Reliabilty of A supra

hkstuner4590

Aug 27, 2007
Waukesha. Wi
Im 17 and thinking of buying a supra. I have been seeing a couple in the 1500 to 2000$ range and was wondering how reliable is the car and is there lots of work to be done. I have some pretty good basic knowledge of engine work and repair. Mainly working for a shop since 15. Pretty much just asking if its a good begginer car.

Thanks

novaboy009

Aug 13, 2007
Pittsburgh
Get an N/A and drive it into the ground after a blown head gasket at 80k miles.

I've put 25k on mine so far. Had to put a TPS and knock sensor rewire on it to get it out of limp mode, but I've never had it off the road for more then a couple hours.

Kev

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
If you are industrious, and have a little bit of mechanical skill and aptitude...then you can handle a Supra...I bought mine at 17, and went through hell with it (like every other Supra owner)...spent thousands just to get it to reliable running shape...

Now that I have conquered the "repair curve" I have now reached the plateau of reliability...LOL. The car hasn't really had anything wrong with it in about a year, and I have just been upgrading everything, and generally making the car even more fun...so yes, it can be an unreliable car if it wasn't taken care of (80% of Supras for sale, so pick a good one to buy)...and it isn't the easiest or cheapest car to own...but once everything is fixed properly, it is an amazing car and actually is very reliable.

hkstuner4590

Aug 27, 2007
Waukesha. Wi
yeah thats what i was going to start with is a n/a and fix it up until i have enought money to purchase a 7mgte and swap that in. The bad is that i really want to get a targa top model. I just love the way they look. Most of them are hardtop. but i guess ill take what i can get.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
If you don't have the income and the know-how to fix the car, then you are in for one bumpy ride.

These cars have typically been ragged on and not taken care of, so be prepared to have it sitting in the driveway more that you drive it until you get all the kinks worked out of it.

If you get one, I recommend basic maintenace to advanced maintenance first before you even consider putting a performance part on the car.

I know it kills some people to not be able to do this, but it's really the best way to go.

It's a slow car in stock form, but once you've built it up to be reliable, then they can be made quick, very fast ;).

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Mines been great.. had one BHG [5 days after I got car]. and one broken turbo. but the turbo in my eyes isnt seen as unreliability of the car. Oh and im only 18.. But ive done quite a bit of car stuff for my age.

Good beginner car if you've got the time and money for it. As its going to need a fair bit of it. heh

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
It all depends on how the person(s) before you have taken care of it. I really don't understand why so many of them get to the point they are and the next person has to go through so much crap to get it back to where it should be.

Obviously as a car gets older parts will fail and need to be replaced, but the cars definitely CAN BE reliable. The cars themselves are made well, durable, and reliable. It's the owners/previous owners that do not/did not take care of the car that mostly give these Supras the bad reliability reputation. My dad is the original owner of my 92. In the 15 years my family has owned it, it has been down a total of ONE week. ONE. This was when the headgasket was going bad. Get the headgasket fixed CORRECTLY and you will not have a problem with it. However, please keep in mind that is unfortunately is not the case with the majority of them.

The best way I think would be to just save up, wait, and find the one you want and one that's in great condition the first time. Research some of the problems and experiences of others to get an idea of what to look for. This Web site is a great place to learn. Some of the cheaper ones may sound good, but keep in mind you may be spending more than some of the more expensive ones in repairs, maintenance, etc.

Try to find one that has been taken care of- service records, smaller number of previous owners, and close to stock condition always are a plus. But the maintenance of the car is the most important thing. And remember no matter how great shape the car is, expect something to fall apart or fail due to age so keep that in mind with funds available for the unexpected.

Supra's are great cars- find one that has been taken care of and you'll enjoy it. I don't ever plan on getting rid of mine.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Not great if you do not know the history of the car. Luckily mine was in the family so I knew it was taken care of. Supra was my first car and I am still DDing it.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
IJ. said:
One of the very worst "first cars" you could consider......

What would you consider as a good first car then?

My car hasn't gotten a whole lot of usage since I bought it a couple of months ago, but it seems like everytime I go to work on or run the car, something else breaks. It may be minor stuff but still, it's bloody annoying.

Unless you're *in love* with these cars you're going to lose interest (and money), FAST.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The cars were bought by people that never bothered to open the hood.

As they depreciated, and the BHGs started cropping up, they got into the hands of people/kids that ragged them the hell out.

If you have $2000 to buy a Supra, buy one for $1000 - you WILL spend the other $1000, just in getting it back to stock(ish) reliability.

Why do you think there are so many build threads on here? After a while, you get REALLY sick of fixing all of the previous owner's screwups, and just pull the entire thing apart to fix it from the ground up.

But oh man - what a gorgeous thing the MKIII is, when in tip-top shape, as it was off the showroom floor.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Don: Something plain jane vanilla

4 cyl

slow

safe

cheap

rear drive would be a bonus but hard to find in little cars these days.

You know it's GOING to be killed while the newbie actually learns to drive
(getting a licence has very little to do with driving and more to do with learning how to pass a test)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
IJ. said:
You know it's GOING to be killed while the newbie actually learns to drive
(getting a licence has very little to do with driving and more to do with learning how to pass a test)
Wow... I feel like I have accomplished something now. LOL.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
i dove into the supra at age 17 as well, with NO money and NO mechanical skills

now i know quite a bit (thanks to this community and my friends), and i'm glad i did it (the knowledge is very useful)

and you get to have a supra, how many of your friends can say that?