 years ago; so I figure the oil/water mixed pretty good but it never started knocking. So just plain wear on the internals after said oil/water mix had taken it's toll.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
rodknock.jpg

thetanzer2006

Jan 6, 2007
Austin, TX
man i just got bad rod knock today, and i thing i blew my head gasket, ill find out tmw moring when the guy comes and does a estame. i think i either broke the rod or bent it, what ever it is its freakiy load, lucky the dude i bought the car from gave me 2 other motors, one runing and one parts, so im think a swap is happening soon....