Professional tuning lexus AFM, Lucas 550cc, AFPR at dyno

ojonesjr

Boost Hungry!!!!!
Aug 30, 2005
PA
:1zhelp: Gotta to take my 90 Turbo to a dyno since making the upgrades. Problem is they have no experience with MKIII's. Especially with Lexus AFM upgrades. What can I take to instruct on how to tune? I know a wide band will help but unsure what else to tell them.

List of mods:
K&N FIPK
3" custom exhaust no second cat
57 trim turbo upgrade
5 spd
Lucas 550cc peak and hold
Lexus AFM
AFPR
Walbro fuel
HKS SSQ
Tokico Illuminas
Eibac springs
etc, etc...

I have to schedule an appointment before going and want to provide all I need. Please be as detailed as possible. Thanks.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Hey man I have basically the same upgrades as you. The only thing they tuned on my car was leaning the fuel out just a tiny bit. They used my safcii to do that and I made 317.4 rwhp and 312.2 torque.
I have lexus afm, walbro 255 fuel pump, 550 injectors, mbc set at 12.5, 3" exhaust from elbow back, no suspension upgrades on my 1991 supra yet. Thinking about dropping her 1.5 inches. Good luck on your tune.

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
yo man... i have almost the exact same mods as you... im still waiting on a bigger turbo before i dyno tune. Are you tuning with an s-afc? Or some kind of air/fuel controller? Thats what the people will need to know about... I would try to find someone who knows about supras. I have had people work on my car before and totally screw it up. So i quit letting other people work on it. Just try and search for some performance shops who know what theyre doing.... its worth the extra time and money...

ojonesjr

Boost Hungry!!!!!
Aug 30, 2005
PA
No s-afc. Took all my money making the mods listed. Live in Pa. Close to the Jersey border. If anyone knows a shop in Northern Jersey could assist with my setup that would be good. I want to make sure I don't lean out.

Red Dragon

Keep That on the Down Low
Jan 5, 2006
Austin, TX
you are going to need some type of fuel tuning mod for the person you are looking for to do something with. Otherwise what are they going to "tune?" They can look at your base timing, base fuel pressure and AFM screw setting, but for WOT tuning, which is what I assume you want, you have to have a way to adjust the fuel maps.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I forgot to mention I have an upgraded turbo. Didn't want you expecting the same numbers I got with stock turbo. You may get them still, I just thought I would let you know. Good luck.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
If you're talking to me, I haven't messed with the screw any. My ait to fuel ratio was just about perfect when I had it tuned. I mean before I had it tuned it was already about perfect. I installed the lexus afm and that's it. When I had it dynod the lines looked good. Hope that makes sense.

ojonesjr

Boost Hungry!!!!!
Aug 30, 2005
PA
Red Dragon said:
you are going to need some type of fuel tuning mod for the person you are looking for to do something with. Otherwise what are they going to "tune?" They can look at your base timing, base fuel pressure and AFM screw setting, but for WOT tuning, which is what I assume you want, you have to have a way to adjust the fuel maps.

What are some of my options for fuel tuning? I thought the AFPR would assist with that. Still trying to get some good ideas. Pretty much I'll have to travel at least 50 miles to get someone to do this. I want to make sure I've got what it takes to get a good tune.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
Without a SAFC you can't really tune anything with that setup. AFRP is across the board adjustments.

supramad77

supramad
Feb 5, 2006
Dartmouth, Devon, UK
I have the same problem soon. I have the lexus afm/550cc/3" turbo elbow and exhaust/safcii/walbo fuel pump/afpr/apexi digital boost controler all to fit except the exhaust.
What kind of HP can i expect with all this fitted. I have a stock turbo at this time.

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
get an exhaust... i think this setup should net about 300 hp at least... i am planning on upgrading the turbo before i dyno... car is healthy though...

supramad77

supramad
Feb 5, 2006
Dartmouth, Devon, UK
Sorry i have a 3" exhaust and 3" turbo elbow already fitted. I am running about 10 psi at the moment. I just wondered how bhp i might get when i get all the other parts fitted.
westonboege said:
get an exhaust... i think this setup should net about 300 hp at least... i am planning on upgrading the turbo before i dyno... car is healthy though...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I have a Garrett to4e and basically the same mods that you have. I am running 12.5 lbs of boost and getting 317 rwhp. Hope that helps you. I have stock elbow though.

ojonesjr

Boost Hungry!!!!!
Aug 30, 2005
PA
bcg04 said:
get a wideband and a SAFC or GEMU and should be good to go. Hard to know where you are at otherwise.

Do I have to get both the widebad and SAFC? Not sure what the GEMU is. My cost at this point is high. If you had to buy one for adjustments which would it be? Thanks for all advice. I'm almost there!

ojonesjr

Boost Hungry!!!!!
Aug 30, 2005
PA
bcg04 said:
well the SAFC is the cheapest. THe GEMU is the Greddy E-Manage Ultimate which is 3x the cost.

The wideband O2 sensor is critical to know your A/F so you can tune it properly.

Understand...Another question. Never been to a dyno shop but I hear they have widebands to do testing. If I buy the SAFC and then take it to the dyno, can they tune also with the wideband?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
If you have an safcii, then they can tune it for you. That's all I have and have never had any problems with them tuning it. Good luck. Check the parts for sale section. Alot of guys are going to the maft pro and are selling their safcii. Hope this helps you some.

ojonesjr

Boost Hungry!!!!!
Aug 30, 2005
PA
suprahero said:
If you have an safcii, then they can tune it for you. That's all I have and have never had any problems with them tuning it. Good luck. Check the parts for sale section. Alot of guys are going to the maft pro and are selling their safcii. Hope this helps you some.
Yeap, big help...I'll see if I can pick up a used one. Need to save a few $'s