Re-dynod my 87 today, pretty good results

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Tonight Funky_Monkey58 and I took her out to meet a couple of guys from MN Sport Compacts at Granite City Brew Pub. We then took the Supra out on the Freeway. I can tell you the acceleration through 2nd and 3rd, up to redline is so fast it really surprised me. We did several pretty hard pulls with 12 and then 18 lbs of boost. All went well except we had some minor electrical issues on the way home. I don't think it is anything much and by the time we shut her down, was running smooth and boosting strong.
Had a 350Z pull up behind me on Division Street. I would have loved to have had a chance to spank him but there are too many cops and too much construction. He won't be so lucky next time.

Dan

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Thanks for showing up. Yes, Sean's fixing of the vacumn leaks really helped idle and I think also helped Shane figuring out the tune.

I am working a bit with Emilio to come up with a decent priced but adequate sound system. I really want to get the hatch area figured out so we can wrap this up. Moving the battery into the spare tire recess along with the sub will open her up a bit.

Dan

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
MRSUPRA I have been driving the Supra quite a bit over the last month. I am getting 15 mpg's with highway driving at 80 mph. Around town it is of course less. The Supra is a bit difficult to start with this cooler weather though. Froze 2 nights ago for the first time. Hopefully I can drive her for another month. I am already working on accumulating stuff for winter build. She is going to really be a beast.
Weather permitting we will be doing a couple of dyno pulls on Saturday. We plan to push up the boost to 26-28 lbs and she where she lands. We think over 600, but how far over???

Dan

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
have any of you MN fellaz go dyno at RS motors??? I used to live in North St. Paul/ Maplewood area? Back then had a Civic Hatch running low 11's @ Rockfalls.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
supersupramk3, I have had my car at RS before but never got on the dyno there. I liked Ron and I think his prices were fair. I think Shane at DB has more Supra experience and also really knows the AEM. We may have to try RockFalls next spring.
Funky_monkey58 is coming over tonight to do a bit of work on her so we can take her to the dyno day in Plymouth Saturday. I don't like driving her in the rain and it has been raining like crazy here.

Last edited:

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Can't wait to see what #'s you put out on high boost. The GT35R is an amaising little turbo.. Spools early, and makes 600+rwhp.
I did expect a little bit better MPG on the hyway with the E85. Did you try really leaning it out your fuel for cruising?

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I have not leaned it out for highway driving. This was at 80 mph. I bet if I only drove 70 it would be better.
Tonight we are changing oil and cranking up the boost. It would be sweet to get to 650 but I am not holding my breath. I just don't want to break anything.

Dan

Last edited:

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Well yesterday funky_monkey58 and I braved our way to MAP Performance to see if we could get over 600 rwhp. It rained on the way down and even though we tried and tried to get the manual boost controller to give us over 21 lbs of boost it would not. A ton of Evo's and Eclipse. I was the only Toyota that I know of that dyno'd. I pulled 507 rwhp at 21 lbs. There were some amazing cars there and I felt glad to be among the top and also that we didn't break anything. We did have a slow coolant leak though.
Today we reconfigured the wastegate and took her out on the back roads to dial her in. At first we had too much boost. I hit 31 lbs during a 50% pull. Actually hit fuel cut, first time ever on the 2JZ. So instead of having too much boost and slowly dialing her down, we opened up the boost controller and then slowly increased her up to 26 lbs. Damn, she pulls like a raped ape! I know we must be over 600 now. With all the 3rd and 4th gear pulls, I had her up to 140 a bunch of times. I am glad I was able to score the Wilwood BBK today!

Dan

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
It reminded me of trying to slow down at the track when running the quarter mile. Those OEM sure make a lot of noise when you brake hard several times from 140 to 0. Yes, looking forward to having them on.

Dan

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
p1421708_1.jpg

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I had forgot what fuel cut felt like. Damn good spike at 4700 rpm's. The AEM must sense that there is way to much boost. If we would have kept going it would have been damn near 40! Much better approach is to start with boost controller open, and slowly dial it up.