Recommended Exhaust System/Muffler

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
Ok, i'm new to this and I read the sticky and mostly understand what it's telling me, but I would like to be pointed in a direction that would accomplish what i'm looking for, and the sticky was too broad.

I want an exhaust system but may settle for a custom muffler for now for money reasons. I was wondering what a good buy would be that isn't too expensive.
I have a friend with a supra that has a flowmaster muffler, and its obnoxioiusly loud to the point where you can't talk in the car to someone next to you. I would like a good sounding low roar of a loud, not an annoying loud.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Well, it really depends on what your goals for the car are. Do you plan on staying N/A or go turbo? If you go turbo, I'd say get a 3" catback with a good resonator, and keep the catalytic converter. If you plan on staying N/A, a 2.5" catback would be ideal with a good resonator as well. The resonator will help to keep down the drone and the exhaust will be a little bit less raspy (as you don't have a turbo to help muffle the exhaust as well).

IMHO, I would say get a good muffler (of your liking), take it to an exhaust shop, and have them make one up for you. Take it somewhere to have the piping coated (or do it yourself via rattle can) to help prevent rust from forming, and voila! you have a new exhaust for your car!

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
^^^^^
It depends on what your looking for.
If your just looking for an add-on muffler ,or a complete cat-back.
Turbo's tend to need a 3 inch whereas N/A's use a smaller diameter pipe.
I plan on using a BIC DDR flowing through a 3 inch cat and exiting a Tanabe Hyper Medallion.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
supraman7mgte;1338099 said:
^^^^^
I plan on using a BIC DDR flowing through a 3 inch cat and exiting a Tanabe Hyper Medallion.

Very true. When my engine build is done (going turbo), I'm going to get a Magnaflow muffler, probably 3.5" in/out, have a 3.5" to 3" reducer welded on and make a catback out of that. have a flange welded at the end of that 3" reducer and a couple more in the piping to make it easy to transport (plan on having it high temp ceramic coated).

I personally like going the more custom route, instead of buying brand name (but that's me).

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
supraman7mgte;1338099 said:
^^^^^

thats exactly what i have, i love it and would recommend it to everyone. its very quiet at idle and cruising speeds, the DDP doesnt affect noise levels at low speeds, only when the wga opens.

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
I have an N/A 86.5 and I got a Magnaflow muffler. I went to a muffler shop and had the guy essentially make a custon catback for me, w/o the cat. He put a resonator in and put my muffler up too, was relatively cheap, but he did good work. My car is still pretty quite under idle and normal driving, but when you jump on it and want it loud, it sure delivers.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
WaKonabi217;1337910 said:
Ok, i'm new to this and I read the sticky and mostly understand what it's telling me, but I would like to be pointed in a direction that would accomplish what i'm looking for, and the sticky was too broad.

I want an exhaust system but may settle for a custom muffler for now for money reasons. I was wondering what a good buy would be that isn't too expensive.
I have a friend with a supra that has a flowmaster muffler, and its obnoxioiusly loud to the point where you can't talk in the car to someone next to you. I would like a good sounding low roar of a loud, not an annoying loud.

Any suggestions?

a. stock is very quiet. will sacrifrice flow/power. (can have a conversation)
b. electric cutout with close to stock sound (can still have a conversation)
c. full 3" with is going to be livable but sounds mean (what'd you say???)

there is a forum/poll

There are also lots of exhaust sound clips.

MA70AEROTOP

Sep 24, 2008
Perth
ive got a 2.5inch from manifold to highflow cat into a jza70 stock exhaust into stock resonator into a 2.5 inch to fart cannon with 5inch tip loud very very loud! :aigo:

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
I have a custom 3" stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust to a magnaflow street series muffler, cat delete, performance resonator, on my 1987 Supra 7mge. Most people on here will say that the 3" system will have lots of drone and will sound way too loud. Me, having a first hand experience driving the car each and everyday, i can say that the 3" system does not have much, if any drone, and is fairly loud, but exactly what i was looking for. Its is not very raspy and has a nice deep tone. I recomment the 3" system if you plan on going turbo later on, as I am.

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
Ok...this is gonna sound like a stupid question, but what is a cat-back? And what does it do to effect the sound. Another thing is, i'd like to stick with the dual-tip look unless i find a single i really like.

Any further suggestions?

earlingy

Sep 2, 2008
Huntsville
WaKonabi217;1346341 said:
Ok...this is gonna sound like a stupid question, but what is a cat-back? And what does it do to effect the sound. Another thing is, i'd like to stick with the dual-tip look unless i find a single i really like.

Any further suggestions?

Catback is replacing all the exhaust from the Catalytic-converter back to the end of the car.

I have a noname resonator and a magnaflow twin tip, 2.25" piping from the manifold-back, and no catalytic converter. When I first got it put on, it was just the magnaflow and no resonator. was very droney and blaring ricey sound. After I had the resonator put on, it isn't droney, just a pretty hum. As I rev it up, it stays very clean sounding, but gets pretty loud. I might say get a glasspack resonator rather than no-name, since it is better quality and longer. But just your mufflers and a muffler shop will be half the price of a premade company exhaust.

)Law(

Jun 27, 2009
PA
Hey guys i have a two part question and would be grateful for a answer. I have a 88 N/A and plan to go turbo a later down the line. I was wondering if i could put on a turbo cat back system like say HKS or JIC while in N/A form and if so any recomendations to as to which cat backs to use.

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
earlingy;1350083 said:
Catback is replacing all the exhaust from the Catalytic-converter back to the end of the car.

I have a noname resonator and a magnaflow twin tip, 2.25" piping from the manifold-back, and no catalytic converter. When I first got it put on, it was just the magnaflow and no resonator. was very droney and blaring ricey sound. After I had the resonator put on, it isn't droney, just a pretty hum. As I rev it up, it stays very clean sounding, but gets pretty loud. I might say get a glasspack resonator rather than no-name, since it is better quality and longer. But just your mufflers and a muffler shop will be half the price of a premade company exhaust.

So you have just the muffler and not a full custom exhause system? And how much cheaper would it be to have a custom exhause made. The pretty hum that has some beefy loudness (not too loud, nice loud lol) is what I like.

And one more thing...I live in Vancouver, WA, anybody know a good muffler shop...?