Rod Knock = thrown rod :(

Jkm3141

Jul 18, 2007
Rochester, NY
when on my way to work about a week ago I noticed the car was producing slightly less power than usual, and within a min had rod knock. Obviously, I imedietly exit'ed the highway, but by the time I got to the end of the off ramp It had thrown a rod. My guess is that when the headgasket blew last year, some water got in the oil and blocked an oil passage in the crank, cauing it to spin a bearing or losen a main cap. Anyone ever experiance any sudden lowend issues after a BHG? This happened just about 600 miles after the BHG was fixed.

- John

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
the damage was likely done before you even knew there was a bhg. did you change the oil a couple times after repairing the BHG? the water in the oil likely damaged the the bearings at that time, it just took this long to manifest itself

Jkm3141

Jul 18, 2007
Rochester, NY
Yes i did change the oil. However, after the gasket "blew" i drove it about 2 miles home. The damage was probably then. Its not a huge crisis, other than the fact i put quite a bit of money into the BHG last fall. I already purchased my future planned motor about 3 weeks ago, but was planning on installing that mid to late summer, not early summer. Oh well, i guess its an excuse to do my swap earlier.

Jkm3141

Jul 18, 2007
Rochester, NY
Well, I pulled the motor this weekend and found the following chunks in the oilpan.

The other bolt was in there as well but I lost it. it wasn't bent or anything however. Cyl 3 was the cyl that had the rod break. I also pulled the head and fortunately there is no damage that I can see to the head. The valves are all lined up as they should, and move as they should. Lesson learned is changed the oil multiple times after a BHG, and dont drive when burning a lot of coolant.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Jesus that's scary. My motor has had 3 BHG's, and all of them were done with a full engine rebuild except the last one @ 250k miles. :(

I gotta try to save for/buy a motor to mildly build while I wait for the current one to crap out.

Jkm3141

Jul 18, 2007
Rochester, NY
yea, my problem was I only did work on the top end. I did no low end work on the engine, figuring I could get away with it. It's not the end of the world, assuming I can sell the head which is in great shape.

afofsupra

Mar 14, 2008
md
Wow!!! We drove an NA that was knockin louder than normal conversation over 5 miles (at 30-50mph) and never threw a rod. It has 3 spun bearings, but the bearings were still intact.

Bummer. GL....

edit...
just pulled the pan off that motor and #6 rod nut is off and squashed with rod bolt bent...probably just a few thousand revs from being thrown. That was close!!!

Last edited: