r134a -> r12

futara_dan

Boostin
Jul 30, 2005
Anaheim, CA
I was thinking of buying a used working compressor but it seems he was using r134a before he pulled it off of his car... I wanna stick to r12 but my compressor is bad, thats the reason for buying another compressor. Would it still work if I bolted it on my car and recharged it with r12?

Aug 13, 2005
Alberta
futara_dan said:
I was thinking of buying a used working compressor but it seems he was using r134a before he pulled it off of his car... I wanna stick to r12 but my compressor is bad, thats the reason for buying another compressor. Would it still work if I bolted it on my car and recharged it with r12?

Well as far a I know, when a system is changed over, all new seals are put in, new fittings and all other required parts. A change over in the AC systems usually cost about $1000. So I am not entirely sure on the compressor. Worst case senario is that you would only have to just refurbish the compressor to take R12 again. (and check for leaks in your system :naughty: )

But anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
"Jetjock, paging Jetjock...customer on line 1."

Search around for his posts. They will greatly educate you on A/C systems. If it was converted, the connectors are different on the high and low side ports. If it is still R12, I would say stay with R12. If you get a new compressor, I would think it would still have the R12 fittings since that is what the car came with originally.

I could be wrong, however...

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Usually when you retrofit a system you use the r12 compressor. since r134a works at a different temp it has a tendency to burn up the r12 compressors. I would make sure that compressor is still working perfeclty before you put it on but it should work.