real supra news... please read if you think there will be a new supra

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
the next supra needs to be I6, anc come with the possibilty of a turbo, like the MK3 and MK4. it also needs to have useless back seats like those of all generations :)

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
1.5-2 hours in those back seats is no fun man, i did it to the Etown meet, and next year im driving. damn, those things suck hardcore. and the 88 and earlier seatbelts in the back are horrible, you cant loosen them once they are on, they auto lock.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I don't see why Toyota would make another Supra.
Really, it just doesn't make sense. It wouldn't fit their image, and they probobly wouldn't make that much money. If they did want to make a show-off car (ahem, volta) they are not going to use a now-outdated turbo I6 drivetrain, and consequently the Supra name wouldn't be fitting.

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
I think that the next Supra should look like the Solara only rear drive, TT V6/I6 or badass V8, 6 or 7 spd auto/ manual, and a rather large rear wing as a tribute to those damn MKIV's we know and hate but secretly love:)

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
toyota will release 'it' under the lexus name to compete wiht the bmw m and mercedes amg... it wont be cheap... I predict a v8 hybrid (using the new ls 4.6) IS coupe...

927mgtepat

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Brighton, MI
Once again if anyone read the article in Road & Track you would know the answer to the new supra. Road & Track is almost 95% acurate with what they say. There is a whole section on new cars comming out in 2008 including the new designed 350Z and a picture of the new 08 Supra. They even tell you that it is going to be built on the Lexus platform and have not a V8 but a V6 and be priced around the 350Z. They will have a hardtop and a conviterable version. There was alot more to the article including specs and other junk. If i had the article i would post it up. It was in the November Issue.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
927mgtepat said:
They even tell you that it is going to be built on the Lexus platform and have not a V8 but a V6 and be priced around the 350Z. They will have a hardtop and a conviterable version.

Can anyone say "re-hashed SC430":dunno:

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I WANT THE SC430. I just couldn't justify $66K. So I dropped half that on my Solara drop top - was even told that the Solara was supposed to be a Lexus but Toyota needed a 2-door to compete with the 2-door Accord.

MKIII N00b said:
that volta looks nothing like a supra...its nice looking but in no way resembles a supra.

In what way does the Volta look nothing like a Supra? - key word here is "look"

2-Door? Check
4 Wheels? Check
Hatchback? Check - I guess that could be called a hatchback
Wide (MkI)/Narrow (MkII)/Wide (MkIII)/Narrow(MkIV)/Wide (Volta) B-Pillars? Check
Aggressive styling? CHECK!
Low and Sleek? Check

The Volta "looks" very much like it would fit right in the Supra heritage.

And where did you see that this was getting produced for ANY part of the world? I have not yet seen this - and I am an avid follower of the Volta. This is a concept car - nothing more.

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
927mgtepat said:
Once again if anyone read the article in Road & Track you would know the answer to the new supra. Road & Track is almost 95% acurate with what they say. There is a whole section on new cars comming out in 2008 including the new designed 350Z and a picture of the new 08 Supra. They even tell you that it is going to be built on the Lexus platform and have not a V8 but a V6 and be priced around the 350Z. They will have a hardtop and a conviterable version. There was alot more to the article including specs and other junk. If i had the article i would post it up. It was in the November Issue.

Quoted for the Truth. I read the article too, and you are right about Road and Track being accurate.

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
Per one of Toyota's lead project engineer as said to me at the South East Toyota distributors training center "We all very much want a sports car, we much want to build a Supra, but they tell us no. We have plans, but we can not build it. But you can see we want to build it by our special project vehicles[i.e. the Voltra]."

Yoshi is a very very cool guy.

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
KeithH said:
I WANT THE SC430. I just couldn't justify $66K. So I dropped half that on my Solara drop top - was even told that the Solara was supposed to be a Lexus but Toyota needed a 2-door to compete with the 2-door Accord.

2-Door? Check
4 Wheels? Check
Wide (MkI)/Narrow (MkII)/Wide (MkIII)/Narrow(MkIV)/Wide (Volta) B-Pillars? Check
Low and Sleek? Check

And where did you see that this was getting produced for ANY part of the world? I have not yet seen this - and I am an avid follower of the Volta. This is a concept car - nothing more.

so youre right...buit i dunno doesnt appeal to me as much. IMO.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
KeithH said:

2-Door? Check
4 Wheels? Check
Low and Sleek? Check

You right , it has only been produced as a concept for auto shows so far. But a new Supra is not even that......just rumors.

SupraDread

Aug 21, 2006
New York
This was already posted in another thread about the same topic, so I will repost. Check Road&Track Nov. issue on page thirty something (I think page 36) there u will see the picture of the next gen Supra. It will be built off an existing RWD platform the Lexus IS. It soon come.

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
SupraDread said:
This was already posted in another thread about the same topic, so I will repost. Check Road&Track Nov. issue on page thirty something (I think page 36) there u will see the picture of the next gen Supra. It will be built off an existing RWD platform the Lexus IS. It soon come.

And then Read...

Raven97990 said:
Per one of Toyota's lead project engineer as said to me at the South East Toyota distributors training center "We all very much want a sports car, we much want to build a Supra, but they tell us no. We have plans, but we can not build it. But you can see we want to build it by our special project vehicles[i.e. the Voltra]."

Yoshi is a very very cool guy.

Road and Track isnt always right, either my sources have been very good at keeping their mouth shut, or R&T is wrong

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
KeithH said:

2-Door? Check
4 Wheels? Check
Low and Sleek? Check

Horrible argument. Corvette= 2 door, 4 wheels, hatch, wide, agressive, low and sleek. Does this mean corvette's fit the supra heritage? I could do this with about 20 different production cars right now.

IMO the volta looks like ass. I desperately wish toyota would come out with another supra but I doubt it will happen.
Economically it doesn't make any sense. They are taking over global market share with there extremely boring current line up, which does not warrant creating a Supra that would not make them very much money. In other words if it aint broke dont fix it and Toyota is doing fine selling autos without the supra.

SupraDread

Aug 21, 2006
New York
Raven97990 said:
And then Read...

Road and Track isnt always right, either my sources have been very good at keeping their mouth shut, or R&T is wrong
Check post 27 and 30 Road&Track are usually 95% accurate. I have been reading these mags for over 20 years and cannot recall the last inaccurate info release pertaining to a future model debut. You can go with your guy I'm not knocking that but, I'm going with my guys over at R&T. Since I live in Michigan we get the first International Auto show in Janurary and I will go as always and take a few video shots of the next Supra just to confirm for u nonbelievers.:icon_bigg