Recommended torque on the head bolts

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Depends on which brand of bolts, on new Toyota head bolts the recommended number is 72 ft-lbs. If you're running ARP hardware you'll have to consult the paperwork that came with the bolts.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
IJ. said:
Jon: why not?
(The bolts get an undeserved bad rap they're really quite good going by Reg's analysis he did way back)

Ian, I have had a few actually snap on me when I went past 65 lbs....

:-(

Since the user doesn't know how many miles are on the bolts, if they have ever been over heated, etc etc etc I stated 65lbs.

I agree with you on them being good bolts. I have taken them to 80lbs before with out problems, and then I have taken them over 65 ft lbs and had them snap.

:icon_bigg

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Tqed my last 5M head down to 80ft/lbs after blowing the HG and overheting it numerous times. Figured the bolts were stretched to hell, therefor extra TQ. After a day of riding around, they hadn't even backed off like headbolts usually do in alum. heads, lol.

But I usually do 70ftlbs on engines not beat to hell

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
dirtlord420 said:
ok i got 145,xxx never been over heated. what would be good? also good compression.

If your dead set on reusing the old bolts I would say torque them down to 72 ft-lbs, if they snap take it as a sign and just replace the bolts. And if your going to get new head bolts you might as well get ARP's as they only a few dollars more than the Toyota ones.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Dirgle, why even bother at that point? If he goes 72 (using moly to lube the threads) and one does snap he's looking at new bolts and HG (assuming he's using a OEM composite type HG).

I'm with MDC, after about 20yrs of annealing and heat cycling I wouldn't go higher than 65 (lubed with moly) either... Personally, I wouldn't reuse them after they've been in service for so long.

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
no this is my d.d 7m ge. its running right now. i want to retorque them.

also on to my next 7m gte. its a "jdm" so what. didnt blow a head gasket. am using new arps. didnt get resurfaced because i have no idea of rod knock. using new stock toyota head gasket. what would be a good torque for it? thanks

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
dirtlord420 said:
no this is my d.d 7m ge. its running right now. i want to retorque them.

also on to my next 7m gte. its a "jdm" so what. didnt blow a head gasket. am using new arps. didnt get resurfaced because i have no idea of rod knock. using new stock toyota head gasket. what would be a good torque for it? thanks
Just retorque them.
The 7mGTE I don't understand what you are trying to say???

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
When retorquing on a head gasket that's been installed for a while you have to realize there is the chance that the metal jackets may have become brittle and may crack if you do retorque the head bolts. Doing it in numerous small passes and not trying to go as high as would otherwise be suggested may improve your odds, but there are no guarantees. Good luck.

As for part 2.... no idea here either.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
On the GTE, use the recommended torque specified by ARP. I'd get the head at least checked, and wouldn't even consider installing the engine without popping the oil pan and checking the bearings first. Its not that hard to do while the motor is on a stand, and silicone sealant for the pan is cheap. Better to check it this way than to have to pull it and reinstall it if it does knock. Might want to change the misc. oil seals as well....

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Goes double for what these guys are saying^^^At least have the head checked and smoothed over, less chance you'll be doing it again soon...

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
i will go back and check the bearing. at least that way i know. then i'll get the head resurfaced. mindswell do it right.