quick Q about timing

86yota

Feb 17, 2008
upper darby ,PA
i want to know how much advancing i could do on a stock complete rebuilt 7mge? i was told to tune and test drive until it starts pinging then back off a little.

StevO9389

one wheel peeler
Nov 13, 2007
Clearwater
sorry to hijack the thread but i was wondering the same thing myself. how much of a power gain is there? my octane choices are 89 and 93

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Advanced Timing- Some advance their timing to 12-14 BTDC to gain extra throttle response/power, but keep in mind the "power gain" is minimal. If you do this, you will need to run 91 octane or higher, or you run the risk of detonation.

right out of the n/a upgrade FAQ

86yota

Feb 17, 2008
upper darby ,PA
ya i would say i gained more torque and respose not awhole lot i have'nt gotten on the highway yet to see what my high end is like with it yet will let you know manana.

NARSupra

Oct 19, 2008
Chico, CA
86yota;1155840 said:
ya i would say i gained more torque and respose not awhole lot i have'nt gotten on the highway yet to see what my high end is like with it yet will let you know manana.

...and you never did :3d_frown:

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
i would sugest using either dyno or gtech or even a stop watch in 2nd or 3rd gear turn it up in 2 degree incrament untill power drops of or time increases then back of i would do this again after every mod made icluding tuning as the engine will want different timing with every set up the hotter the cam the more advance it will most likly want i run 21degrees i have had it as high as 25 with bigger cams but for the love of god run high octain