Removing w58 transmission cant reach last 3 bolt off the bellhousing

Richard2050

Feb 21, 2010
Seminole County
Like title said. One bolt is right after the first starter bolt. Bolt head is facing transmission. Second bolt is after the second starter bolt, and the third is the last one on the passanger side. Bolt head is facing on engine side and so is second bolt.

I already took off the whole 2pc driveshaft i took off the rear support bracket so i left my jack under it. So its just those 3 bolts left. Right?

Also i dont know how disconnect the rear speed sensor connector. shown in number 9 tsrm manual. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=MT&P=4

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
Just a quick question, Are you removing the motor also later on or no?

If you do plan on removing the motor,
Remove the motor with the tranny connected, it will save you alooottt
of time, sweat, blood, and profanity.

I personally have never removed the tranny without the motor cause i just dont
wanna go through that, so sorry if i cant answer your question directly but i was just
saying if you plan on removing the motor, go ahead and leave it connected and pull them both.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Richard2050;1526527 said:
Like title said. One bolt is right after the first starter bolt. Bolt head is facing transmission. Second bolt is after the second starter bolt, and the third is the last one on the passanger side. Bolt head is facing on engine side and so is second bolt.

I already took off the whole 2pc driveshaft i took off the rear support bracket so i left my jack under it. So its just those 3 bolts left. Right?

Also i dont know how disconnect the rear speed sensor connector. shown in number 9 tsrm manual. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=MT&P=4

The speed sensor simply unscrews. You can do it by hand, or maybe with a vise grip if needed.

As for the bolts, they are a pain. Wobbler extensions/ujoints might help. I pulled my tranny 2 years ago and it wasn't easy. Those top 4 bolts are a bitch.

Did you prop up the front of the motor at all? As I recall, I jacked up the front of the motor very slightly so the tranny would drop a little. Gives you more space.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
When i replaced my auto tranny, I had the car on jacks/ramps and did it twice because i screwed up the first time, all in an underground car lot (shines nails on chest) hahaa. Trick? Jack up front of engine a bit, and let the tranny weight the ass end down. You will need roughly 3 feet of extension, and I found a knuckle joint on the end to be required to get the deep socket positionned correctly. I layed under the car, under the driveline, and was looking down the tranny from the back as i used the extension. It worked for those top bolts. You'll maybe need a flash light to see them, as I did.
Good luck, It's very possible.
eric

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
When I took my auto off it was a pain! I thought I had enough extensions but I was wrong!! I tilted the motor back, used some wobler extensions, and then funny thing is I used a breaker bar through the shifter hole to get enough leverage!

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I just used the 3/8 ratched, and both hands (one to steady the head, and the other to torque). Sounds like you need to hit the gym mr big ass ;).
eric

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Haha!! It was just that my big ass didn't fit under the car!! Plus the breaker bar was either hitting the floor or the tranny tunnel.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
i bought a 14mm long handle ring spanner exactly for this reason, they're all accessible and i don't recall it being a hard job? i had my box out and backin within 4 hours and managed to replace a few seals with time for beer breaks!

i reckon the biggest pain in the ass is getting the gearbox back in.

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
I needed to get about 30" of 1/2" drive extension and a swivel socket to successfully remove those two top tranny bolts. You also have to drop the tail section of tranny to get the extensions lined up correctly. Good Luck I did the AT to MT swap in Sept 2009. It wasn't bad. just my car is dirty as sin.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Loosen the motor mounts and let the motor tranny tilt. Leave the 2 bolts on the side and take those off last. A combination of extensions and swivels will work.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I use a trolly jack and a piece of pipe under the damper to tilt the engine backwards as soon as you pull the trans it'll go nose down making it difficult/impossible to refit on your own.