Question about gauges

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
I looking to pick out some gauges soon. Are the electric versions easier to install? More reliable? More accurate? Mechanical versions are half the price with the same look. Can someone please enlighten me or share some experiances with both. Pros, Cons. I'm looking at autometer colbalts series.

Will mechanical be sufficiant on any of the following?
-Oil pressure
-Fuel pressure
-Boost pressure
-EGT
-Water temp
-Volt
-Fuel Gauge

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
For a long time the rule of thumb has been, if you're mounting them inside the car go with electric (a must for fuel psi, fuel leak on electronics = bad). I've seen cars (none of mine) with a leaking oil psi gauge, makes a huge mess by the time you realize it's leaking.

I do belive that mechanical is more accurate, but that would really depend on the brand. I like a mechanical water temp, just for the peace of mind, it will either work or it won't,(if installed correctly). Which brings up a point, mechanical gauges have sensitive moving parts inside the gauge, if installed to tightly, or tweaked when installed they will no longer be accurate. Electric gauges are more forgiving in that respect.

But, all that being said. I'm running the following:
Mechanical:
-oil
-water temp
-boost/vac
Electrical:
-fuel psi (inside car)
-egt (only available electric AFAIK)
-volt (only available electric)

I would have liked to have gone with an electric oil psi gauge, but did not have the $ at the time. But I have always used thread sealant (not silicone) on the fitting (including the brass crush fitting) of my oil psi gauges, and have yet to have one leak.

If you can afford to go all electric, I would say go for it (except for boost). With the technology today, I don't think accuracy would be a problem.

Hope that helps some, thats just from my experience.

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
Thanks, would anyone else like to share some experiances? Some guy was talking bad about autometer. I feel like some people look down on autometer in comparision to say HKS. I'm going to go with the best looking, best value. So if someone can tell me why autometer are a bad choice let me know. I want some facts not just they suck.

Justin727

T-virus infected
p114182_1.jpg

electronic greddy gauges have served me well.

GrandLordKhorne

Evil Turbo Penguin...
Jan 3, 2006
South MA, almost RI
I have done well on CF series Electric Autometers. I have found that the accuracy difference is so small on most good gauges that there is no concern either way.

It is personal preference I think, but doing electric gauges to me seems easier and less time consuming.

T34418L3ONE

Supra for brains.....
Jul 3, 2005
Pleasanton
dont cheap out on guages, my autometer ultra light boost guages' (mech) diaphram ruptured 2 weeks after getting it. So now i have a boost guage stuck at 15 in/mm

derK

Mar 31, 2005
CANADA
i used autometers for 3 yrs and when i switched to DEFI's i was blown away. Quality guages go a long way and i gaurantee you that if you get some autometers now you'll change your setup so often that the amount you spent on them you could've gotten yourself some better gauges like HKS, greddy, blitz, Defi's

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
when i do the gauges in my car, they'll be a mixup. i dont care if they're all the same or not. that being said, they'll be greddy, and defi. :)

-shaeff

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
T34418L3ONE said:
dont cheap out on guages, my autometer ultra light boost guages' (mech) diaphram ruptured 2 weeks after getting it. So now i have a boost guage stuck at 15 in/mm

:rofl: Same thing happend to my friend and my brother. My friend lasted just 3 days and he was only boosting 5 psi. My brother's lasted 3 weeks, he wasn't boosting at all......

Save your money and go with the name brands. You can get the electric 52mm Greddy's off ebay for about $100 shipped for each. Once you hold the gauges in your hand, you can instantly tell how cheap the autometers are compared to the other name brands.

Took me about 6 months worth of searching on eBay, but I got HKS p/h warning gauges, boost, oil temp, oil press, fuel press, and greddy p/h warning, water temp, a/f, 80mm boost all for around $400 total. They are all used but in excellent condidtion..... :evil2:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Autometer will work just fine

name brand is no better.

The reason you hear about all the issues with autometer is as always pure statistics. Autometer sell about 10x more than all HKS, DFI, Greddy, Blitz guages COMBINED. More guages out there More problems will be reported ;)

sarichmond

Vehicular Motion
Jun 30, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I'm installing Defi's now so I will let you know how it works out if your not in a major rush. My winter project. Also I can send you all the literature on them if you want. I went with them based on some installs I saw from a few of my friends here in Raleigh. Totally top notch as far as looks and options of install. PM me if you want me to mail you the entire catalog cut. I know this doesn't answer your question fully but the catalog cut could give you some ideas or info that you have not thought about yet.

GrandLordKhorne

Evil Turbo Penguin...
Jan 3, 2006
South MA, almost RI
Wow, never had trouble with my Autometers… I pushed 20psi in my 911 for 3 years on an Autometer mechanical boost gauges without a glitch… The one in my 89’ supra is over a year old without a problem… The only Autometer products I have really had any trouble with are there low line Autogauge stuff…

I would go HKS for the looks if they made a full set of gauges but they don’t…

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
figgie said:
Autometer will work just fine

name brand is no better.
Well autometer is name brand and there gauges are priced very closely to say HKS :). I know its not JDM but thats not what I'm about:biglaugh:
The only difference on the surface is style, which autometer offers more. I'm going to try autometer and see how they hold up. There prices are almost identicle, autometer offers more that match, which is important to me. If they all start screwing up, I'll let everyone know. Thanks everyone for your input.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
kwnate said:
Well autometer is name brand and there gauges are priced very closely to say HKS :). I know its not JDM but thats not what I'm about:biglaugh:
The only difference on the surface is style, which autometer offers more. I'm going to try autometer and see how they hold up. There prices are almost identicle, autometer offers more that match, which is important to me. If they all start screwing up, I'll let everyone know. Thanks everyone for your input.

yeah i screwed up when i said that

autometer is big :)

i myself run the Autometer nexus ;)