proud new supra owner

87matt

Feb 7, 2007
tucson,az
hello everyone

I just bought a 1987 supra turbo, it's a targa top 5spd. with 111k on the ticker. the paint is faded bad on one side and needs some of the 20 yr. hoses replaced. other then that it's pretty clean. I had a highly modded 95 probe gt that I parted out, I got sick of fwd and wanted a rwd car. I have been doing alot of reading on this great site. so far I have ordered a head gasket kit (2 mm gasket,arp head bolts,timing belt) plugs, wires, and I pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and get the rad. kit from supra store aswell. a water pump, put my rota slipstreams from the probe on there, going to do a oil change this weekend, probally going to do the tranny, and rear diff oil too. other then that I need to find a gauge pod to put the gauges from the probe on the car. thanks to the vendors I have found on this site I will be doing a drift motion IC, 2.5 pipes, car came with a 255 installed, a dp that needs installed,and 550's that I need to put on once I hook up the aeromotive afpr, and get that lexus air meter? I'm still looking into what I need to buy there.

once I get all the maint. stuff taking care of I'll start putting on all the goodies on.

well just wanted to say hi and see if there any others on here from the tucson/phoenix area.

later
matt

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Welcome Matt, and it sounds like you've got a good game plan worked out. Good luck with your car and glad you chose a supra...........lol

canadianbacon

Extra Crispy
Dec 10, 2005
Coquitlam, BC
Probe to Supra.. NO brainer!! Welcome Matt. My GF had Probe GT that caught fire.:3d_frown: I gave her my 86.5 and she loves it! Toyota forever!

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
Welcome to the forums.. This is your #1 resource. If you cant find it here, someone will help you find it. Do it right do it once :) Do it twice, make sure you learned from the first F-up.

Enjoy!

87matt

Feb 7, 2007
tucson,az
thanks for the welcome, I loved the probe but really wanted a change from the fwd, tranny breaking car I had. my probe would blow my supra away, however I can get much more out of this car. :evil2:

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Don't think AWD Probes were offered in the US.

Welcome to the boards. I, as well, would like to know about this "highly modded" Supr- er...Probe.

:p

87matt

Feb 7, 2007
tucson,az
sure thing, mods are as follows

65mm tb (stock is 60)
j-spec motor (200 hp, a-spec is 164)
colt cams 210/210
headers
borla cat back
rota slipstreams (12lbs less per rim)
mx3 flywheel 13 lbs after I had it turned down (stock is 22 lbs)
traction bars
test pipe that I made
external coil and gm hei ingitor
spec stage 3 6 puck sprung hub
prd short throw shifter
8mm plugs, ngk plugs
phoeno spacers for teh IM
eprom chip for correct VRIS points,egr disabled, increased fuel and ingition curves
s/s brake lines, clutch line, slotted rotors, hawk pads

I had h-beam rods, a megasquirt,and a supercharger set-up that I made for the car that was all going to be installed. I just got to the point were after 7 years I had enough of fwd and wanted a rwd car.

with the lower compression motor and the supercharger kit I made I was running high 14's with a 2.4 60' and trapping 105mph. hence why I wanted a change from fwd. that was before the traction bars though, they completely got rid of any and all wheel hop.

so with everything I had on the car right before I started parted it out I was making about 200 whp. never dynoed, with less mods my friend made 190whp and I would walk him bad. plus my car probes curb weight was do to 2600 lbs.

I'm not saying I would take down modded mk3's, I'm just saying that the stock on I have would lose to my probe. :shrug: it would out corner the supra (my supra) aswell. I was driving it for a while today and it feels pretty loose. probally something with my car though, I'm putting a reman. rack on in the near future.

as far as the awd probe I have never heard of that, awd 323 but never a probe. the probe is a mazda design, it just carrys a ford badge. the kl series motor is a excellent motor, with a two piece girddle and a 6 bolt main. there are alot of guys who have made over 300 whp on stock bottom end(over double what the a-spec makes) and a handfull that have made over 400, they don;t last long though. the problem is it's fwd, it's hard enough to get 200 whp to hook-up and be usable. once you go over 275 or so first,second gear are useless and your tranny is a hard shift from becoming a block of alum. with a couple big ass holes in it.

Last edited:

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
i remember a dealership out in Escondido(North San Diego County) had a black Ford Probe that said "GT-S" on the sides of it. the guy at the dealership said it was AWD & that he's holding the car for some guy from Vegas who was on his way out to pick it up.

oh well didn't fit in that car anyway(+ it's not a Toyota).

^_^

Boost Lee said:
Don't think AWD Probes were offered in the US.

Welcome to the boards. I, as well, would like to know about this "highly modded" Supr- er...Probe.

:p

87matt

Feb 7, 2007
tucson,az
the gts model was going to be a svt model. mazda pulled the plug on the mazda mx6 in 1996. ford did the same in 1997, but not after they released 5,000 gts'. the gts was the same as the gt, except it had all options, and two racing stripes. there was never a awd model released in the us, there could be one in another part of the world. mazda did make an awd van that used the kl series motor in japan, and europe I think. it was a transverse set-up and only came in an auto.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
87matt said:
sure thing, mods are as follows

j-spec motor (200 hp, a-spec is 164)

Everything sounds great...but I'm curious about this Japanese Probe. :icon_bigg
Would this be a series offered from a Mazda design that you're using...or did they really have Ford Probes in Japan?

Jeff

87matt

Feb 7, 2007
tucson,az
well the jdm motors came out of the mazda mx6. the ford probe is basically a mx6 with a different body. (kinda like the difference in f-body gm's) the probe drives,and handles like no other ford(other then maybe a cobra R, or the new gt) if you have ever drove a mustang you know what I'm talking about. :icon_razz

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
well just wanted to say hi and see if there any others on here from the tucson/phoenix area.

Yea there are plenty of people on here from PHX/TUC, if your ever up here in Mesa gimme a ring. If your ever up here on a Saturday night lemme know and Ill drag you over to the Pavilions car show and we will see if we can get some more locals to join us.

Also check out http://azsupracentral.com/forum/index.php for local meet info.

87matt

Feb 7, 2007
tucson,az
arz said:
Yea there are plenty of people on here from PHX/TUC, if your ever up here in Mesa gimme a ring. If your ever up here on a Saturday night lemme know and Ill drag you over to the Pavilions car show and we will see if we can get some more locals to join us.

Also check out http://azsupracentral.com/forum/index.php for local meet info.

sounds good, I lived in phoenix for 3 years. before I was married with a kid, I went there almost every weekend for the first 2 years.

I had just moved here from cleveland, ohio at the time and didn;t know anybody. I saw alot of crazy cars at the pavilions in that time :bigthumb:

my parents live in phoenix so I go up there once or twice every month or so.

jam4484

MKIII Lover
Jul 24, 2005
Tolland CT
Welcome to the forums. if you ever have any questions feel free to ask away because almost everyone on here is more than happy to help out no matter how simple the question might be.

Jon

87matt

Feb 7, 2007
tucson,az
jam4484 said:
Welcome to the forums. if you ever have any questions feel free to ask away because almost everyone on here is more than happy to help out no matter how simple the question might be.

Jon

I will take you up on that for sure. I have 550's sitting here, I guess I need a lexus afm,afpr(which I have) and a s-fac. I put the 3" dp on the car,changed all the fluids (tranny,diff.,engine) took it for a ride. the first real test drive:evil2: car feels much better after the 3"dp install. however the body roll in this car is crazy, feels like I'm on the big dipper back at cedar point. :3d_frown: looks like I'll be getting a sway bar set-up soon, I contacted drift motion about teh intercooler set-up, just wating to hear back about the things I wanted that are not on the web site. the new power steering lines/pump should be here any day. after driving the car today I think I will probally go ahead and get the rebuilt rack aswell. I also put the slipstreams on that were on the probe. did my first ever rwd burnout and power slide today.

all and all I'm glad that I sold the probe and that the mark III is my new toy. :icon_bigg

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
Steering with your right foot is a good time. Keep the shiney side up.

I recommend getting a wideband O2 asap, you will never have to guess again.

If you read thru all the problems people have increasing the HP you will notice almost all of their problem could have been avoided (except the BHG) if they had a wideband.

Contrary to popular belief you DONT need an adjustable FPR.

If your interested in saving a bit of money I am planning on making sway bars if your willing to wait and or be my guinea pig.