R154 Rebuil help

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
I'm reassembling my spare trans so I can have a moving vehicle, and in the process of putting the counter gears into the center housing, there is A LOT of lateral movement. As Illustrated on page MT-76 of the TSRM, the shaft has a lot of play through the bearing.

I've got the snap ring on the bearing, thats not moving anywhere, but it almost seems like there needs to be one on the shaft. Is it normal / okay for the shaft to move forwards and backwards? Unless the thrust washer provides all the backing and stabilization, but that seems like it's putting a lot of stress on just that ball.

Oh, also another question. The #3 hub sleeve (see page MT-69)... the little keys popped out, and the retaining clip things also popped out. Whats the best way to put them back in, and which direction should the long side of the keys face?

Any help is MUCH appriciated!

Last edited:

bitsnake

May 10, 2005
Dresden, Germany
the countershaft bearings have some more axial play since that are roller bearings. thats from construction, you can´t make all parts realy fixed, would need some movement to compensate thermal expansion etc.

question is: what means A LOT ? The rear bearing should sit properly in the center plate. i saw some r154 where this was more a loose fit (same on the main center bearing). can´t imagine this was by design, sometimes the outer bearing rings turn due to bearing failures. that could wear out the bearing seat.

John

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
the bearing sits very firmly in the center housing, but the shaft has probably 3-4mm in axial play. I'm guessing its okay, but it would be nice to know for sure before i get the whole thing reassembled!

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
there is some movement.the one bearing isn't going to hold it nice without the main part of the case holding it.
here's a pic,maybe it will help you explain better.
p490889_1.jpg

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
ok, another question-

page MT80, when it says to insert the locking balls and the interlock pin? Can anyone elaborate more on this? I've been trying to figure out what the hell they want me to do for about an hour and a half, and can't figure out how to do / what they're saying.