removing tints from rear window

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
ya so the previous owner put some 5% tints onto the rear window for some reason and its hard to see out during the day...and impossible to see through at night:3d_frown: ...im wondering how to remove the tints, like without messing up the defrost thing??? if its hard i might just bring it to a shop to do but if its do-able ill do it..But i will retint it, just a lighter tint

thanks
steveyblack

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
86andhalfWhiteGirl said:
From past experience with old tint... its hard to take off.... and it does ruin the defrost.

i would recommend to have a professional shop take off the old tint and re-tint it for you.

good luck!

would the shop know how to take off the tint with out ruining the defrost

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
its pretty damn cheap if you wanna get a retint. shops my way will do the whole car (4 windows plus hatch) taking the old tint off and reapplying new for around $125.

i've heard if you can peel the old tint off you can spray windex or glass cleaner on, tape a black plastic trash bag up and leave it in the sun/heat for a few hours, itll soften the adhesive and you can wipe it off.

best stuff ive used is the aerosol stoner invisible glass cleaner, takes the old adhesive right off.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
steveyblack said:
If you go to a shop, specify that you want to keep your rear defrost. Sometimes they will just rip it off, so make sure they know that your trying to keep it. If the tint is really old some of the defrost will be damaged upon removal regardless if they are carfull or not. Goodluck

steveyblack said:

when i have had 'new' tint put on virgin windows w/defrost on them ... the shop always says that they dont guarantee the defrost working properly after they apply it. The last time i put tint on was 2003 on a 2001 mustang coupe. I dont know about today's tint shops and new tint... you would have to ask the shop when you have it done.

in the old days... the adhesive on the tint itself was activated with windex and or baby shampoo. im not sure about today's tint... and the advances in new tint...

if i recall the shops only guaranteed the tint from fading for 6 years max... (turns purple) in 2003 they said 'as long as you own the car'... 2 -3 years...lol:sarcasm: 10 plus years now.. right?

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
window tint for the back window blows no matter what you do.. any other window I can do myself but then you have the defrost so I never bother with it. well unless it already don't work. I heard from different shops that they just replace back windows then tint sometimes..

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
what about freezing the tint off, like with the keyboard cleaner stuff...will that mess up the defrost?

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
wisconsin/illinois border
for me the rear hatch tint i removed, i just hit a small section at a time with my propane torch....low flame....and took my razor and went along the defrost lines. Perpendicular not across! I had a fairly easy time once the tint was warmed up to peel most of it by hand, thus eliminating damage to the defrost lines.

Just a note: This is from personal experience and in no way am I suggesting you try this with your ride...cause if you damage it (NOT my fault):icon_evil

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
how we used to do it at the dealership:

cover hatch and interior trim w/ trash bags

spray undiluted ammonia on entire window

turn rear defrost on until the window gets good and warm. may have to cycle a couple times since it has auto shut off.

keep your eye on the ammonia, if it starts to dry up, spray some more on there.

start peeling, try to get it off in as big of sections as possible. keep spraying some ammonia if it tries to dry or the tint separates into layers.

after you get it off, you will need to go behind w/ water and 0000 steel wool to clean it up.

be careful not to inhale the ammonia or do it in the wind.

ninja edit: you may also "preheat" the window by facing it in the sun for an hour or two. just be careful not to get it too hot or the ammonia will bake off as soon as you spray it.

oscar35783

Feb 24, 2006
Jax, FL
I removed a 16 years old tint from my car using a razor and a steady hand and a lot of time. The tint was so bad that all was left was the glue, the film had flake off. It was so bad that i could see at night when i was backin up. BTW, i still managed to cut 3 defogger's line.

boosted17

Jun 5, 2005
Florence, KY
They guy that tints my windows I believe uses simple green spays it on the tint. Then uses the old clear part of new unused tint puts it on the window and he will let the car sit out in the sun for about an hr. Then he pulls the tint off. It came off in one piece and didn't ruin my defrost. The tint he pulled off was ten yrs old too.

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
dbsupra90 said:
how we used to do it at the dealership:

cover hatch and interior trim w/ trash bags

spray undiluted ammonia on entire window

turn rear defrost on until the window gets good and warm. may have to cycle a couple times since it has auto shut off.

keep your eye on the ammonia, if it starts to dry up, spray some more on there.

start peeling, try to get it off in as big of sections as possible. keep spraying some ammonia if it tries to dry or the tint separates into layers.

after you get it off, you will need to go behind w/ water and 0000 steel wool to clean it up.

be careful not to inhale the ammonia or do it in the wind.

ninja edit: you may also "preheat" the window by facing it in the sun for an hour or two. just be careful not to get it too hot or the ammonia will bake off as soon as you spray it.

This is the best method, the Ammonia makes short work of the adhesive. The heat speeds the process up. Follow this and use no! metal scraper, soft rubber scraper like those used to spread bondo works good.

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
If its really old and really bad, the method dbsupra90 described is your only chance but its not a guarantee. I tried but mine was so caked on there I just had to use the scraper and go to town. Defroster will not work now but its no big deal to me.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
It's Formula 409 that we used for my last hatch tint-replacement, with the trash bags. I did not want to lose my defroster.

Soak the window good, put the trash bag on (slice it open.. only needs to use 1 layer of plastic), and let it sit in REALLY strong sunlight for a couple of hours. Should peel off as one piece, if it doesn't, then keep it wet, as you pull off smaller pieces.